Home | About | Donate

Humanity Sleep-Walking Toward 'Mass Extinction'

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/views/2019/07/11/humanity-sleep-walking-toward-mass-extinction

Primarily because our crappy schools put 80% of current adults into a coma by the time they were 16.  But not to worry — Butt-Head DeVos and her funny-dementalist cronies will get us back on the straight and narrow.   SURE they will . . .

2 Likes

The author should hope and pray…and then just learn to accept that a 4 degree C rise is baked in.

Meanwhile, Pres Kamacorey Klobubuttirourkibrand is going to get us back into the Paris Accord.
Woo hoo.

1 Like

On the “to do” list in Chennai: Buy condoms…

lhttps://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/11/world/asia/india-water-crisis.html

Ever notice that each COP talk gets billed as the most important, ever? Humanity is NOT sleep-walking toward mass extinction. It is getting dragged there by politicians and their corrupt political systems that run the world. COP 26, like all the COP talks, is their now unconvincing media event to pretend they’re doing something. On to COP 27 and 28 and 29 and …

2 Likes

“As with much of the news about climate change, this new research hardly got any press mention.” Thank you commondreams.org and Andy Rowell for giving us this information and for stating eloquently the current situation. Also, while the comments made to this article so far are painful to read, it is hard not to agree with the cynicism expressed. But cynical comments about political leaders cannot be our only contribution to this crisis: we as individuals and in our circles must do whatever we can to minimize the ever-more-likely catastrophe into which we are stepping.

1 Like

I agree; otherwise, this may be a future headline: GRETA THUNBERG AND MILLIONS ARE NOW DYING FROM CLIMATE DEVASTATION!

What you mean-um “may be”, Kemo Sabé?

And BTW, that’s “BILLIONS”, not “MILLIONS”.

Oh yeah more than baked in. We can’t say we weren’t warned

https://guymcpherson.com/extinction_foretold_extinction_ignored/

https://guymcpherson.com/2016/08/the-politics-and-science-of-our-demise/

https://guymcpherson.com/climate-chaos/climate-change-summary-and-update/

1 Like

Yes, I was being too conservative…thanks!

That’s probably true - and why Jim Hansen never bought in to these ‘shows’.

On the other hand, I am glad the UN exists, and their efforts on both climate and biodiversity exist.

At some point in the future, the UN may just be the most important institution we have.

And I do think we are headed for four plus deg C, i.e., a mass extinction level event.

Interesting way of looking at it.

I just read the Mother Jones article hyperlinked in this article - WoW !

You know, I’ve been wondering of late just how this climate knowledge has been affecting me ?

Surely, I am thinking, it must be. Just as in a war, everyone is a casualty.

Naturally we put on our game face and continue - but really - how is all of this stuff affecting all of us who have been able to grasp the implications ?

I’m not sure there are even any meaningful analogues - to my knowledge, no living creature has ever had to envision the extinction of essentially, their whole world.

The really good scientists are all sheltered from the real world in many ways -

And by choice and inclination are not political - not leaders.

I’m going to have to think about this some more ~

Yes, the only difference is to me, some of the world’s poor countries will be on the front lines of the casualties of the coming climate apocalypse. The rich nations will probably be the last of the war casualties.

That’s certainly the modern take on things, from the United Nations to this ‘progressive’ site.

And I have been thinking about this psychological black hole that this article discusses.

I’ve just spent some time at the local bookstore perusing the ‘Nature’ and ‘Science’ shelves.

Many indeed are the depressed and forlorn climate and environmental activists ‘burned out’ from the struggle, from the co-founder of the “Dark Mountain Project” to these climate scientists featured here in this article to David Suzuki, who at times has lamented in writing of the colossal waste of time spent being an environmentalist.

Even Reinhold Messner, a mountaineering mentor for me, who spent a term as a politician in Germany for the Green Party, said in his book "Antarctica’ that he never accomplished one thing during his time there.

Personally - they are all wrong, in my opinion, just suffering from that same sense of frustration and burnout, perhaps suffering somewhat from what I will call a Jesus complex - a mental disorder wherein one takes , or so one thinks, the whole weight of the world upon ones shoulders - a clearly delusional quest - in fact a mental disorder.

But that’s not why I am replying.

I have decided to let my artistic side take over once again, as it has several times in my life. Of course my artistic side might be rather thin - but whatever shreds there are have guided me aright in the past, and I hope will do so now.

To wit - I just bought a book by Robert Bateman, famed wildlife artist, who has long been an dedicated environmentalist. He lives on Salt Spring Island west of Vancouver.

The book is titled “Thinking like a Mountain”, (pub 2000).

As for rich & poor - countries and people - much depends on definition.

Those still close to the land are rich in that respect - perhaps the most significant form of mental balance - and one that I attained climbing.

Having been more civilized these last years, I myself have drifted unwittingly into modern ways of thinking, and the result - impending ‘burnout’.

So I will revert to my truer nature.

On this thread, although I could go on and on, I’ll leave the last words to Aldo Leopold, who coined the term “Thinking like a Mountain”:

"The cowman who cleans his range of wolves does not realize that he is taking over the wolf’s job of trimming the herd to fit the range. He has not learned to think like a mountain. Hence we have dustbowls, and rivers washing the future into the sea."

I enjoyed reading your reply…thanks.