Home | About | Donate

Hundreds Killed, Hundreds More Injured, During Stampede in Mecca

Hundreds Killed, Hundreds More Injured, During Stampede in Mecca

Common Dreams staff

Human tragedy unfolded during the annual Muslim hajj pilgrimage in Saudi Arabia on Thursday as more than 450 people were crushed to death, and hundreds more injured, as a stampede took hold during a procession in Mina, outside the holy city of Mecca.

Imagine there's no heaven
It's easy if you try
No hell below us
Above us only sky
Imagine all the people
Living for today...
Imagine there's no countries
It isn't hard to do
Nothing to kill or die for
And no religion too
Imagine all the people
Living life in peace...
You may say I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one
I hope someday you'll join us
And the world will be as one
Imagine no possessions
I wonder if you can
No need for greed or hunger
A brotherhood of man
Imagine all the people
Sharing all the world...
You may say I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one
I hope someday you'll join us
And the world will live as one
--John Lennon

Replace the word Imagine with Realise.

All that stuff Lennon mentions is actually the imagined stuff... even if it is believed by almost every last person on the planet.
Only humans are daft enough to believe all that shite... as my dog is forever telling me.

Particularly apt for this.

(i can't "like" b/c it says i've taken too many actions, but i just got on and only to thank the Pope--c'mon CD, check your "too many actions" software, and why have it anyway?)

So in the ritual stoning of the devil, the devil lurks. A very clever devil indeed.

This happens every year with the Hajj. I have a friend who worked years back for World Airways (now defunct), an airline that contracted to fly hundreds to Mecca on charters for the Hajj (had to be all male inflight and cockpit crews) and he said it was the WORST experience of his career as the passengers attempted to bring goats, chickens, and other live animals on board along with their hibachis to cook the newly butchered animals (in the aisles no less). There was absolutely no way of stopping them. Airport personnel did nothing. All passengers were wearing what appeared to be sheets and towels and many relieved themselves wherever they chose. He said all seemed to be absolutely dazed and completely oblivious to safety or sane behavior. Of course, they were all men...no women allowed.

The hordes of people bursting with evangelical fervor carrying their worldly possessions/offerings to secure their places in the afterlife and congregating all in one place always results in stampedes, serious injuries, and deaths. SOS year after year.

The problem with stoning the devil is that it becomes habitual.

And since the actual devil, red skin and horns, rarely shows up, one is reduced to stoning the nearest evil human being - shias, sunnis, non-believers, enemy nations, adulterous women.

Can a religion which regularly stones the devil really be a "religion of peace?"

I prefer the simple advice of the "I Ching." "The way to combat evil is to make progress in the good."