Home | About | Donate

Hundreds of Tenants Are Latest Victims of Silicon Valley's Creeping Inequality

"I don't resent the millionaires"

Herein lies the problem. If this were a nation that at least regulated the wealthy as vigorously as the poor things would look very different.

"Americans" for the most part have been trained from cradle to grave to revere the rich and if they are not rich themselves they place the blame squarely on their own shoulders--or so the predator class would have us believe. Time to throw off these fetters on our minds! How about valuing being a human being first--one's character-- rather than share such values we have been hypnotized with?

The site of the Reserve Apartments was an apricot orchard that I rode my bicycle through to take a shortcut doing my morning paper route in the early sixties. I escaped the valley in 1969 two years before the Reserve Apartments were built and well before it was called Silicon Valley. Sure was sorry to see those apricot orchards turned into apartments.

When you consider that in the 21st century foreign buyers account for more than half of the value of real estate transactions in Silicon Valley, this article illuminates one aspect of what the global economy really looks like.

If the federal and state govt.'s in the USA taxed corporations and the rich with a proper progressive income tax (with many tax rates up to 95%, instead of the current top rate around 39%) -- AND if all immoral USA wars were ended and if USA military spending was reduced by 50% (which would still make the USA military "#1" among all nations) -- there would be an abundance of federal and state money for subsidized housing for the poor and the working class, even in high rent areas like San Francisco to San Jose, LA to SD, NYC, etc. (and for Medicare-for-All, increased Social Security income, and many other urgently needed social programs for the 99%)!!!

HOWEVER, CA can't even make corporations pay a 50% tax (thanks to the corrupt corporate tax rate under Proposition 13) -- and the entire USA has reduced taxes for corporations and the rich for the past 40 years!

As a result, subsidized housing programs like Section 8 have been purposely under-funded for decades by both Republicans and Democrats -- so that MILLIONS of eligible poor citizens will NEVER get help paying for housing -- and they must pay 50% to 90% of their pitiful income on pathetic, inadequate housing! Over a 50 to 60 year adult lifetime, a poor U.S. citizen will have to pay over $200,000 (!!!) that the U.S. govt. should and would pay IF Section 8 Subsidized Housing was fully funded by Congress and it was available to all eligible poor U.S. citizens.

Section 8 Housing is a "federally mandated" program. Mandated means obligatory; it's a legal duty of the U.S. govt.! But the U.S. govt. has been taken over by the 1% -- so many legal and constitutional DUTIES of the U.S. govt. are IGNORED or VIOLATED nowadays!

Also, the inequality between U.S. rich and poor is the worst in 75 years; it's THE WORST among all big, rich "democracies;" the U.S. middle class is being pushed into poverty; over half of U.S. citizens are "poor or near poor;" workers' wages have been nearly stagnant for 40 years while the share of U.S. wealth owned by the richest 1% has increased from 7% to over 21% (up 3X!); and the USA helps its poor THE WORST of any of the 35 rich "democracies" in the OECD organization.

A good, recent book with many more appalling facts on economic inequality in the USA is "Runaway Inequality" by Les Leopold. It also has numerous charts that show the facts in a visual way that helps to make the facts more vivid.

I'm sincerely sorry you were forced out of your original home town by rich people's "investment and development" actions.
And I deeply share the feelings you expressed in the rest of your comment.
Except for your last sentence:
I don't think "we humans are a sorry lot."
I think most people, though imperfect at times, are pretty good, and sometimes are very beautiful, inspiring, and heart-touching.
Instead, I think it's the bad members of the human race that ruin it for everyone and everything else.
And I believe that bad people are most concentrated (and are most destructive) among the richest 1% and their political puppets, who abuse their "official" powers.
I don't blame 99% of people (or at least 75%) for what the richest 1% (or maybe 25% of the people) do wrong.

Carol, thanks for your reply, especially your last sentence, however...

I want you to know that I do not (as you mistakenly wrote about me) see humanity's good and bad qualities "as separate parts." I can easily see degrees of both good and bad existing together in every human being who lives now or who lived in the past.

I have posted many comments on CD that make this point of both strengths and weaknesses, both successes and failures, existing together in Bernie Sanders. (The same is true of Martin Luther King, Jr., Gandhi, and Mother Theresa!)

And just yesterday, I wrote that Bill McKibben, although imperfect and open to fair criticisms, is also worthy of much credit and appreciation for all of his hard work and real achievements in fighting global warming. And you read my comment -- so why would you say that I see good and bad as separate parts, when you know that I said good and bad exist in the same person (Bill McKibbon) -- and when I said in the same comment "(like all of us)"? That is, I clearly wrote that "all of us" are imperfect, which means that all human beings are imperfect -- which means that all human beings have good and bad existing together within us (actually or potentially).

Let me add for clarity and emphasis that while I clearly see good and bad existing together in every human being (as part of our human nature) that I also believe that each individual has degrees of self-control, decision-making, and responsibility for his or her own actions. I also believe there are degrees of good and bad -- and those degrees of good and bad are extremely important -- in their effects on others, and in how we morally judge those good and bad actions.

For example, a "common person" who cheats on his or her taxes by $1,000 is not as bad as a multi-millionaire CEO of a giant bank whose illegal actions destroy the finances and lives of millions or billions of people worldwide. Or a more extreme example: the bad actions of Ghandi were not anywhere close to the bad actions of Hitler! In sum, the degrees and kinds of good or bad actions make an enormous difference -- in their effects and in how we morally judge good and bad actions.

The point of all this discussion is that I disagreed with your original comment that "we humans are a sorry lot." And I repeat my original response to you that I do not consider the 99% to be as bad or as responsible as the super-rich and the super-powerful 1%. (The common people don't cause financial crashes, immoral wars, and global warming -- the 1% ruling class does!)

So Carol -- I really don't like it when you (or anyone) misrepresents me directly in contradiction of what I have said clearly and explicitly. It's simply not true and it's simply not fair.

In America, only the people with money matter!