Home | About | Donate

Hunger-Striking Detainee Tests Obama’s Will to Close Guantánamo

Hunger-Striking Detainee Tests Obama’s Will to Close Guantánamo

Murtaza Hussain

Since the age of 23, Tariq Ba-Odah has been detained at the U.S. prison facility at Guantánamo Bay. Never charged with a crime, Ba-Odah went on hunger strike eight years ago to protest his indefinite detention, as well as the brutal treatment he is alleged to have suffered at the hands of his captors.

What the hell does the headline of this article mean? To "test the will" of someone means to create an incident or provide an argument that causes someone to reconsider their conviction to do do something.

But as should be obvious after 7 years of his administration, Obama has no "will to close Guantanamo", quite the opposite.

Does the author of the headline mean "Test Obama's will to keep Guantanamo open??

This is such a moral travesty!

I hope that as "relations" advance with Cuba, that maybe that island's big-hearted people will repatriate those kept (illegally, a/k/a extra-judicially) on their soils for 12 years or more.

Islands can heal souls. I pray that these unfortunate souls--innocent of what they were accused of--will find peace. And to those who designed these torture camps, may they know firsthand what they did unto others.

I suppose he might have meant test Obama's will to keep claiming with a straight face he wants to close Guantanamo. Or test the public's will to keep believing he wants to close Guantanamo. It's definitely testing my will to converse rationally with Obama apologists.