Home | About | Donate

'Hypocrite' Holder Says Snowden Performed Important 'Public Service'

"I think that [Snowden's] got to make a decision," [Holder] continued. "He's broken the law in my view. He needs to get lawyers, come on back, and decide, see what he wants to do: Go to trial, try to cut a deal. I think there has to be a consequence for what he has done."

Every president in my lifetime, including Holder's boss Obama, has committed far worse offenses against "the law" than did Snowden. Including war crimes; including launching a war of aggression, which is the greatest crime known to humanity according to the lead prosecutor at the Nuremberg Trials.

Where is Holder on holding trials for presidents who engage in criminal activity?

Holder is a sycophant and a sell-out who tells public lies to shore up his position, and to shore up the criminal system he works in.

Holder has been totally effectual at his actual job, which of course is not to be a forthright lead prosecutor wherever that leads. His job is to never follow certain leads, if they implicate the war and looting system itself, or those who hold top positions in that system.

Well, I say .. Holder performed NO important Pubic Service .. and should be prosecuted.

"I think in deciding what an appropriate sentence should be, I think a judge could take into account the usefulness of having had that national debate."

There was a debate? The relevant questions were fairly raised and discussed? Where? In Congress? By the Obama Department of Justice? In the MSM? When? Perhaps I was sleeping all those months. What I do remember, however, was a lot of cursing, threats, leaping tall buildings of law in single bounds to judgment and condemnation, all propagated by the MSM, such that the possibility of a fair trial was, and still is, unimaginable. Which is one of the reasons why, as I recall, Mr. Snowden declines to return to the U.S. to face trial. Another, of course, is that his passport was revoked.

As far as I can see, AG Holder´s comments appear to be nothing but that kind of lip service in which apparently one lip doesn´t know what the other is doing.

Worse even, Holder implies that steps have been taken to fix the problems that Snowden brought to light:

" "We can certainly argue about the way in which Snowden did what he did, but I think that he actually performed a public service by raising the debate that we engaged in and by the changes that we made," Holder told David Axelrod in an interview... "

Remember that this corporate lawyer is the guy who just refused to prosecute a single big bank executive during his entire wretched tenure as the nation's top prosecutor, and who never even insisted that those crooked executives who brought on the Fiscal Crisis and the worst economic crash since the Great Depression -- a crash from which many Americans have never recovered -- have to leave their lucrative posts as part of those deals where the banks were fined for their crimes but given the right to avoid admitting guilt. Nice.

But then Edward Snowden, who risked his life and freedom to show Americans how their government was betraying them by spying on us all, and who did that act of selflessness without any effort to profit from it, is forced to flee into exile in Russia, while facing perhaps lifetime incarceration of worse if he ever were to try to return to "face justice" in his native "land of the free."

Disgusting is the only word to apply to Holder -- and while we're at it, to his boss, President Obama.

Dave Lindorff
founding editor of ThisCantBeHappening.net

Considering that more than 100 bankers served jail time for their roles in the 1980s savings and loan scandal, an event that negatively impacted less than one % of the people who were impacted by the 2008 meltdown, there is no question who Holder took orders from.

One thing those in power do so as to maintain that power, is embrace the heroes of those without power as their own even if they are the ones that that did everything in their power to neutralize the same .

Martin Luther King one of the clearest examples of that a man eliminated by the State as an enemy of the same, and then venerated by the very people who orchestrated his assassination.

Holder performs his function as do-nothing (good) AG - his record of domestic abuses of average people's issues and letting big-money banker/wall street parasites off the hook will go down as a pathetic (non) performance, but exactly what his "boss" Obama wanted (should be the American people!). The "harming American interests" he refers to re Snowden's public service, is not harming the American people's interests, but harming corrupt government - exposing abuses and corruption, and for-profit war-machine, et al! Holder should be right there by Obama's side at The Hague.......and Snowden and Chelsea Manning lauded as patriots!

Holder's DOJ made Occupy Wall Street's (OWS) activities illegal within 6 months of their September 2011 emergence.

Hardly "a do-nothing who did nothing substantial".

Kind of like calling Congress a do-nothing Congress. Although Congress does nothing to benefit the 99%, the 1% get whatever they want from Congress post haste.

and by the changes that we made refers, of course, to stepped up 'security measures' and prosecuting 'whistle-blowers' out to protect and inform the public of serious wrongdoings.

Hmm, hasn't Sanders said he thinks Snowden broke the law, as well and should be punished?

http://www.mintpressnews.com/one-presidential-candidate-supports-edward-snowden-not-bernie-sanders/214531/

Perhaps so, but the article is about Holder and his hypocritical presecutorial conduct against the other whistleblowers. The comments point out his failure to prosecute any of the Bush Leagues' criminal torturers and the banksters. Not about Sanders. BTW, many of us who support Sanders are quite aware of his being less than perfect in a number of important ways and we still prefer him to any of the duopoly's presumptive candidates.

Excellent point you make, indeed any "trial" of Snowden under present regime would be a complete sham trial.

Holder should shut up and stand in front of a firing squad. Manning performed a service, too. This pig administration cooked the kangaroo court to give him 35 years! for an offense that generally would get about 35 days.
Snowden's seen what the Obama hit squad does to its whistleblowers.

With his other faults, Holder does not appear to be very bright. He was apparently hired on to not prosecute Bush and Cheney at a time when it was probably not at all certain that the Bush-Saud-CIA collusion in 911 would not come to light, and he can be counted on to not do his job.

After failing to even seriously investigate the gangsters on Wall Street and elsewhere as the criminals they are this shameless hack has returned to his corner office to practice very lucrative corporate law. We must also remember that Holder was nominated by good ole Barry the Liar Obama as another in a long line of horrible appointments who would make sure that the oligarchs would continue to pursue their "interests". Disgusting.

Holder and Hillary would really want to lock Snowden up and throw away the key if they could. They lie when they say he can come back and put on a whistle blower defense. Under the Espionage Act, a whistle blower defense is specifically prohibited. Just more PR BS. Manning, Snowden and Assange may not deserve a parade, but they deserve our thanks, not a prison cell. It's the Holders, Roves, Haydens, etc. who deserve the prison cells. Despite their best PR efforts, a lot of us still think that all of the alphabet soup of federal "intelligence" agencies should be permanently shut down. They have done far more harm that good for the U. S. and it's world-wide reputation over the past 75 years. They primarily exist to help us keep third-world people (as well as our own dissidents) oppressed. Bernie may find it necessary for the campaign to say that Snowden has to face "consequences" for his actions, but I don't think his heart is really in it, and he tries to downplay the topic whenever it comes up. I think if he had his druthers he's let him come home unmolested.

As long as the US Citizen under 24 by 7 surveillance by those in power so as to ensure they all safe, I am sure they would have no problems with it at the level of the Government.