Home | About | Donate

I Am Greta Isn’t About Climate Change. It’s About the Elusiveness of Sanity in an Insane World

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/views/2020/11/18/i-am-greta-isnt-about-climate-change-its-about-elusiveness-sanity-insane-world

7 Likes

Humm. Anything in the film about Greta’s insane endorsement of Frackin’ Joe, and what that actually reveals about her (and her media machine’s) integrity?

1 Like

Frist rate article:

"locked away in a personal world from which there can be no escape – that, paradoxically, Thunberg herself has managed to overcome through her deep connection to the natural world."

@Jayce You would have to be particularly dense not to know why Greta endorsed Biden. I presume you are one of the insane normals highlighted in this article.

7 Likes

Um… I’m a leftist. Leftists have known exactly what Biden’s been about, for decades.

And since Greta & Co aren’t stupid, they know, too.

1 Like

‘The ideological system we were born into, that fed us our values and beliefs as surely as our mothers fed us milk, is insane. And because we cannot step outside of that ideological bubble – because our lives depend on submitting to this infrastructure of insanity – our madness persists’ -from article

this well sums up our predicament. as does this: civilization is ecological cancer. it’s predicated upon the destruction of the natural world, to be replaced by an artificial world in which everything possible is controlled by humans, for the short term benefit of mainly a tiny minority of us. notice i wrote ‘short term’, for clearly, ecological cancer is not good for anyone in the long term.

this brings to mind another great and somewhat famous quote from krishnamurti: ‘it’s no sign of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society’.

i’m not through reading the article and i wish to point out one criticism. the writer refers to ms. thunberg as a ‘child’. the idea that post-pubescent humans are routinely referred to as children or juveniles is itself insane. scientifically, puberty marks a clear demarcation between juveniles and adults, of any species, for it is the ability to reproduce that delineates. the fact that for a long time now western societies have arbitrarily adopted particular age limits to legally delineate that boundary doesn’t change scientific truth. personally, i’m pretty sure the reason why ‘authorities’ have chosen to label and treat post pubescent teenagers as ‘children’ has a lot more to do with facilitating their ability to disempower and control us than with anything else, and i wish the more intelligent and enlightened among us would stop agreeing with and promoting this fiction. to educate oneself further on just how arbitrary and recent this practice is, check out the wikipedia article on ‘age of consent’.

7 Likes

If journalists should “afflict the comfortable…” then Mr. Cook’s succeeded. Look at how badly we’ve bungled the Covid-19 threat – a threat that’s right in our face. How much easier to live in denial over climate change, and environmental devastation more generally. Our minds may scream at us that what we’re doing isn’t anything close to enough, but many of us in a position to do something, including me, are just too physically comfortable. We’ve got toys and necessities at our fingertips with Amazon. Instant gratification with on-demand or streaming video,… We’re doing okay. I really admire Greta Thunberg, but I lack her sanity; it’s too easy to live well physically, while ignoring the urgent reality that we need to act now to save the planet’s habitability. It’s easy to start blaming Fracking Joe, but what are we fracking doing?

4 Likes

The four groups of insane will soon see their bubble burst with 1/3 of earth’s environmental resources destroyed as depicted in Revelation 8, due to the love mankind has for the things his hands produce (Revelation 9:20), which today are produced primarily through fossil fuels.

Revelation 9:20 And the rest of the men which were not killed by these plagues yet repented not of the works of their hands, that they should not worship devils, and idols of gold, and silver, and brass, and stone, and of wood: which neither can see, nor hear, nor walk:

What - you think being a leftist gives you good judgement - or freedom from stupidity.

Think again.

3 Likes

Frackin Joe is the clay we have to try and mold into something better. We have no other choice. I know it’s a bummer, but WTF. Psychotic Sociopathic Neo Nazi/Fascists, KKK/Johnny Reb wannabe slavers, and Re-RatF*uk-licans are un-moldable, un-curable, so sick and twisted that only death will free them of their insanity. Till then SuperMax’s and Psych Wards are good places to bed them the down till they pass. (giggle) These people can’t help the way they are, they were born without the full compliment of human genes. (the genes for compassion, love, kindness, etc) They are the Dreaded Sub-Humans {see Twilight Eyes by Dean Koontz for further explanation} (more giggles along with a few chuckles and a lot tears)

5 Likes

I’m laughing till I cry myself to sleep.

Apparently, my judgement is better than some.

For example, I’ve garnered ~five times more upvotes on CD than you have.

But by all means, keep up the personal insults. After all, it’s not as if you can defend Greta’s support for anti-environmentalist Biden with actual arguments.

No, you’re stupid. It was not “support for anti-environmentalist Biden,” it was simple recognition of the whole-'nother-category horror that is Trump.

Feel free to carry on with your entirely pointless smug righteousness.

OBTW, your up-votes do a lot for the crises we face. Thanks so much.

4 Likes

Hi Jayce:

I am truly impressed with Greta and the work she puts into what she believes, and I believe what she believes. In fact she is more committed to her work than many politicians are. In fact, I just had a conversation with a women on this site who thinks like you, who, like you acts as if the program or the person is not perfect—then they are frauds and why would I support them.
Greta is well aware of the problems----but still with facts and clarity she is accomplishing more than any politician. She is not looking for POWER----but for CHANGE in this word—before it is too late. : )

4 Likes

I’m sane.

No, I don’t necessarily need to tell you this, but I will. For 25 years I have daydreamed and laid around in bed. Then I got up and wrote down my engineering daydreams on paper. Now I’m pretty sure that my collection of solar and climate inventions is world-class. If the great majority of my world weren’t utterly and collectively insane, they would save their own lives, probably from mass starvation.

Insanity really is a hell of the mind, a terrible dis-ease, a moral injury. If you would leave this hell behind, a place where you fear that your entire family could starve to death someday because of your own inactions, there is redemption for you. However, you’re going to have to do something for your redemption.

First choice, if you have the noodle for it: invent. We need you.

Second choice: form a coalition around an inventor. Be a team. Magnify what the inventor does. I have seen a bunch of inventors in my lifetime. A guy near Minneapolis was building an above-grade transit system by himself for free. Jon Ricker of Shrewsbury has been a financially unsuccessful wind turbine innovator for years. In a good world the innovator would get paid simply for working 80 hours a week on something good, and all of his co-operators would get paid too.

Third, set up a government that sponsors climate R&D. Your region will make a vast amount of money. Denmark plunged into offshore wind R&D and made out like a bandit. The Massachusetts state legislature supported the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, and so Cambridge, MA has had zero percent unemployment for maybe 70 years now. California did the same in Silicon Valley.

If you think all the evil, un-moldable people are republicans, you are part of the problem. That is exactly what Joe Biden is, evil and un-moldable.

1 Like

Hi Hen’s Teeth,
** I think you’ve got it together! The other day, I had a conversation with a good friend, and made a comment mildly critical of Biden and had to listen to a long paen for Biden and how he was the hope of the world.
** I finally got a word in edgewise and told him that if Biden turns out to be the paragon you are describing, then I will become an enthusiastic supporter, but if he does what I expect and parrots what Obama did and appoints a bunch of old Reaganite billionaires to run the agencies which were supposed to regulate what they were doing, then I stand on my principles. I was assured by my friend that he would work hard to help We the People.
** I don’t know if you have noticed the calibre of the people he is already appointing to his cabinet, but it looks like “deja vu all over again” to me. I’ve often thought that the only campaign promise he’s ever kept was to the first bunch of billionaires who had an $“X” thousand a plate dinner for him when his campaign began. "Folks, you don’t have to worry. If I am elected, nothing will change for you."
** And indeed, it appears that little or nothing will change, for the billionaires. We"Po’ Fo’ks" can just go down the tubes, there are plenty more to replace us.
** You keep on, Greta! The world needs an injection of sanity, and you are one of the few holding a syringe. Thank you, my Dear, thank you.
;-})

2 Likes

Thank you, Terry, for hitting the mark and for your excellent post.

4 Likes

Thanks for making me aware of ‘krishnamurti’ ( Jiddu Krishnamurti - Wikipedia)

I thought this very interesting, particularly the reference to science as a form of ‘religious spirit’.

from Wikipedia:

Jiddu founded several schools around the world, including Brockwood Park School, an international educational center. When asked, he enumerated the following as his educational aims:

1. Global outlook : A vision of the whole as distinct from the part; there should never be a sectarian outlook, but always a holistic outlook free from all prejudice.
  2. Concern for man and the environment : Humanity is part of nature, and if nature is not cared for, it will boomerang on man. Only the right education, and deep affection between people everywhere, will resolve many problems including the environmental challenges.
  3. Religious spirit, which includes the scientific temper : The religious mind is alone, not lonely. It is in communion with people and nature.
3 Likes

Greta- keep up the great work,… the great sounding…

If you had the eyes to see and ears to hear, you like Greta, would see the Planetary Emergency Unfolding… Humanity has changed the systems of this world which are responding… You-yes You live on a planet that has been greatly damaged by your race, the Human Species. Everyone is at fault because they live within a Human Industrial Civilization, some more at fault than others… Now-it is too late to reverse the changes because Earth is a planet with many feedback loops based on physics-biology & chemistry amongst others… So it is too late to stop this for it will get far worse…You must now prepare for a new way of living…we have not seen changes such as this since the melting of the last Ice Age, 10,000 years… If you are not scared, you should be. Do not panic, but start to take decisive action to learn about what is happening and work to change your life and the system around you…

Like Greta, everyone here has been sent into this world on a Mission. You are not here by accident. You have a Calling to follow. a newmessage has been sent into this world as a response to what is happening…

“Great change is coming to the world, and people around the world are feeling this and sensing this and seeing the evidence of this. But the great change exceeds people’s concerns and expectations.”… from “Facing Planetary Instability” from the NewMessage.

You have time, but not much time.

No.

There is no mention of Joe.

All Greta and that’s all we need. No talk of republicans or democrats but human beings. We’re all in this boat together. I watched the movie and cried multiple times. What an amazing young person. Hats off to her father (don’t see her mother much in the movie?) who seems to be a likable person as well.

All I can say is watch the movie and you will realize what an important thing this young person has done getting people to think about the climate the way it needs to be thought of!

4 Likes