Home | About | Donate

'I Can Do It If I Want': Trump Threatens to Declare 'National Emergency' to Build Border Wall

'I Can Do It If I Want': Trump Threatens to Declare 'National Emergency' to Build Border Wall

Common Dreams staff

Speaking outside of the White House on Friday as the government shutdown continued with no funding agreement in sight, President Donald Trump threatened to declare a national emergency to build his "border wall" if he doesn't receive the more than $5 billion in funding he's demanding from Congress.

"I can do it if I want," Trump proclaimed in response to a question from a reporter. "We can do it. I haven't done it. I may do it. I may do it."

Watch:

Trump: “keep the government closed for a very long period of time, months or even years.”
The collapse of ‘society’ will come soon enough with Trump as it’s cheerleader.

This society fully collapsed a long, long time ago. It would have to have collapsed to un-fund its schools decade after decade, To basically eliminate all banking regulation, to sponsor more terrorism than all other terrorist organizations put together, (most of which are just satellite companies of our own terror network), to be the largest current manufacturer of nuclear weapons, to leave its elderly without healthcare or retirement, to abolish all environmental regulation, to persecute people who report on its illegal activities, to manipulate its electoral process, to infiltrate and manipulate its media organizations, etc.etc.

He said the workers would not get paid as they were all democrats. Does he have access to that- and does it matter? They are people and this effects all of society. For him not caring ( and his members of congress0 they should all be impeached. They ARE getting paid. Just left a message at a newsroom to report this.

According to this scenario we have no choice but to go all seventeen hundred French peon on our elected legislators.

He better hop they aren’t all democrats, otherwise who will do his bidding, after all he supposedly is the leader of a government, If they are all unpaid democrats, who is he leading? Sure, I know the NSA, CIA FBI, DOD, DEA, ICE, etc, etc, they all somehow still get a paycheck, so I guess they are the only government he respects.

Did people forget- they were part of the engineering of the recession and the banking “crisis”
I don’t think republicans remembered that one week into the Obama admin

This is treason against his own people. This is facism. Still people will fiddle while Rome buns
I think its pretty clear he doesn’t care about the American people, or “Rome”, unfortunately hes not alone but has damn near half the country or more with him on that point.

Did people forget- they were part of the engineering of the recession and the banking “crisis”

This is treason against his own people. This is facism. Still people will fiddle while Rome buns.

Where do we set up the guillotine? I’ll bring the basket.

They remembered- they just hoped that people “forgot.” Clinton and his congress deregulated Wall Street all the way back to 1999.

You’re making silly comments while people are suffering. I called our members of congress and also left a message at a newsroom about how members of congress and the administration were getting paid. Silly and immature comments are typical of this site for rich, retired people from the USA>

BTW- very silly and inappropriate picture.

don’t bother, lets kick it around awhile - let it roll if you will.

OH MY GODS WILL SOMEBODY PULEEZE GET THE STRAIGHTJACKET AND FROGMARCH THIS MANIAC OUT OF THE WHITE HOUSE AND INTO A PADDED PRISON PSYCH WARD???

sorry… freak out aborted for the sake of my sanity…

I also just finished emails and voice messages to my congressional people for what good it will do and emailed and texted the crap big Orange has been spouting the past few days to family and friends for all the good that will do as well. Trump lovers in the main there too…

Really? So half the country doesn’t care if part of the military including the Coast Guard gets paid? Please report that to the news as well. Half the country does not want the Wall.

If you are insane, then whoever represents you must also be insane. These oligarchs are completely out of their tree and beyond rehabilitative hope. There is nobody sane who could possibly represent them -or as the saying goes “nobody in their right mind”.

Every POTUS has had these powers formally since 1947 and the issuing of National Security Directive No. 1 under the cover of the bipartisan Cold War National Security Act. This is to “protect” the Exceptional Nation from red commies and the yellow Asian hordes – and whoever else is the (usually) non-white enemy of the moment. They have been used non-stop by every president - sometimes overtly, sometimes covertly - as the US Empire occupied nearly entire biosphere on behalf of capitalism.

So Trump is not “abusing” POTUS POWER. He simply brags about it. The ignorance of media and academic elites about what the National Security State is boggles.

Day by day, scarier and scarier…

Half the country votes republican, 100% of those elected republicans support trump. 2+2=4

And if that doesn’t work…what’s next? Martial law until I get the 5 billion $$$ for my wall!