Home | About | Donate

'I Can't Overstate What a Farce This Is': Trump DOJ Says It Is Still Reviewing 'All Available Options' to Revive Census Citizenship Question

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2019/07/05/i-cant-overstate-what-farce-trump-doj-says-it-still-reviewing-all-available-options

These people just want what they want, and will break any law they want to get it.

Where’s the men on the grassy knoll when the world needs them?

5 Likes

Ever since Bush2 there has been this problem of presidents ruling through signing statements, it has to stop, it is not Law! A signing statement is to guide an agency on how to apply a newly signed law. That’s it, nothing more, nothing less. O but gee, they don’t like a law or a courts decision on a law or there is no law they think they can just issue a law. Wrong and following such a device is unconstitutional and most likely against the law. I am sick of the over reach of presidents acting on their own. Anyone running for president must pass an elementary school class on civics, even obama ran amuck with signing statements. It has got to stop.

8 Likes

I wish we could give all presidents a Constitution Test, to show that they had at least read it all the way through. It would be PASS/FAIL of course, and Congress wins if the President fails ------and no fair for any president wearing a piece of 21st century cheating with an ear bud for answers.
I would also like this done to everyone before they are seated in Congress, and done every year, because I don’t think many in Congress have even read it once!
Ben Franklin did say we had a republic if we could keep it. We need to make sure that elected people know their own Constitution!

Why isn’t Barr in jail until his contempt is settled?

Would trump obey the constitution if he didn’t like what it says?

7 Likes

Why indeed?

I bet a baseball bat might be the only kind of teaching tool he might actually learn from.

1 Like

I admit, I’m very confused. I’m also pissed for being lied to by my civics teachers. It must have been a conspiracy, they all taught the concept that the Judicial branch operated independently from the Executive branch, dirty filthy liars. Now I know the truth, the President directs the Justice Dept. If he/she wants a ham sandwich investigated, they have to comply.

Seriously, the SC promoted this behavior, by not just saying NO. They know what Trumps about, it must give them pleasure watching this DC bullshit. Everyone just needs to say, if the question appears on the forms, we wont answer it period. For those of you worried about legal ramifications, realize the highest court in the land said “not now”. A big hearty FU to Trump and the repugs.

5 Likes

Why aren’t all that have refused to testify to the oversight committee in jail, we all know, non-existent opposition leadership in the house. Hard to do with one party, with two names.

2 Likes

We assume that those committees have the power to"Lock them up." But is it that easy, or can they have a day in court without serving any time?
The dems are cruising for big trouble from their voters. Weak committees not doing their job. Leadership balking on impeachment. Members are far from in a solidarity mode.
The ten or so big items that will be hashed around during the debates are worthless if they don’t show any balls on holding trump and company to account.

So Barr hired a goon to investigate the why and where for of the Russian hacking and tampering investigation.
So which dem majority committee is going to investigate the premise of the investigation into the trump investigation that led to the Russiagate investigation. I guess we can play this asinine game till the cows come home.
Oh, and by the way, will dems be able to pull all the crap that trump has pulled, and they too be immune from scrutiny or held to account if they dare to be such assholes.

1 Like

I think we’re all seeing just how much the two parties who have ruled in Washington DC for the past 240 years have conspired to have it all.

It’s the People’s responsibility to hold them to account.

Can the people of America show the Uni-Party that they will no longer allow the corruption of the past to continue?

It will be a hard slog to get even a few percent of the electorate to refuse to change political parties, let alone a percentage that would threaten the Uni-Party’s eventual majority.

As you are aware, there are those here who will never stop voting for the party they have voted a lifetime for.

3 Likes

As enumerators in the 2010 Census, we were always reminded that any household or person could refuse to answer any question or the whole census on religious or personal grounds. But we did have to indicate that the address had been personnally verified in the refusal…

Many of the individual questions on the Census in past years were left blank, which is frustrating to family historians.

If Don is somehow successful in ignoring a Supreme Court decision, then all bets are off. By precedent, odds don’t appear in his favor, but to express the desire to countermand the SupCt?

1 Like

I guess I should say, they used to have he power to find an uncooperating witness in contempt, and jail, at least that’s what I was taught. That is supposed to be one of the functions of the Sergeant-of-Arms. when all of this started to come up under Trump, they talked about the fact that there was no place to jail them in congress (the old room used for this, is now storage, or something like that), but there’s no reason the DC jail couldn’t be used. Small towns without jails use other towns jails all of the time. I suspect weak backbones in these committees, is more likely the reason. The Russia hacking theme, as far as I’m concerned is dead, already been disproven (except in small amounts, most of it after the election, according to Aron Matte), but I’m sure you’re right, they’ll ride that dead horse as long as it keeps distracting the people. As far as Dems facing the music with their voters, the good news is (if you can call it that) that Trump and the repugs actions have pissed-off the people even more than the dems inaction, they’re probably safe in that regard. Just my opinion. Of course none of what we’re talking about has the vote scam factored in, like Microsoft, an Israeli security company, and the Pentagon overseeing the election security in 2020, what could possibly go wrong./s

1 Like

Yes, the president is a genius, he’s a brilliant dumbass.

1 Like

Exactly so Brian! Beside packing SCOTUS by hyper-partisan politicians with younger and younger nominees, also partisan hacks and criminals, they also told us and taught that there was a “separation between church and state” - a wall between them that is being torn down by this and previous regimes - that “separation” was obviously BS now used by smarmy scum to bolster political support, via premeditated contamination and subversion. Even semi-secular government has been whipped by churchy nutters and extremists demanding that all others do and think as they believe and say - not to mention overt political manipulations and demands on government foreign policy decisions, both domestic and foreign…

1 Like

Couldn’t agree more. There many systemic changes that need to be made to the way the 3 branches of government work.

1 Like

Trump is feeding into his base, these kind of acts are actually vote getters. It’s not that he is brilliant (far from it) but he is a demagogue that obtains his power from the festering racism and xenophobia that is so prevalent in the United States.

Interesting perspective …

3 Likes

Therein lies the rub. Since the attorney general is appointed by the POTUS, and he controls the entire federal laws enforcement apparatus, and that apparatus is what would serve warrants and enforce subpoenas against a corrupt Administration, there is technically nothing that can stop an utterly corrupt POTUS from doing what ever he wants so long as a crony AG is on board. Remember, in watergate they went after Mitchell first. The biggest mistake made in Iran contra was that they didn’t corner Meese first.
In short, so long as the POTUS can appoint a political sycophant to the AG post, they are relatively immune from anything the congress or SCOTUS tries to do to them. I believe it was Jefferson who first warned us of an “imperial presidency” during the days of the constitutional convention. His warning has gone unheeded, and the logical conclusion has occurred.
We are a fascist state, led by a megalomaniac, elected by the system, and there’s basically nothing we can do about it, short of what we did the first time we escaped the tyranny of a tyrant of course.
Everybody on the left keeps asking, how do we save the republic? when the question we should be asking is, should we? Just removing Trump will not change the electoral college. It will not change the senate. We will still have 9 unelected unquestioned monarchs on the High Court. The system isn’t broken, it failed. Time to let it die.

1 Like

always weird seeing John playing before Davey J joined the band. RIP Dee Murray. Incredibly underrated bassist.

Great clip from a really good show.

2 Likes

Picture the scene:

Barr and/or Ross go before the Chief Justice.

“Is this a good enough reason?”

“Nope! Try again.”

A few days later.

“Is this a good enough reason?”

“Nope! Try again.”

“How about this reason. Come on Chief Justice Roberts, were running out of ideas,”

"Well, okay. Good answer. I guess that will do. You can add the citizenship question to the census. Yeah! We got to where I wanted to take the country anyway.

1 Like