Home | About | Donate

I Can't Vote. If You Can, You Must

I Can't Vote. If You Can, You Must

Chelsea Manning

In an era of increasing dissatisfaction with and disengagement from governments, political parties, and much of the rest of the democratic establishment, it’s more important than ever that you show up and vote.

Suffrage is not a right afforded to everyone. Rather, voting is a privilege in the United States – and a hard-earned privilege at that.

I'm glad that you are allowed to use a computer and stay in touch, Chelsea. I live in Ohio and fortunately, felons are allowed to vote. It's consistent with giving a person a second chance. I have learned form canvassing that many felons in this state do not know that they are able.

Greetings and hugs! You are not forgotten. Re voting, yes, it 'can' make a difference. My ballot is already mailed in.

Secrecy, being an instrument of conspiracy, ought never to be the system of a regular government. Jeremy Bentham

Many of the benefits from keeping terrorism fear levels high are obvious. Private corporations suck up massive amounts of Homeland Security cash as long as that fear persists, while government officials in the National Security and Surveillance State can claim unlimited powers and operate with unlimited secrecy and no accountability.
Glenn Greenwald

The very word 'secrecy' is repugnant in a free and open society; and we are as a people inherently and historically opposed to secret societies, to secret oaths, and to secret proceedings.
John F. Kennedy

From secrecy and deception in high places, come home, America. From military spending so wasteful that it weakens our nation, come home, America.
George McGovern

The best weapon of a dictatorship is secrecy, but the best weapon of a democracy should be the weapon of openness.
Niels Bohr

I am absolutely opposed to a national ID card. This is a total contradiction of what a free society is all about. The purpose of government is to protect the secrecy and the privacy of all individuals, not the secrecy of government. We don't need a national ID card.
Ron Paul

Candidate Obama was either exceptionally naive or willfully disingenuous when he vowed to change the way Washington works. The very promise of Hope and Change was rooted in uprooting the Washington modus operandi. But instead of rejecting it, he embraced it all - the secrecy, the closed doors, the political favors, the near-criminal negligence.
Reince Priebus

Politicians often claim secrecy is necessary for good governance or national security.
Heather Brooke

Secrecy is the freedom tyrants dream of.
Bill Moyers

Leaks are not the problem; they are the symptom. They reveal a disconnect between what people want and need to know and what they actually do know. The greater the secrecy, the more likely a leak.
Heather Brooke

If governments did not mislead their citizens so often, there would be less need for secrecy, and if leaders knew they could not rely on keeping the public in the dark about what they are doing, they would have a powerful incentive to behave better.
Peter Singer

Direct Democracy

"There are those who are asking the devotees of civil rights, When will you be satisfied?...We cannot be satisfied as long as a Negro in Mississippi cannot vote and a Negro in New York believes he has nothing for which to vote. No, no, we are not satisfied, and we will not be satisfied until justice rolls down like waters, and righteousness like a mighty stream."
Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
"I have a Dream" address
August 28, 1963

Today the electorate of the US finds itself in the position of the "Negro in New York" who has nothing for which to vote--only the "lesser of two evils" to vote against.

I enjoyed reading your article, "I Can't vote..." It's good to be reminded of our history of struggle to get this far. Wakes a person up to what's really going on in our situation. I agree with you about voting being a privilege. And, even if it appears that it doesn't matter due to corruption in elections, like rigged machines, and other frauds, I still think there's a chance to salvage this one last thing that the citizenry have and it would be foolish to just let it go. And even if nothing else, it should or could be a rallying point for all people, who still have the privilege to vote, to stand up together against tyranny.

I am so sad that you've had so much suffering. You are very brave, and I thank you for what you did. I pray that you'll be free soon. I look forward to other articles from you. .

Thank you, Chelsea, for your courage. You are admired, and lovingly and warmly supported, in spirit and truth.

Thank you for your thoughtful commentary and exhortation.

Thanks to our fellow readers for these insightful comments.

Best wishes to you.

I can't vote in the USA. Nor can the ROTW.

No annihilation without representation!