Home | About | Donate

'I Didn't Feel Like Fabricating the Truth': ICE Spokesperson Quits Over Agency Falsehoods

'I Didn't Feel Like Fabricating the Truth': ICE Spokesperson Quits Over Agency Falsehoods

Jessica Corbett, staff writer

A spokesman for the San Francisco division of U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) has resigned over what he says were falsehoods by public officials, including Attorney General Jeff Sessions, about recent raids by federal agents in California, and being pressured by agency leadership to repeat those misleading statements.

"I quit because I didn't want to perpetuate misleading facts."
—James Schwab, former ICE spokesman

From the article:

“Our democracy depends on public servants who act with integrity and hold transparency in the highest regard.”

That could have been from an early draft of the Preamble. Shout it from the house tops, and shame all those who fall short.

Our system of installing political appointees at the head of bureaucratic agencies has proven to be a weak link in the governance of the country. Well meaning public servants, which I will argue based upon exposure and experience to be the great majority, suffer under petty tyrants appointed to render their efforts ineffective. If the Republicans so hate government it is (past) time for the people to shove them the fuck out of it. I’m not a Democrat, but I’m damn sure not a Republican.

Well said. I believe this trend began with Grandpa Caligula Reagan’s appointments of James Watt to Interior and Anne Gorsuch Burford to EPA. It’s the natural outgrowth of the phenomenon known as regulatory capture.

This is a clear example of the clash between democracy and fascism. It is critical for local officials like Schwab not to go along with the lying that characterizes fascism. People like Schwab need to keep resisting until the Republicans be unseated from their present position of control. The takeover of the Republican Party by the extreme right seems almost complete and just about everyone was caught by surprise by the extent of the white nationalist movement that has developed in the US and was able to elect Trump in the Republican primary even though some significant establishment Republicans like Jeb Bush and John Kasich were running. In the past far right candidates have not been able to overcome the type of financial support that Jeb Bush had but the white nationalists were able to elect Trump even though he had no government experience, was not considered to be a serious candidate, and acted more like a middle school kid than like a presidential candidate in the debates.

With most everyone in this administration priding themselves on their ability to deny, and outright lie with impunity about any concern related to their public service, and encouraging those around them to do the same, it is hopeful seeing this “one” man refuse to drink the Kool-aid.

The whole of the republican party are liars and cheats. If the dems don’t start screaming that from the roof tops as our democracy depends on it.

They have been the loudest voice in the country since the 90’s and keeps being so. Why? lamestreet media covers them 24/7 even though it is negative they have trained their followers to be liars and cheats. Winning is everything no matter how you do it.
There are a lot of good things progressive dems are doing, talking about but never covered.
Sicked and tired of only violent television and news, nothing positive that is going on behind the scenes.

The very moment you think in terms of Republican or Democrat, instead of the real dynamic of haves and have nots, is the very moment they own you.

It’s not about parties Lrx. It never has been.

It is about the parties. If you don’t understand that then you don’t understand politics. The main clash is now is not between the haves and the have nots but between people who think this should be mainly a country for white Christians and those who think all types of people should be welcome and be able to be first class citizens. A similar clash is going on in European countries. There are many very wealthy people on our side of this conflict. The haves on the other side are people like Robert Mercer and Trump and also the Koch brothers are backing that side. The Republican Party has been taken over by Mercer and Trump’s side. The Democrats remain committed to democracy and inclusion of everyone. I would say around the 1940 and 1950s there wasn’t that much difference between the parties. Both had liberals and conservatives. Now the parties are vastly different.

Yes. The political spectrum isn’t right/left—much less R/D—but up and down.

Yes, integrity does not seem to be a desired quality for working at ICE.

I think it is a clash between the haves and the have-nots but the haves are using the white Christians as a tool for their agenda. It works so well. Divide and separate all americans to the point they have no power at all even though they might have common purposes if they looked.

Reagan began the great downhill slide for the nation of the US which was supposed to be of and for the people. He was a deceiver of grand order who should have been impeached. Instead the wing-nuts named an airport after him. He is their true God.

Have you seen the Political Compass? Someone in Common Dreams comments posted it here years ago, and I find it explains so much.

He should have just come out and said, they wanted me to lie and I refused. Not that most americans would care. But it would be straight to the point. And it shows just what Trump is willing to do, lie about everything.

He effectively did come out and say that.

It is encouraging to see at least one good man with ICE, but now he’s gone.

More proof that government’s modus operandi is deception and lies, no matter the topic.

Instead of resigning (because goodness knows we need honest people like this in such agencies) there is the option of performing the equivalent of a sit down strike or otherwise throwing a monkey wrench in the works- in other words obstruct rump’s agenda.

Yes, in some circumstances the option you illuminate is righteous. And in others, it feeds the lies.

When the mission of the agency for which you labor is to defend lies, there is no honest way to engage from within.

People do not own the Earth. The Earth owns us. Thus, the premise on which immigration law—and thus ICE—rests is a lie.

We are all Earth’s children. Who is a human being—or a human government—to say where any of Earth’s children may reside, work, travel?

Thus, the foundation of modern immigration law—and of ICE—is fundamentally flawed. Out of integrity from the get-go. Based on, and existing only to defend, a horrible, hurtful lie.

There is no way to work with integrity when the organization for which you labor is founded on lies.

So he leaked secret classified info. He should be in prison