Home | About | Donate

"I Didn't Serve, I Was Used": How Veterans Are Losing the War at Home

Re “pushing of painkiller drugs from the opium family”, tptb have to create a market for all that opium they’re growing in Afghanistan.

For some that I know they couldn’t find a job, even with a college degree with excellent grades. It was a last resort.

Thank you. Great post. I remember the ditty, congrats on the memory and creativity. I am moved by the story of your brother’s death from Agent Orange, and your friends who lost their lives. I remember the day they took my hair at Ft. Leonard Wood as if it were yesterday. That time in my life is indelibly imprinted.

Nest year is the 100th anniversay of the greatest of anti war poems, Wilfred Owen’s DULCE ET DECORUM EST

Bent double, like old beggars under sacks,
Knock-kneed, coughing like hags, we cursed through sludge,
Till on the haunting flares(2) we turned our backs
And towards our distant rest(3) began to trudge.
Men marched asleep. Many had lost their boots
But limped on, blood-shod. All went lame; all blind;
Drunk with fatigue; deaf even to the hoots(4)
Of tired, outstripped(5) Five-Nines(6) that dropped behind.
Gas!(7) Gas! Quick, boys! – An ecstasy of fumbling,
Fitting the clumsy helmets(8) just in time;
But someone still was yelling out and stumbling,
And flound’ring like a man in fire or lime(9) . . .
Dim, through the misty panes(10) and thick green light,
As under a green sea, I saw him drowning.
In all my dreams, before my helpless sight,
He plunges at me, guttering,(11) choking, drowning.
If in some smothering dreams you too could pace
Behind the wagon that we flung him in,
And watch the white eyes writhing in his face,
His hanging face, like a devil’s sick of sin;
If you could hear, at every jolt, the blood
Come gargling from the froth-corrupted lungs,
Obscene as cancer, bitter as the cud(12)
Of vile, incurable sores on innocent tongues,
My friend, you would not tell with such high zest(13)
To children ardent(14) for some desperate glory,
The old Lie; Dulce et Decorum est
Pro patria mori.

The way the veterans have been treated since Reagan took office has been disgraceful. Reagan cut funding to mental health facilities and the vets suffering PTSD were thrown out on the streets to fend for themselves or tossed in prison. Then along comes Bu$h Jr who used his rich daddy and his rich friends to get him out of going to Vietnam and put him ahead of others already in the waiting line for the Texas Air Guard. Heck he couldn’t even handle that and went A.W.O.L. to campaign for the repuke party. Dick Cheney got five deferments from the military and never did serve, yet he and Dubya the coward started their war for profit and oil in Iraq and sent other people’s children to die for their corporate buddies. Of course none of the neocons who belonged to P.N.A.C. or the representatives or senators who voted for the war had any trouble sending other people’s children to Iraq and Afghanistan to die either even though none of them or their children (with the exception of John McCain who destroyed a bunch of planes and bailed out over Vietnam) had served or were serving. They got to stay home in their cushy mansions instead and attend their favorite Ivy League. school. Remember their constant “Support the Troops” crap? they didn’t. They gave all that money packed on pallets to Dick Cheney and Halliburton in exchange for leaking sewage facilities that leaked feces on the walls of the troops quarters and electrocuted several troops from faulty wiring. Then the troops come home to find their homes foreclosed on, no healthcare, no nothing as far as support…just the streets and/or prison.

Every last one of the neocons along with Bu$h and Cheney deserve the deepest, darkest cell in the worst prison in the country for the rest of their sorry lives. Let them live in solitary for the rest of their time and while they are at it give Bomber the same for his drone program of blowing wedding parties and funerals to smithereens. What a sorry collection of beings that call themselves human!!! Is this the best we can do out of 320,000,000 people for our leaders? Apparently so. Exceptional nation indeed.

I sound like a stuck old record but here goes another nail in the pine box. That our government would not go over and beyond to take care of veterans’ health needs, especially due to combat related injuries, lost limbs, damaged brains, and emotional distress due to unspeakable war related stress is unspeakable. A result is the angry former soldier in Dallas. Untreated, forgotten, ignored–until he exploded like a bomb. But of course, as the lovely Madeline Albreight and Ms Clinton would agree, the price is worth it. Ok. Dead soldiers. Dead civilians in foreign countries. Radiated lands. Generations of genetic damage to our people and theirs. But what have we gained? As a country, not a damned thing. For that weapons industry, billions in profit. So we basically are trading in our young men and women and their lives and limbs and souls to line the pockets of the very people who are destroying our country. Very well worth it. And indeed, worth every little penny. If this doesn’t highlight the arrogance and disdain for everyday people by the bruja trying for the brass ring, I don’t know what does. (I don’t get McCain wanting to trash the VA, being a veteran himself; I guess it’s his privledged background?)