Home | About | Donate

'I Don't Know Why Everybody Going Along With This': White House Press Speak Out

'I Don't Know Why Everybody Going Along With This': White House Press Speak Out

Common Dreams staff

Journalist Jim Acosta, the senior White House correspondent for CNN, was among those expressing alarm and frustration on Monday after the White House held a press briefing that barred the use of both audio and video recordings.

Totally agree with Jim Acosta. But in the meantime, let's use Gregg shorthand and take written notes of the complete questions and answers. Transcribe and share with readers. Hope we have not forgotten how to do this!!

I think this gives what's left of the legitimate press license to unapologetically print hearsay.

After all, they'll be accused in late night tweets and incoherent speeches of releasing fake news anyway.

And if the White House won't publicly answer questions, than they're inviting speculation and spin, right?

The American media are not accustomed to autocratic regimes. They should ask their colleagues in Latin America about it, because this is how it starts.

"The very word Secrecy is REPUGNANT in a Free and Open Society" - JFK 4/61

There was a time when one could actually refer to the President of the United States as the 'Leader of the Free World' without struggling to keep a straight face.

White House reporters get the truth from the leakers. Why go to the stupid daily briefing with Spicer? It is a waste of time.

The press should take the money spent on these reporters at the WH and put it into investigative reporting.

The real problem is that the press secretary is just a spin master. The WH briefing is a total waste of time.

If the people at CNN actually listened to what Trump was saying during the campaign when they gave him so much air time they shouldn't be surprised. And he has declared the press the enemy of the people. So for a fascist like Trump and his supporters what he is doing is actually acting on behalf of the people. He is protecting the people from the press by trying to cripple how the press does its job. Of course the press should strongly criticize what Trump is doing. It has no place in a democracy.

Hello Trumpbot, how's it going?

Oh yes, you will tell us all how you really don't like Trump. I would say in response, "oh poppycock".

One doesn't have to be an apologist for corporate MSM to recognize this Administration's extreme right wing trajectory.

It is clucking dangerous okay? Can you comprehend this?

Surely if Obama did this you of course would be offering no direct criticism of such action by Obama right?

You would of course be distracting from such criticism!

Did I just apologize for Obama? Check my comment history, you won't find a single instance.

They have been invested in both-sides-do-it-ism though. I think that, and the growth in right wing media, is perhaps the biggest driver for what we are witnessing. Its turned older white people mean. I hope I'm wrong, but I expect Ossoff to lose tomorrow for the this reason. Tribalism and racial identity politics are dominant for these voters. A few commercials about the "radical leftist" that's targeting Republicans, plus lunatic ravings on the radio, is enough to make the difference I fear.

I hope I'm wrong.

A house owned by The PEOPLE, built by The PEOPLE, and maintained by The PEOPLE, can also be torn down and sold for scrap by The PEOPLE if/when that becomes necessary.

The person we need is Sam Donaldson. I remember him shouting questions to Reagan as he stood near his helicopter and acting as though he couldn't hear the shouted question because of the noise of the rotor.

Like Syria?

"I don't know why everybody is going along with this," Acosta said on air after the closed briefing with Sean Spicer, with Trump's press secretary. "It just doesn't make any sense to me. It just feels like we're sort of slowly but surely being dragged into a new normal in this country where the president of the United States is allowed to insulate himself from answering hard questions." WOW.... your just realizing this Mr. Acosta ? trump hasnt been asked a serious question sinjce he threw his hat in the ring, he was and has been allowed to malign others with out question, he dailly spouts nonsense and non stop B.S. about anything and everything, he makes up facts as easy as he breathes, and he dosent get called on any of it ever......his list of lies ..not facts missunderstood but out and out lies is endless and it has been obvious from day one that he was full of shit but the media gave him hundreds of hours of free air time to spew his verbal diareha knowing it was bullshit but good for ratings and $$$$'s so instead of calling his B.S. at the start like they should of they now lament the fact that they have no clout, the media helped in large part to create / elect this moron running amok, so....every one is going along with this because thats the script...you all waited way to long to protest his antics in any meaningfull hard hitting way and now its to late, you have been trumped......

Welcome to fascism, folks!

I expect him to lose as well. His opponent, though, is a pretty bad candidate.

Or in the US!

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.--That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, --That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness. ..."

The Repubs' secrecy and not allowing any debate on the bill they are crafting (that will cripple Medicaid) was also a step as is this. Step by step we go down a dangerous road. How can you have democracy and representative government if the public is not allowed to know what is being done nor have any input or any say about it? That was typically cynical politics by Repubs but this bizarre rule on press briefings is beyond the pale and goes further still after that! It redefines the Press as something other than the Press! What do you call them now? Our almost but not quite version of the Press?

This is not freedom of the Press! Is it fascism? Maybe we should use a new term for what is going on at least as yet. One thing for sure is that these type of things are direct steps leading to fascism. Democracy is being shut out, circumnavigated, avoided and denied! Those are steps all freedom loving people wish we weren't taking!

This all Republican/Trump government is doing its best to diminish democracy. It wants to govern without the public being involved - it is anti-democracy. Sinclair Lewis' wrote a book called "It Can't Happen Here". That title has become a famous line warning about the rise of fascism. Evidently we all should feel threatened by this anti-democracy government in Washington.

To paraphrase Sinclair Lewis -

"Something is happening here!"

I totally agree that this gives the press license to say wtf they want to.
"He said that she said that they said that we all said that....."
Sometimes the best way to make light of a problem is to let it be a problem, let the slack lay where it is, and do not try to make up for it. Let things take their course.
This really needs to be reported for exactly what it is- a censor on the press.
Here on out, there are no news on the White House that can be trusted for accuracy unless perhaps documents get leaked. Since news on the white house can't be trusted to be accurate, it may as well be damning. Alternative facts make good muck to sling. In this way, journalists can fight for their right to be journalists.

The more gold crap the tiny-fisted prictator installs in OUR house the sooner that time will arrive.