Home | About | Donate

'I Just Couldn't Be a Sellout': Rihanna Confirms She Turned Down Super Bowl Halftime Show In Solidarity With Kaepernick

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2019/10/09/i-just-couldnt-be-sellout-rihanna-confirms-she-turned-down-super-bowl-halftime-show

2 Likes

I must respect Rihanna for her integrity. More people, especially those with a following or public exposure in whatever arena, should show solidarity with the life-changing integrity and commitment to Civil Rights Colin Kaepernick so clearly displayed! His great quality was there and still is, for all the world with eyes to see. Bravo!

The NFL is morally bankrupt, having black-listed Kaepernick and deprived him of career and respect to follow money instead!
Boycott the NFL!

1 Like

Hi Emphyrio:

YES! I agree with you. Mr Kaepernick is right too, ad I don’t even like football. I believe that the First Amendment gives him the right to take a knee or to not salute the flag.
Thank you Rihanna for showing people everywhere, how easily that any person can become more of a human, just by being more of a human. Football is a job, and football discriminates against its players by ignoring the First Amendment

2 Likes

Rihanna is showing her humanity. Many others cannot, for selfish or strictly monetary reasons.

2 Likes

Thank you Gloriana. Yes, the actions of Kaepernick to begin the protest, and people like Rihanna to support his principled stand are both important. To sellout for money shows a corruption of the mind forced on people and society that demands commitment to money to survive, not integrity or moral compass - in today’s world that glorifies money, one either produces or perishes…

3 Likes

I must admit to not being much of a fan of Rihanna’s music (my girlfriend is though), but my esteem for her (which was quite low beforehand) has risen substantially to the point I will no longer cringe inside when my better half turns her tunes on.

1 Like

May I double your Bravo! That’s exactly the one word response I came into this comments section to post.

Also, kudos to Julia Conley for writing this article.

2 Likes

I applaud Rihanna for taking a stand for what she believes in. As a political cartoon I have saved says:

Crowd: Get up Kaepernick!! Men Died for your right to stand!!
Soldiers: Actually we died for his right to sit or stand…

1 Like

In my mind this was settled on the first day Colin took a knee. Any patriot that sees it different is not a true patriot. Patriotism isn’t something you force upon people.

My friend, I am 100% certain that will never happen because: 1. Just too many rabid NFL fans ( short for fanatical fans ) in America; 2. Too much corporate advertising $$$$$$$$$; And too much military influence.

1 Like

Thanks, saved me a similar post.