Home | About | Donate

I Knew the War in Afghanistan Was a Lie

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/views/2019/12/10/i-knew-war-afghanistan-was-lie

2 Likes

The first fail was a country that does not have a functional Democracy trying to impose Democracy on another Country.

14 Likes

The US was never “trying to impose democracy on another country” including Afghanistan. The US creates platforms for eternal occupation and war in these nations to guarantee an eternal revenue stream for the military industrial media infotainment complex (MIMIC) funded by the best Congress money can buy.

14 Likes

True of Vietnam too, the “Bright Shining Lie”

6 Likes

Knowing that the American MIC is all about the benjamins, I’m already against the next war.

7 Likes

"All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream at night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

T.E. Lawrence (Lawrence of Arabia: the real one, not Peter O’Toole)

1 Like

Since when are we “spreading democracy”? We have NEVER “spread democracy.” We spread corporate profits. Got aways to go on the deprogramming project –

5 Likes

It was pretty obviously a losing because before we even went in. Just another Vietnam with our people and resources flushed down the toilet.

2 Likes

The idea of the world’s biggest military machine murdering this poor, hungry,war weary and defenseless country was a cruel atrocity from the beginning. No Afghan was anywhere near those towers on 9/11, and in any case bombing the entire population of Afghanistan is syill a monstrous war crime.

1 Like

On top of “their” destroyed countries and mutilated by us (US) people. People who have mothers, fathers, sons, daughters and families. We (the USA) are the monsters of the world, the virus in the lab and the sickness for which, at least so far, there is no vaccination!

See my other comment that fits yours equally.

And let the war crime trials begin before the Bush’s, Cheney’s and other like slime die of old age.

1 Like

I assume the case most thought to perhaps fit this category is Japan post WWII. I skimmed https://www.facinghistory.org/nanjing-atrocities/nation-building/taisho-democracy-japan-1912-1926 and I see there were liberalizing efforts before the war but I don’t get the impression they had much of a democracy during the war (nor did Germany). I don’t believe a single military action post WWII has been justified nor improved the state of the world in any way save for (as comments have said) on the benefits to certain US business interests.

It’s what I call the “executive sell.” I came up with that term in the 1990’s when we had bosses above us in the org chart who wanted something to show. So, we would dummy up something to show where we were and the idiots would present it to the board and they would promote it elsewhere. They were selling non-working “solutions” (a term sales people use that I pretty much despise). They got pats on the back for “their” work.
Same thing for a boss I had in the 1980’s. He would read books on management and every so often we would be doing another management technique. Except it was all really the same old boss and the same old abuse.
It was in the Air Force (68-72) as a non-com that I decided that most of the top chain of command was incompetent and that if you wanted to figure out who was incompetent and should not have their job, just look toward the top end of the org chart. There were always exceptions with whom we had good working relations but the rest were in those positions because they had the rank and were given in-charge jobs.

“Nineteen years into America’s longest war, Afghanistan is in a worse state than at any time since the U.S. military invasion.”
This is all true — except for the “longest war” part. I am weary of reminding people that our longest (and regularly undeclared" war was the genocidal campaign against the indigenous peoples of North America.

1 Like

Recall that under the leadership of the American law professor Francis Boyle, Bush & Co were very much convicted in absentia in Malaysia in 2014 for war crimes, in accordance with international procedures.

Thank you Danny Sjursen for such a fine article.

Yes, wars brought under fraud are war crimes, and the media and other players in the fraud of 911 have much blood on their hands.

Yesterday, I emailed a picture of a short, pothole-filled road to the DPW of my hometown, the capital city of the state. This high-use, 1/10th of a mile road has been a poor condition since about the year the Afghan War started. I’m guessing that one hour’s worth of the money the DOD will spend today to bring democracy to Afghanistan would be more than enough to repair this road.

The big question is how can we stop the MIMIC juggernaut from spending our tax dollars on an aimless war while needs in the US are unmet and the deficit grows?

1 Like

Convicted but never having to pay a price. Now that is justice. That is justice for the .01%, American style.