Home | About | Donate

I Know What A Domestic Abuser Looks Like, and it Doesn’t Look Like, ‘We Hope He Has a Wonderful Career.’

I Know What A Domestic Abuser Looks Like, and it Doesn’t Look Like, ‘We Hope He Has a Wonderful Career.’

Leonard Pitts Jr.

I am a child of domestic violence.

As a boy, I couldn’t fall asleep until I heard my father return from his nocturnal ramblings. I’d listen hard, trying to gauge his mood from the tone of his voice, trying to determine if it was safe to close my eyes. Some nights, it was.

Other nights, it was not. On those nights, I came hurtling from my bed to thrust myself between my parents, trying to push him off of her.

So forgive me if I take the latest White House scandal personally. I don’t know any other way to take it.

Leonard,

I can say “me too” to this story. I know that dread in the middle of the night, and trying to get between your dad and mom, with heart beating fast. It marks the whole family, and is /was too often wrapped up in silence and secrets, to the world. May it too, come out and face the sunlight. Thank you for writing this.

I can relate, although I was too young to physically get between my parents. I would hear my dad verbally abusing my mom, make a sound so my dad knew I was awake and could hear him. Sometimes he would stop, sometimes not. When he did not stop, he would come back to my room and jerk me out of bed and beat my ass. He did not hit my mom. That is what I was there for. He was usually drunk when these incidents happened. I have battled those demons for a long time. So yeah, I take the WH shit seriously. Can there be another way?

Thank you, Mr. Pitts for your painful personal story, as well as the deservedly scathing comments about Mr. Porter and the cesspool that he was working in!

I wish there was another choice besides “like”. I press the heart button because I hold you all in my heart. I do not “like” what your journey has been.

What is so astonishing is that for more than a year, both Rob Porter and David Sorensen were strong influences on Trump and others in government – yet they actually had no right to be in those positions.

How many more like them are in government, as the right wing continues to scrape the bottom of the barrel?

Most likely most Americans have some experience with dysfunctional family life. MeToo!
Among the most serious is domestic violence which often involves wives and children being beaten.
INCEST – sexual abuse of a child by an adult male – is one of our most common crimes.
When we consider these disturbances within households, we understand how they negatively effect
children during their growing up years. They are also further complicated by continuing manipulation of our economies by banks and financial institutions to create recessions and depressions for the benefit of our Elites/wealthy. Unemployment – and long term unemployment – no longer supported by Unemployment benefits past two years. I’d also add here health issues where US has no system of national health care while we are led to believe this is something the nation can’t afford. Presumably all of the nations with National Health Care are “Nanny States” … something to be sneered at for their stupidity.

With a growing number of families with Autistic children more and more coming into view, this is an increasingly serious subject – as though it wasn’t already a subject on fire.

It occurs to me that not only has Ivana accused Trump of domestic violence, beating her and raping her…
but that citizens of the US today are suffering a kind of domestic violence from our leaders who are every day abusing the population. We need to begin to act in self-defense … in non-violent ways.