Home | About | Donate

I’m a Nuclear Weapons Expert. Trump’s Presidency Is My Personal Nightmare

I’m a Nuclear Weapons Expert. Trump’s Presidency Is My Personal Nightmare

Jeffrey Lewis

My greatest fear is a reality: A lunatic has gained control of nuclear-armed missiles that could reach halfway around the globe. And, to make matters worse, Kim Jong Un has them, too.

I’m not a nuclear weapons expert, but I am someone who’s studied probability theory. There’s a theorem that says, in effect, if you play Russian Roulette long enough you’ll blow your brains out.

The article suggests that possessing nuclear weapons may have prevented WWIII. But it’s also the case that the US stands nearly alone in failing to ratify a whole range of treaties* that would make the world a safer place – very possibly under the delusion that nukes keep us safe.

We desperately need leaders in Washington who can move beyond these caveman instincts. Leaders who can see that we humans need to move beyond war and replace it with just, planetary laws. As it is, homo sapiens (sic) is headed the way of the dinosaur.

*The Law of the Sea Treaty, the Convention on the Rights of the Child, the Ottawa accord that bans the development and use of landmines, the Comprehensive Nuclear Test Ban Treaty, the Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Discrimination Against Women, and the International Covenant on Economic, Social and Cultural Rights.
The US failed to sign onto the Kyoto Climate Protocol and has recently we abandoned the Paris Climate Accord. The US is not a participant in the Interational Criminal Court, and the US withdrew from the International Court of Justice, which settles disputes between nations.

America is about to spend a trillion on new nukes. Does anybody know if nukes can be hacked and turned against US?

Power plants have already been hacked and power cut off. If that happens to nuke power plants or nuke weapons, we could be more totally screwed than with any other pending disaster.

I agree with you. Also, being a money driven country it must be remembered that nukes are VERY BIG business. The U.S. has spent TRILLIONS on nukes in the previous decades and Obama OKed the spending of a trillion more just to “upgrade” the stockpile of the thousands that we already have.
As investigative journalists have pointed out we have come very close to nuclear war on several occasions and the legacy of nuclear contamination and accidents is something that has not been successfully handled.

‘I’m a Nuclear Weapons Expert. Trump’s Presidency Is My Personal Nightmare1
Jeffrey Lewis
’My greatest fear is a reality: A lunatic has gained control of nuclear-armed missiles that could reach halfway around the globe. And, to make matters worse, Kim Jong Un has them, too.’

Why wouldn’t any prudent administration acquire Nukes? If your country has resources then it must have nukes if it wants to remain free. Nobody in their right minds would trust, or even expect the US to protect them or not be the invader/plunderer.

We need at least eight or ten countries to be armed with nukes with a general agreement that if one is attacked, then all of them join in nuking that country, that way it is unlikely that anybody would begin throwing nukes about and ‘unlikely’ is probably the best we can expect.

There are 2 problems with history: either we fail to learn, or we learn the wrong lessons. Most people fall into the latter camp, especially when it gets filtered though the anti Kennedy propaganda. JFK abhorred war, and felt that the supreme duty of all leaders was to avoid war. Let us never negotiate out of fear, but let us never fear to negotiate. Throughout his entire presidency, he fought to curtail his own military whose collective anti communism was pathological. Slogans and ideology instead of using our powers of reason e.g. Better dead than red. Really? Can a political system be so oppressive that you would prefer death? What fool could ever believe that?
Surrounded by war hawks, he knew he risked a coup when he successfully defused the Cuban Missile Crisis: “Tonite would be. Good night to go the theater” in reference to the assassination of Lincoln. He hinted as much to Khrushchev and appealed to his fellow Human Being for his help.
So nuclear weapons never kept the peace. Only strong leaders restraining the military did that. Trump is no match for his generals. When generals run the government, we call that a junta.

I am a Nuclear weapons survivor (Operation Redwing, Marshall Islands, 1956) and have been working for peace and an end to anything nuclear for much of my adult life.
*I’ve seen and felt multi-megaton H-Bombs. I’ve gone through the horror of radiation exposure, thinking and fearing I was going to die at the age of eighteen.
*I wouldn’t trust the orange turd to run a garbage dump let alone give him the keys to world destruction. About the only key he should have is the one to the restroom in the Oval Orifice, so I’m with you.

I Have Seen the Dragon

I have seen the Dragon
Through clenched lids and arms pressed tight.
I have felt its hot breath on my back
And listened to the rumble of its voice.

I have looked upon its breath,
Glowing Amethyst, red and purple,
Climbing towards the stratosphere
To deposit its venom downwind.

I have waited in fear as my gums began to bleed
And my hair came out in clumps.
I breathed a prayer of thanks
As I began to heal.

After fifty years, our ranks are thin,
We who have seen the Dragon and survived.
Those who have died or are sickened still,
Their numbers are legion.

All we can hope for, work for, pray for,
Is that no madman will ever be allowed
To unleash the Dragon again.
For its legacy to all is death, disease and decay.

Stephen M. Osborn
2 November 2006
;-})

For in the final analysis, we all share the same small planet. We breathe the same air. We cherish our children’s future. And we are all mortal.

I most highly recommend Oliver Stone’s Untold History of the United States, available to stream on Netflix.
He follows four threads very closely - US imperialism, our relationship with Russia, The Bomb, and the missed opportunities to have had a different history.
The episodes covering WWI and the inter-war years are listed as episodes 11 and 12, but should be watched first.

Both of the leaders in the above pictures, are my personal nightmare!

Maybe because he’s paying attention.

I’m still worried that this is going to be the MIIC answer to global warming.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S136468261100006X

Yeah, like the Chinese hoax is not a hoax.

That’s why I’m a leftist.