Home | About | Donate

'I Took the Helmet Off and Laid the Batons Down': Michigan Sheriff Tells Demonstrators His Officers Are at Their Service

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2020/05/31/i-took-helmet-and-laid-batons-down-michigan-sheriff-tells-demonstrators-his-officers

14 Likes

Same in Santa Cruz, Cali! Sheriff kneels with protestors!

32 Likes

Chris Hedges has said that revolutions succeed when the police decide to stand down.

Peace
Po

36 Likes

A much-needed, new perspective of the phrase “law-and-order”.

27 Likes

Great! May we see more of this type of solidarity.

24 Likes

Now that’s progressive. This could be “yuge” if only MSM reported it.

25 Likes

Thanks from Kalamazoo.

11 Likes

Yes, for far too long law and order has meant THEIR LAW AND THEIR ORDER THE 1%…NOT OUR LAW AND OUR ORDER… THE 99%! Occupy, if nothing else proved that along with the police brutality across this nation.

5 Likes

Just asking: will sheriff Chris Swanson be reprimanded, demoted or even be fired for his courageous stand with the protesters?

6 Likes

Thank you, Sheriff Swanson for setting an example of real leadership.

22 Likes

Thus proving once again that: “To jar jar is better than to war war” Winston Churchill post WWll.

4 Likes

And also from my perspective, in order for the revolution to succeed, the military needs to keep their sacred oath to protect America from all enemies both foreign and DOMESTIC!

14 Likes

Now that’s what i call godlike, courageous, righteous, honorable and a true act of humanity at the right time and right place. Tears fell on my cheeks when i saw the headline "I took the helmet off…
Incidentally that is what i had suggested after i watched the video of the lynching and hoped all uniformed police around the nation would turn in their badges in protest. Let the wealthy thieves pay for their centuries of swindle and fraudulent acts taking advantage of the unwary taxpayers and “consumers” trust.

13 Likes

Virtually every sheriff’s office in the whole country is ground zero – abolish it to get beyond the slave-patrol mentality tearing the country apart. I am bitterly underwhelmed unless sheriffs join the national movement, building strength today as never before, to abolish all sheriffs. Most of the sheriffs here in the Bay Area are devotees of His Pestilency, subjecting captives held for trivial matters to mortal danger in cramped confinement. Sheriffs are supposed to be accountable to voters, but parasites like Contra Costa County’s David Livingston squat implacably on their posts like Jabba the Hut for decades, continuing to prey on our people. The way it’s set up, even the County Supervisors can’t do anything about creeps like him. Time to find some other way to set things up.

5 Likes

Leadership brings PEACE!

11 Likes

That is the best news i’ve ever heard in the history of protestations against the filthy wealthy 1% fascist MAFIA gangsters. When we subdue the swindlers we will have also rescued our planet from certain path of assured destruction due to pure uninhibited greed.

8 Likes

… and will the public respond … “Join US” ???

2 Likes

All too true. People forget that in the Russian revolution, had the army sided with the Oligarchy and the Romanovs, the Bolsheviks would have been slaughtered like mangy dogs.
But this is America, and in America we still worship the rich. And the rich own the cops.
And the military too.

5 Likes

Can you send a link so I can share this. We need to see more of this type response.

2 Likes

I am a grown man, and I need to uhmmm

(snifff)

Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaawwwwwwwwwwwwlllll.

8 Likes