Home | About | Donate

'I Was Doing My Job': Climate Reporter Facing 45 Years Speaks Out

'I Was Doing My Job': Climate Reporter Facing 45 Years Speaks Out

Deirdre Fulton, staff writer

The filmmaker facing a lengthy prison sentence for documenting a nonviolent civil disobedience action last week has spoken out on behalf of journalism, the First Amendment, and the global climate movement.

One thing I have learned from Amy and Deia is: The climate terrorists are definitely climate terrorists!

Her last name isn't Clinton.

I am horrified that our right to free speech has been so blatantly trashed! What country do we live in? I no longer recognize the United States values I was taught to revere ... If we can't count on media greats like Amy Goodman being free to report what they see, who can we count on to truthfully report on all sides of a story! The corporate message is well supported and financed, but to survive as a "democracy" freedom of speech must also be guaranteed to all of us--especially to legitimate journalists and reporters. To ignore such control over the news and legitimate facts as this incident discloses, we guarantee our demise as a "democracy"!

Hey Hillary! Want to get elected? Speak out against the injustice of this arrest. Speak out against the Dakota Access Pipeline. Speak out against fracking. Speak out against (name your cause here). How effing clueless does a person have to be to do the right thing?! Get fully on board with Bernie's agenda and you would win in a landslide.

The rule of law is a farce in America today. This idea that a reporter can be sent to jail for 45 years for covering a protest is over the top ridiculous, but it is where our morally bankrupt leaders have taken public policy. Democracy and the real constitution are both deceased.

She doesn't need to. She already has been selected.

I came to this country from Austria on a Fulbright scholarship in 1952 and studied Journalism, after returning I worked for USIA in Vienna for four years. Having lived through WWII under Hitler I was ready to embrace the ideals of this country, so I immigrated in 1962. I have had a good run, but what has been happening during the last few years and what is happening here right now is extremely scary to me. Jailing reporters for doing their work must not be happening here in these US! Let's let the authorities know that we are in total shock and disagreement! Let us honor the constitution!

All those in favor of ''Big Brother, 1984 Government''
continue to vote Republican/Democrat.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch . . .

There is a divide in this country. Those who care, care about others and recognize how precious this world is. Then there are others who seemingly only care about money, power and domination of others and of this planet which in their mind apparently only exists to serve that. This can not continue, the stakes are survival itself. What will it take for change and understanding of just how fragile life here really is? Time is short.

In keeping with TPTB attempting to silence and punish those who speak the truth:

Mystery swirls around Assange's status at Ecuadorean Embassy

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/6f997f97c5f140a29f385ea05f1b642c/wikileaks-assanges-internet-link-severed-state-actor

I'm sorry, but I'm tired of hearing about the outside-, no, no-chance "45-year sentences." No one has been indicted on these charges or will be, their own film shows they did not take the actions, and no one, least of all the pipeline companies, wants articulate, vocal women like Goodman and Schlossberg keeping the noise going from behind bars for 45 years.

What I'd like is for both of them to in fact do their jobs: Tell us about what's happened to the people who took part in these actions without the freedom of the press in which to wrap themselves. Were any other Standing Rock Water Protectors charged with participating in Goodman's riot? How many are in fact having to pay fines for trespass? And how many of those who actually did cut the chains and turn off the pipelines are still in jail? How much are their fines? If the reporters are facing subpoenas for their film in bringing action against the others, then they have a press-freedom argument to make.

Good luck with Hillary taking a radical stand against the powers that be. She endorses fracking in other countries so if she took a stand with the indigenous Indian movement, I would be quite surprised.

While this article is almost devoid of particulars like what she is charged with and why and if she made bail what is obvious is that corporate domination of our governmental bodies on state, local. and national levels will only result in more of this unconstitutional excess. The environmental terrorists are the oil companies.

Can this article be corrected? Ms. Schlosberg is NOT "facing a lengthy prison sentence". Her trial is nowhere near even near starting yet. Has she even been arraigned yet? The 45 years represents an extremely unlikely maximum of all charges combined, and it is likely that the charges they will be thrown out before the trial date, or at worst, if she entered the inside a posted fence, reduced to just trespassing.

What is with this general "wishing for the worst" surrounding this (and a couple days ago, Amy Goodman's) case? You all need to cue up that old John Prine song...

One thing that isn't mentioned is that if these dedicated women are sentenced to forty five years then they won't worry about parole since we don't have anywhere near that long if we don't start addressing the promise of a global food shortage TODAY. There really are no real options on slashing the carbon footprint on our atmosphere. It Must be done no matter what heroic sacrifices must be made.

The hand wringers like it that way.

Democracy is loong dead in fascist, imperialist amerika! Sadly every day the military police state that is amerika gets worse! The People Rising will overthrow the oppressors, but, a long hard struggle lies ahead!

The more noise that Ms. Schlosberg makes the better off all of us will be.
The creatures that live under rocks don't like it when the rocks are kicked over and the sun shines in.

We are being sent a message - a message from power and privilege.

Julian Assange, Eric Snowden - now things have been kicked up a big notch.

If the filmaker was willing, could not a Trial by Jury be made to happen?

Where is Greenpeace and the Sierra Club on this?

Their lawywers could test the right of a jury to first judge whether the law broken is just, and if they judge that it is unjust - to throw this case out so far it will join our Chinese astronauts who just went up in orbit.

Magna Carta, as deciphered by Lysander Spooner:

"For more than six hundred years - that is, since Magna Carta, in 1215 - there has been no clearer principle of English or American constitutional law, than that, in criminal cases, it is not only the right and duty of juries to judge what are the facts, what is the law, and what was the moral intent of the accused; but that it is also their right, and their primary and paramount duty, to judge of the JUSTICE of the law, and to hold all laws invalid, that are, in their opinion, unjust or oppressive, and all persons guiltless in violating, or resisting the execution of such laws."

- Lysander Spooner; "An Essay on the Trial by Jury" (1852)