Home | About | Donate

"I Was Like, Whatever...": On Lochte Abroad and Idiocy at Home

"I Was Like, Whatever...": On Lochte Abroad and Idiocy at Home

Bill C. Davis

This is the current American quote that sums up where it's all come to. The degradation of culture, the hip anti-intellectual posture, the hollow reality shows, the prevailing mean smugness and the flat screen mesmerizing of the American tribe has brought us to, "I was like, whatever."

This is the quote of a famous American with oddly colored hair. He claims this was his response to a man pointing a gun at his head and telling him to get on the ground.

This sums up the the true nature of an imperialist culture. American exceptionalism at its best.

His story was mostly true; he just got some details wrong. First, it wasn't a robbery--it was sniper fire. Second, it wasn't Brazil--it was Bosnia; third, he wasn't Ryan Lochte--he was Hillary Clinton.

And fourth, it wasn't the vapid linguistics of American non-culture--it was, in fact carefully crafted scripted pellets of "mis-speech" designed to get her off the hook when she is accused of lying and can point out a tiny grammatical twist that reporters hadn't picked up that confirms she wasn't really lying.

No, Lochte isn't the mini-me of the Republican candidate, unless by "Republican", you mean (quite accurately) Democrat.

The Bosnia line fits the form to a T, but there are many many others: her carefully crated opposition to TPP, her carefully crafted support of a $15 minimum wage; her careful responses to the FBI investigation of her email scandal, etc. etc.

Beautiful take on this issue. But I would have loved at its end, to have seen, not a comparison with just one of the 2 main (very similar) candidates, but a connection to the power system that is responsible for creating: "The degradation of culture, the hip anti-intellectual posture, the hollow reality shows, the prevailing mean smugness and the flat screen mesmerizing of the American tribe..."

"I was like, whatever..."

I know, right?

I read as far as the snidely monarchical mocking of the word "like".

The way people talk changes over time. Get with the program, gramps. We could do with less grammarians.

When my daughter started talking like that, pun intended, and I pointed it out, her response was "oh Mom, I'm just using the current vernacular." Like, so sue me.

The golden boy from the greatest country on earth. Check the stats Bill C. Davis, America's down, down, down on the list of greatest countries these days. As for Lochte, in a armed robbery, a "whatever" response is an easy way to die.

Slang,n. "The grunt of the human hog with an audible memory..." A. Bierce.

The proper use would be 'So, like, sue me'.

"As a water-logged product of a wide vapid portion of American non-culture, our Olympic ambassador to Brazil has given us a kind of mini-me version of our Republican candidate."

Yes, he'd have needed to work behind the scenes to help corrupt ruling class politicians depose a popular elected president to be like the Democratic candidate.

"Dictionary, n. A malevolent literary device for cramping
the growth of a language and making it hard and inelastic. This
dictionary, however, is a most useful work."

-Ambrose Bierce

Very apt and accurate description of the current status of pop awareness. However, to conflate this with someone who actually was chosen over 20 other candidates while omitting any reference to the candidate who 'stole' the primary from the 1 opponent is disingenuous. Anti-intellectualism is one thing but true deception is amuch more insidious.

Mr. Davis is a well-regarded playwright, fool!

"The triumphalist primal roars" are getting to me - what an ugly pose, natural and befitting (with an entirely different meaning)to a Gorilla, but not for any athlete of a civilized nation! Let the actions speak for themselves!

You're the loser; a very thoughtful, well written piece. And some linguistic hiccups ought to be condemned.

Fewer grammarians.

Oh my goodness gracious haroo harrumph.

What I don't understand is why this story matters at all. A guy said he got robbed. I'm not an expert in Brazilian law, but I wager security guards don't have the authority to issue fines. Seems to me like someone pulling a gun on you and demanding payment isn't too far removed from what is typically viewed as a robbery. Hardly the story of the century.

Try "fewer", not "less" grammarians, kid.