Home | About | Donate

'I Was Ready to Sign' Deportation Papers, Says US Citizen After Three Weeks in Horrific Immigrant Detention Center

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2019/07/25/i-was-ready-sign-deportation-papers-says-us-citizen-after-three-weeks-horrific

I’m sorry, there’s only one thing to say to this: This is a completely f**ked-up country we’re living in!

If your official IDs, including those “real ID” drivers licenses we all had to get on pain of not being permitted to use a drivers license to board a plane for a domestic flight, aren’t good enough for the god-damned fascist Border Patrol and ICE guys, then what is. Would they claim our passports are fraudulent too?

Citizenship and legal immigrant (Green Card) status are both sacred things. You get a document saying you have those things, and nobody in government, no cop, no thug border agent, no Immigration Control office should have the right to question it and detain you.

Back in the 1970s I was part of a collective of journalists operating a little radical weekly paper, the Los Angeles Vanguard, in LA, California. We had this high school kid, Miguel Tejada, who was a native born US citizen but of Chicano background. Several times over a six month period, he missed deadlines handing in a cartoon for us (he was a terrific cartoonist!) because he would be picked up off the street by border patrol people and get packed across the border and dropped with nothing in Mexico. He’d have to call his father collect in LA, who would have to drive down and bring him home.

It was all kind of humorous at the time, to us and to him (he liked Tijuana), but times were different too. There wasn’t the ICE brutality. But I can see it happening now to people like Miguel. These days he’d be lucky to be dumped over the border. Far more likely would be getting stuck in a dog cage under the hot sun in some concentration camp in west Texas or Arizona,

This s**t has got to stop!

Dave Lindorff
founding editor of ThisCantBeHappening.net