Home | About | Donate

I Went Dungeness Crabbing in Washington. Here's Why I'm Concerned About Increased Shipping From Trans Mountain Pipeline

I Went Dungeness Crabbing in Washington. Here's Why I'm Concerned About Increased Shipping From Trans Mountain Pipeline

Verner Wilson III

Risking abundant natural resources to fossil fuel shipping is reckless to coastal economies. It is why we should be concerned about the proposed Trans Mountain pipeline shipping expansion.

I quit hunting and fishing after many years, witnessing first hand the precipitous decline in wild and marine life due to the growing ecological damage and resource depletion from the overpopulation of our biosphere.

I hope you will check those crabs for biological and radiological pollutants.

Talk about “threats to marine life”! Go vegan Mr. Me-big-strong-top-o-foodchain guy.

Agreed. You mentioned radiological pollutants–just emphasis here–no one should forget that there is radiation from Fukushima in those Pacific waters.

There is far more a risk from naturally-occurring radon in ht air in your house that you breathe everyday than anything from Fukushima in those crabs.

We have lived in a high level radon house for almost forty years and everyone’s lungs appear to be clear. We quit smoking 35 years ago.

I really want to believe you but actions speak louder than words. What is pushing that large boat at that sea frothing speed?

The Summer I turned 13, I began working as a boatpuller on a troller out of LaPush. It made a nice living, we caught a modest amount of fish, released the out-of-season fish and the small ones to grow some more. When the fish schooled up to make their river run, we did quite well, but didn’t stress the run.
*The last two years, these big boats showed up that were purse seiners. They put out those huge nets, pursed up everything, dumped it out on the decks to die, then picked the market fish out of the pile and dumped the rest over the side. After a few years of this, the runs were almost gone. When we complained, the government said this was the most efficient way to fish and began buying up the licenses of the trollers, buying trollers and breaking them up. Many people lost their livelihood, and the seiners caught fewer fish because the runs were diminished. That was during the early '50’s.
*When I turned seventeen, I joined the Navy and wound up at Bikini for the H-Bomb tests. We sure don’t treat our earthly home with respect or care, do we.
;-})