Home | About | Donate

I Wrote a Book the Fracking Industry Doesn't Want You to Read

I Wrote a Book the Fracking Industry Doesn't Want You to Read

Wenonah Hauter

My new book, Frackopoly: The Battle for the Future of Energy and the Environment will be released this week and I want to tell you why I wrote it.

In the 1990s, I worked on a project to promote renewable energy. Even then, renewables were ready. They were cost-effective and along with energy efficiency technologies, we were poised to make the transition.

But, the fossil fuel industry used its immense power to stop the necessary progress from happening.

This is as true of Big Pharma and Monsanto/Big Agri as it is of Big Energy:

"Over the past century, a handful of powerful interests have conspired to avoid the laws designed to keep them from becoming too politically powerful and dominating a single industry. They captured our regulatory bodies and elected officials and they destroyed the set of policies that had been developed over time to protect people and the environment."

I will get your book, Ms. Hauter. It's a good companion volume to "Dark Money" by Jane Mayer and "The Devil's Chessboard" by David Talbot. Knowing how deep and dense the labyrinth of corruption runs, it's a mixed blessing. On the one hand, truth is the item that ought set us free; but on the other, understanding the depraved indifference to life, laws, and liberty is a curse to wrestle with... until such time as the sociopaths who run so many "too big to fail" operations are out of business, arrested, or put into exile.

In Ontario, Canada, I discovered that the provincial government handed the public records that catalogue the mining & petroleum cartels' activities to the private sector. When I contacted this industry library to access information re fracking activities in Ontario, I was told that it might cost me $200.00 (which I don't have) to get this information. Maybe more, they said.
The website also paraded scary legal limitations upon individuals use of this information and its public sharing.
How do you spell fascism?

Wenonah,
Please make sure that this book is recorded into an Audible version. I listen to books all the time while riding a bicycle...two birds with one stone, to use a brutal metaphor. I would listen to this!