Home | About | Donate

Icelanders Hold Funeral for Okjukull, Country's First Glacier to Die From the Climate Crisis

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2019/08/19/icelanders-hold-funeral-okjukull-countrys-first-glacier-die-climate-crisis

1 Like

Have they considered renaming the country yet? Rockland? Stoneland? Just spitballin’ here – you have to throw out new ideas in the face of climate chaos, right?

2 Likes

As I walked to the grocery store this morning, I watched cars shuttling in and out of the gas station and then in and out of parking spaces. Humans were no longer human; they existed to feed the cars and take them out on trips. Then I stood in line at the state motor vehicles office, which also issues State photo ID cards for those of us who no longer drive, and there were the humans, again slaves to the car, their time eaten when it could have been used to care for children, soothe the sick, listen to elders, walk in nature. Are we insane?! How did we, as homo sapiens sapiens, soi-disant the one who knows it knows, come to this! In doing so, Gaia is wounded, over and over and over. Wait until the giant glaciers that provide drinking water to half of humanity dry up…

6 Likes

“I hope this ceremony will be an inspiration not only to us here in Iceland but also for the rest of the world,” Jakobsdottir told AFP, “because what we are seeing here is just one face of the climate crisis.”

Here is another face:

1 Like

Only here and a few other places have I seen anything of this memorial. What of the last insect? The last worm? The last bird? The Guardian is reporting it’s raining plastic, which I have posted on my site. But when referred no one reads. Deaf, dumb and blind we will wander into chaos. The Big Melt, The Great Dying and to hear no bells, when it tolls for thee.

Yup. And add to that the new “underwater mortgages.”

1 Like