Home | About | Donate

IEA: Renewables on Track to Be Largest Source of Global Electricity in Five Years

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2020/11/10/iea-renewables-track-be-largest-source-global-electricity-five-years

I wonder how many climate deniers and oil gurus are already invested in alternatives. Hypocritical insurgents we can call them.

3 Likes

Let Science & Sanity Prevail!

The last paragraph is the key for the level of renewables to go off the charts, a level monetary playing field with fossil fuels. End the subsidies!

1 Like

Sooner or later fossil fuel’s ad agency will come onto this forum, probably assuming multiple astroturfed personas. Their favorite mantra will be that solar and wind power can’t be stored, so fossil fuel must be burned. The nuclear industry’s ad agency has something similar.

I entered the Helsinki Energy Challenge. I’m one of the entrants that probably scored 6.9 out of 7 points for best technology, then 0 out of 3 points for worst teamwork, so they probably will give all the money to any technology that scored 5 out of 7 as long as the team was loaded with Ph.Ds in the correct sub-fields. In any case I’m quite sure that we can achieve a shockingly inexpensive source of tertiary (fill-in) electricity in maybe 5 years IFF we try. Bets are, some rinky-dink state or region will try it and 100 other regions will pooh-pooh the radical concept of actually paying somebody who isn’t the government’s wealthy friend. Why pay for mission-critical climate research when you can steal it later?

I have all sorts of ideas about geothermal heat storage, and two different plans use it. My third plan raises and lowers 30,000 tons of rocks for a kind of non-lithium battery that stores 10 megawatts of power times 72 hours of generation time, and the device almost never wears out. If you need 100 megawatts of peak demand power, I can scale it. I can name four stored power competitors but why bother - they won’t compete.

1 Like

We do indeed need some alternative to lithium batteries, or rare earths really. Almost all of the supply is controlled by less than 10 countries, one of which is China. Think OPEC on steroids after a few years. The idea on lifting weight is interesting. Sounds similar to some hydroelectric units that use the excess energy generated in the evening to pump water back into the reservoir for peak usage.

For both or just fossil?

Sorry, I wasn’t clear. I’m talking about the huge subsidies given to the fossil fuel industry, that makes it almost impossible for the renewable industry to compete with monetarily. Not the tax credits given to consumers for switching from fossil fuels to renewables.
If both industries were on a level playing field with government subsidies, the fossil fuel industry wouldn’t be able to compete IMO, lobbyist for fossil fuels, promoting the subsidies for their industry know this as well.