Home | About | Donate

If Clinton is Serious About Economic Populism, She Should Come Out Against Fast Track

If Clinton is Serious About Economic Populism, She Should Come Out Against Fast Track

John Nichols

Hillary Clinton has backed NAFTA-style “free-trade” agreements and she has opposed NAFTA-style “free-trade” agreements. Like other prominent Democrats, she has been inconsistent in her support of what is best for workers, the environment and human rights.

But Clinton has a chance to get trade policy right when it matters.

And when it matters is now.

Any American that is remotely entertaining the idea of voting for this "THING" named Hillary needs to read this revealing 3 part series/account of her Agenda/history from "Counter Punch": http://www.counterpunch.org/

From Nixon Girl to Watergate
The Making of Hillary Clinton
by ALEXANDER COCKBURN and JEFFREY ST. CLAIR
First in a three-part series.

The Seeds of Corruption
Second in a three-part series.

Secrecy, Intransigence and War
Last of a three-part series.
http://www.counterpunch.org/
***Cockburn and St. Clair wrote this some time ago and it doesn't get into Little Rock or Mena Arkansas or being in on the TPP from the get-go (with the likes of her buddy Henry Kissinger) but, it is A good primer- (There are 3 current articles about her now on CP) I should probably be posting this on some pro Hillary site! Hey, that's A good idea smile

And there is simply zero excuse for a Kool-Aid drinking "journalist" like John Nichols to pretend to entertain any notion that Clinton might move toward any humane or progressive position.

With this I totally agree- This Woman simply can NOT be trusted, period-
John Nichols is one very confused little man and should have figured out by now that Hillary's oversized Reptillian brain will never be controlled by whatever grey matter she has slushing around between her alligator mouth and receding hairline- All of the inconvenient and most suspicious deaths of people that were in some way involved in politics and business with the Clintons speaks volumes about these two opportunistic Lizards- Plausible deniability ran out on them long ago and just won't wash clean...
John Nichols has once more made himself look stupid and amateurish.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

Now is. not the time to analyze to sit on the sidelines, to say that you are not sure how this trade agreement will work out. This will be another sock in the gut to working people. If Hillary can't stand up now her words, that she wants to be a champion of everyday Americans will ring false. Good, maybe when people see her true colors shining through it will be enough to say,"and baby we don't love you."

Clinton isn't going to do a thing about Fast Track and she sure as he'll isn't going to whisper a word about the Empire she auditioning to be the faux-Empress of.

The only secret "promise' that Hillary will keep is --- to never mention the hand of the EMPIRE that feeds her.

It's not about the Money --- but the EMPIRE behind the money!

The really pivotal issue (of all 'issues') is whether Hillary (or
any one of these neocon ‘R’ Vichy party political puppets, and
neoliberal-con ‘D' Vichy party political puppets) will do anything
about the Empire which is the cancerous CAUSE of all these 'identity
issues', 'symptom problems' (including; TPP, Fast Track, wars, inequality, racism, spying, Wall Street looting, et al.) and our entire "ailing social order" ----
all of which is CAUSED by only one central, seminal, singular, but
'disguised' EMPIRE (the Cancer of all Maladies) in our sickened body
politic.

The answer, of course, is NO ---- Hillary will not even
whisper a word about the Disguised Global Capitalist Empire that she is
auditioning in front of, and 'for which she will front' if (s)elected as
the next faux/Emperor/Empress/president of this Disguised Global
Capitalist Empire's nominal world HQ in the belly of what most deluded
and propagandized citizen/'subjects' wishfully call 'their country'.

As Zygmunt Bauman hauntingly puts it, “In the case of an ailing social
order, the absence of an adequate diagnosis…is a crucial, perhaps
decisive, part of the disease.”13

Berman, Morris (2011-02-07). Dark Ages America: The Final Phase of Empire (p. 22). Norton. Kindle Edition.

Today and HERE, the disease is Empire, and the cure is public 'exposure'.

Perhaps, the non-violent step beyond "Occupy" is not
just "Occupy the Empire" as I had thought and worked toward for many years,
but is mass civil 'actions' of public exposure with signs reading
"Expose the Empire".

Liberty, democracy, justice, and equality
Over
Violent/Vichy
Empire,

Alan MacDonald
Wells, Maine

He has "made himself" Not just "look stupid"

Hillary just said she supports a Constitutional amendment to address Citizens United, if necessary. Yeah, right. She and her hedge fund pals are laughing all the way to the bank. Hillary could come out against the TPP, and she will, if it actually passes. Hillary has done/will do and has said/will say anything to get your vote.

In what is turning out to be a most disappointing field of candidates in what will be touted as the "most important election of all time," now is the time to understand that we can't vote our way out of the problems we face. Between ballot access laws, redistricting, unreliable voting systems, voter ID laws, waning public interest and ineffective campaign finance laws, voting has been pretty meaningless for quite some time. These laws create a system whereby candidates are selected for us in advance by the two-party monopoly. There is no way for We the People to win in this scenario. Both the Democratic and Republican Parties have been driving this bus, and it is only a matter of time before the bus actually goes off the cliff. Our only choice appears to be between a slow lingering death and a quick bloody one.

Or we could get off our duffs, get out in the streets and take control of the country of which We the People are sovereign. We begin by stopping TPP Fast Track with or without the assistance of Hillary, who really couldn't care less about any of us.

Before any one points out that the state owns tools of violence they will be unafraid to use, all I can say is remember our revolutionary ancestry. As Patrick Henry proclaimed: Give me Liberty or Give me Death.

I agree with the premise that one should take possession of their vote and use it to select the candidate who actually represents their concerns, instead of being ruled by fear. I stepped away from the lesser evils voting system a long time ago.

Even a well-orchestrated write-in campaign that receives the most votes, but also missed ballot access deadlines, cannot win, because most systems won't count those votes. Only "official write-ins" are recognized in these systems. And, willy-nilly voting by disgruntled voters for multiple whomevers doesn't have any impact at all, although I employed this technique many times before I started to not vote specific ballot lines. (They count under-votes.) Our electoral system is rigged from the ground up; they get us coming and going. We see incremental change, mainly for the worse, but voting has never produced a sea change.

I stick to my original premise, we can't vote our way out of this... Because not enough of us are aware, which is why we need to take to the streets and build a movement that will fight for the heart and soul of our country within a non-violent framework. That's what's required to raise people's awareness.

I want to live to see the day when candidates are worth voting for, our votes will be counted--and our votes will actually matter. Our own history proves that peoples movements are what forced positive social change in the US. We got to vote for the candidates who fulfilled those promises, but they came after the marches and the hostility.

From where I sit, it is a pretty hostile country out there already, and has been for a good portion of the population for a very long time, since slavery. The longer we sit still for oppression, the more hostile our environment becomes--in every sense. I hope we can still march our way out of it, because this is one very heavily armed country.

That's it. Now the editors have mistake an article from The Onion for one from The Nation. It's obviously amateur hour since the format changed here. I will say that I am glad to see Nichols is finally writing for The Onion, as a progressive Democratic apologist he was obviously going to hit a wall with the non-fiction stuff. Good for him.

Everything the Clintons say would be laughable if they didn't have such a sinister legacy.

What a insipid call. Really? If Clinton is going to be an economic populist she should come out against fast tracking the TPP?

Come on!

A serious economic populist wouldn't waste time being against fast tracking it. She'd be simply AGAINST the whole thing.

sheeesh.

Nichols: " But Clinton has a chance to get trade policy right when it matters". If you really believe that John, please contact me, as that has to be one of the most naïve statements about Hillary that I have ever read... and maybe I can help you.

The quote should read: But Clinton has a chance to get trade policy right when it matters to the .01% and the people that have selected her for President!

Excellent summary.

Elections in America amount to little more than an exercise in the chickens deciding whether the fox or the weasel should be installed as guardian of the hen house. I'm sure that John Nichols is fully aware of this reality, but it would be hard for him to continue in his role of "progressive" commentator if he didn't continue clinging to the fiction that the Democratic Party, though flawed, is still more committed to representing the interests of common citizens.

Nichols has quietly been promoting the Clinton neoliberal agenda for years, so understand this article in that light.

How can Hillary Clinton be "serious" about "economic populism" while maintaining the hard-core anti-poor corporate agenda? Bill Clinton gave us NAFTA, ended actual welfare aid for the desperately poor, and took the first steps toward similarly ending Social Security, targeting the disabled. But hey, who doesn't love Big Bill, right? Before launching her pre-campaign, Hillary Clinton was busy promoting the TPP. Now she should lie about it? No matter, certain media marketed to libs (perhaps most strikingly, MSNBC) have gone all-out to sell H. Clinton -- pro-war, anti-poor, pro-corporate empowerment, anti-New Deal Clinton.

I did also say "amateurish" Alan wink

Yes, Alexander Cockburn died in July of 2012- Counterpunch revived the articles last week, as they often reprint previous pieces that are worthy of todays issues- I for one am grateful that they did- So what is your point in telling me that Cockburn has been dead for A while?

Yes, they are interesting (for an entirely different reason?) to me because they cleared up a lot of misconceptions I had about Hillary, one being the propaganda/ manufactured thought perception that she was fiercely doing her part for "Universal Health Care" in her husbands first term, which as the article pointed out as pure bullshit- So, a revealing article written 3 years ago about what unfortunately may be the main contender for our next screw us all in chief just might be a good thing for many out there who know little about this women (Thing)....
Your reply seemed A bit snarky and could have offered up more for the audience here- Try and put some thought and feeling into what you have to say if you want to be taken seriously wink