Home | About | Donate

If Dems Want to Win GA, Biden Needs to Step Up on Immigration

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/views/2021/01/05/if-dems-want-win-ga-biden-needs-step-immigration

1 Like

Disenfranchisement is the biggest mistake that the Democrats have made over the last several decades. They have assumed that voters, having seen the evil of the Republican agendas, would come out in droves and vote Democratic despite not being courted. Oops. Take no group for granted. Listen to the needs of all. Make plans to help them in a timely fashion and bring them into the process. Engage them and they will vote. Follow up and they will vote the next time and solicit votes. Mitt Romney may think “corporations are people”, but Democrats should know and act better.

2 Likes

I haven’t heard any word from the Democrat’s power structure regarding the deportation of mothers and their US born children, who were seeking asylum.

Source=https://theintercept.com/2021/01/02/asylum-seekers-children-expulsion-pandemic/

1 Like

Here we go again with identity politics.

If the Dems want to win in Georgia, they should have come up with a program that motivates Latinx, white and black poor and middle-class voters.

2 Likes

When she says “immigration” what does she mean? Sure we need more humane policies for handling asylum requests and seperating children from their parents is bad. But these have to go hand in hand with stemming the flow of illegal immigrants at the border. I often hear latinos talking of one but not the other.

2 Likes

they did. they actually hammered at the 2k bribe.

immigration would’ve been the dumbest thing they could’ve done there.

1 Like

If the Dems were serious about winning GA, they wouldn’t have nominated two right-wing neoliberals who oppose every issue that their base supports. If they really wanted to win, they would be supporting the issue that 80% of their constituents support – National Improved Medicare For All.

1 Like

That will depend on how much power is meted out to presidential candidate Julian Castro, his twin brother Congressman Joaquin Castro, and presidential candidate Beto O’Rourke, who all have strong immigration reform positions. Like you, I’d like to see them protect the asylum seekers.

asylum seekers should be (and legally are) in a very different category.

one of the problems we’re having is the persistent conflation of immigrants and asylees.

My gripe with Trump (and Obama before him) was mistreating what should be a heavily protected class of human being. Migration solely for economic opportunity (immigration and especially illegal migration) should not get that same protection, although there’s never a justification for mistreatment of any human being.

But it’s a question you’re right to ask anymore, because i think everyone’s lumping all border crossers together.

2 Likes

Good news Progressives! Democrats won both runoff elections!

Bad news: This makes Joe Manchin arguably the most second most powerful Democrat in Washington - the first is Joe Biden.
…
I for one welcome our new Blue Dog overlord!

Ironically, Georgia is one of the places where companies like Perdue (It takes a tough man to make a tender chicken) have replaced black workers trying to unionize with Latinx undocumented workers. It takes a real Einstein to suggest a focus on immigration in a state like Georgia. Sometimes I wonder about Common Dreams.

1 Like

it’s not CD, per se. the entire issue is a result of urban liberals not having any idea of the job competition going on in the lower working class zones of labor control in the US, especially the south and the midwest. in short, the white professional class hasn’t been subjected to the anti-labor force competition that my class has been, so they don’t see what the fuss is all about. you can almost always tell what class people are in largely by their stance on illegal migration.
Black working class communities in the south have been battered by replacement workers from Latin and South America as well as African immigrants, who have made deep incursions into midwest light industry.

But the only way to know that first hand is to be around that world. And few of these people have ever set foot in a contemporary factory or industrial operation. At least not at the ground level.

3 Likes

You’re not a programmer? Programmers have certainly felt the hammer of H1Bs from India and China.

1 Like

And so you should, and we all should. Knee-jerk “Liberalism” that’s never on our side (see the late Phil Ochs’s “Love me I’m a Liberal”) does none of us any favors.

1 Like

you’re right, and tech is definitely an exception to that rule. And I used to work in tech in the 90s when H1B replacements were flying.

I’m not saying nobody, ever has had their jobs outsourced. Some doctors, have, too. But as a generalization, it’s accurate.

1 Like