Home | About | Donate

If Elected, Jeb Bush Will Privatize Public Education

If Elected, Jeb Bush Will Privatize Public Education

Diane Ravitch

Matthew Pulver, writing at Salon.com, describes Jeb Bush’s dangerous belief in privatization and free markets in education.

With all due respect, Ms. Ravitch, what won't the bastard son of dark nobility not privatize and/or destroy, cannibalize, ruin, or degrade?

Is it passion? Or that same love of money Biblically defined as the ROOT of all evil, including crony capitalism so that Bush's diabolical soul mates can also capitalize upon the commons, destroying everything real, true, genuine, and decent... in their wake:

"Not even the failure of the charter school he founded in Liberty City, a poor black neighborhood, dampens his passion for charters and vouchers."

To gain a full conception of Bush "family values," the following documentary is vital:

Jeb Bush is one of the most dangerous men in America. As a devout corporate fundamentalist, Jeb only worships the billionaire class. Privatization of everything will bring corporate America one step closer to slavery, the ultimate objective of every privately run multinational. Jeb and Hillary are therefore the "preferred" candidates of sociopathic CEO's and should expect almost unlimited financing to make sure that the public doesn't vote "outside of the box". I'm not sure that the American people will be able to galvanize enough support to reject both of these sick individuals from ascending to the White House in their quest to enslave the 99%.

Sorry, private schools are not the answer! That was tried back in George Washington's day and most of the children missed out! Most private schools scrim off money for owners/experts. All taxpayer money should go to educating the children!

Firstly, hat's off to Ms. Ravitch. She is not too "out there" in saying Jeb Bush literally wants to privatize the schools, He, like his entire family is out of control and actually deranged. The proof started amassing in the 1980's, these are among the most craven people on earth.
Second, NO, we had, by design a PUBLIC school system in the United States. It's not a monopoly, it is a public department. Try to understand, it worked exceedingly well until the right conned people otherwise.

I would suggest anybody here pick up a copy or two of Education Weekly (a couple issues are free online) and find out how charters are doing nationwide, Those who are imbued with them might walk away with a few new ideas. In some cities not only are charters not near expectations in quality but actually a financial, personnel, and resource drain on the districts they are in, There are more negative than positive reports from teachers, They've had a couple decades to get this together and the great privatization experiment has, with a few exceptions, been overwhelmingly unsuccessful.

What is most discouraging is that Democrats are likely to lose, for reasons our lib media won't touch. Think back: Clinton/Gore targeted the poor, giving us 8 yrs of Bush, elected and re-elected by the middle class. The poor -- and those who get why unrelieved poverty is sinking the US -- overwhelmingly voted for Obama in hopes that he could launch a legit public discussion about our poverty crisis. He tried, Dems and libs aren't interested.

Now, after Bill Clinton ended actual welfare for our desperately poor, he began dismantling Social Security, targeting the disabled -- an issue that was of little interest to liberal media. As a result, the disabled/seriously ill became the fastest-growing group of homeless Americans by 2000 (they did very poorly on the streets). President Obama restored disability benefits, but the Clinton wing of the Dems resumed targeting Social Security again. Over the past year alone, they agreed to dramatically cut food stamps to the elderly poor and the disabled. Reportedly, they are either considering, or have already agreed to, virtually end Social Security Disability as a final step toward ending Social Security in whole.

Now, normally, the VP goes on to run for president. VP Joe Biden will be launching his campaign later in summer. Any Dem pol can then challenge him for the nomination, and the primaries will determine which one goes on to run for president. By choosing to heavily market Hillary Clinton -- pro-war, anti-poor, pro-corporate empowerment, anti-New Deal -- even more Dem voters have been utterly alienated. Liberal media are still promoting the notion that our corporate state is so successful that everyone can work, and there are jobs for all, therefore no need for poverty relief. Democrats cannot win elections with the votes of middle class Democrats alone.

The goal: Phasing out quality public education so that children get only the education their parents can afford. This will determine who qualifies for the jobs that pay a living wage, and who essentially become indentured servants of a corporate state.

Do a little research on H. Clinton's record concerning charter schools/education privatization. That said, lib media should remind readers/listeners that Clinton isn't the 2016 Dem candidate. Usually, the VP goes on to run for president, and VP Joe Biden will be launching his campaign later in summer. Any Dem pol can then challenge him for the nomination, and the primaries will determine which one goes on to run for president.

I really don't want to hear about how any school failing is a good thing. It is a very Bad Thing for oh so many reasons. Charter schools are dropping like flies here in Wa. state because they don't show a profit and cant get investiors. The nation invested in the public school programs and unfortunately for reasons we are quite familiar with of late failed to invest enough. Instead we stupidly were drawn into extensive foreign wars instead of staying at home working for the future.

In my Massachusetts home town, a new public high school is being built. Hardly a gripe is heard about the enormous cost, or "inefficiencies", from its voters, who are largely conservative. I'm proud that the town still values education as an essential public service, not a business.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

"The fact that some charter schools or private schools fail is not a problem in an of itself."

Failing charter schools are a big problem because sometimes these schools fail in the middle of the year or just before school begins in Aug, or Sept. New schools must be found for these "orphaned" kids. This is very disruptive of the educational process, it is not a smooth easy process. In most cases, they will return to the REAL public schools, causing further disruption in those schools. Not to mention acquiring the students' records from the failed charter school...sometimes these records are lost or destroyed. There's nothing good or easy about this "process." Public schools are a commons and a public good, charter schools steal funds and resources from the actual public schools and in general, do no better than the REAL public schools.

There are many reasons for parents send their children to private schools; Southern white girls must be protected from blacks, school too dangerous, school too far away, religion first to name a few--all of which I know those who have had these priorities. Private schools are being turned into Charter schools in order to privatize public schools and therefore have taxpayers pay for these "private" schools. Sorry, but I get it--right wingers want to choose their priority and have the taxpayer pay for it! Sorry, but I believe in the core of America democracy is free schooling for all and if parents have their private reason for private school, they should pay for it! I sent my children to private school for high school because their public school was too far away (25 miles over country hills) and I paid 100% for it. "Private" schools can pick and choose. This is not American democracy!

Of course, he has to say at once that his most important priority, surprise surprise, is our good friend democratic Israel. He has absolutely no idea of any foreign or domestic policy which would be of any value to real humans.

Why would parents spend thousand$$$....So Muffy and Reginald do not have to socialize with the riff-raff or be exposed to "them" outside their class. In addition, it is a status symbol to send one's progeny off to the most exclusive, expensive private "country day school" that their money can buy. And, it helps to pave a path to admission to equally elitist and expensive universities. As for the "mandatory taxes" statement, I probably pay a higher percentage of taxes than those sending their offspring to private schools. I know that in many states, property taxes are used to fund public education and it shows in the disparity in the quality/success of public schools in wealthy neighborhoods versus poor neighborhoods. Perhaps you might want to broaden your view by reading Jonathan Kozol's non-fiction book, "Savage Inequalities." You just might have to step out of your comfort zone and learn something new. Your elitism saturates your comments regardless of what the topic is.