Home | About | Donate

If It's Biden vs. Trump, This Year's One-Choice Election Will Be for Oligarchy

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/views/2020/03/09/if-its-biden-vs-trump-years-one-choice-election-will-be-oligarchy

4 Likes

Well said Chris, as always. A child can’t choose his parents, but his parents and grandparents can choose those who shape the policies under which s/he will develop and the opportunities available to her or him.
BERNIE 2020!

9 Likes

I agree with everything Chris brilliantly ( yet again) articulates in this piece.

This especially:
“The longer we are fooled by the electoral burlesque, the more disempowered we will become.”
Yes. That is part of learned helplessness, repeatedly getting stunned, shocked, having delusional false hopes which again and again get stripped away leaving one feeling powerless.

This is a heartbreaking, painful read but a truth that must be faced. It’s that or apathy/denial which that may go hand in hand with some form of self medication (any victory gin yet?).

14 Likes

No. At the very worst, it will be “oligarchy” (in quotes) vs autocracy. It is the difference upholding constitutional rule in the Roman Republic, flawed it may have been, and it’s dictatorial transformation consumated by Julius Caesar and his protige Octavian.

Even if we stick with your terminology of oligarchy, I infinitely prefer the “rule of few” to the “rule of one” especially since we know it is only a matter of time before demographics bring about a progressive majority.

1 Like

As usual, Hedges is spot on. Sanders has promised from day one of his campaign that he is going to dutifully endorse and support whatever corporate tool ends up being the Democratic nominee. Almost assuredly that is going to be Biden. And Sanders bends over backward to let the public know that he is a “decent guy” and that he is his “good friend.”

I have been supporting Bernie all along but anyone thinking he is a revolutionary (at a time when revolution is the only answer) is deluding themselves. Bernie is simply the black sheep of the party who will end up falling in line at the last minute. just like last time. And he will then become just another voice of the oligarchy, admonishing his supporters who gave their heart and soul to this movement (or what they/we thought was a movement) to “grow up” and “vote blue no matter who.”

Bernie has helped to get this people’s movement going but someone else is going to have to take up the mantle as leader. The reason Bernie is going to lose is because it is more important to him to maintain his “friend” status with his long-time cronies in the party than to sever his ties with the oligarchs and be the goddamn revolutionary he ought to be. Bernie should have gone Green in '16 and he’s going to, once again, make the same mistake of remaining loyal to the very party that hates him and everything he stands for.

14 Likes

It’s hard to maintain enthusiasm over Bernie when we already know he is going to wholeheartedly endorse Biden in the end. With the MSM and the party bosses so determined to keep Bernie from winning it will take a miracle for him to get the nomination. The party bosses and every establishment Democrat hate Bernie and everything he stands for but he continues to call them his “friends.” It’s hard for me to keep respecting that. I have stuck with Bernie all along because he has the right idea but he doesn’t quite have the guts to step out of the box and be the revolutionary that is needed. I can already hear the speeches he is going to make on Biden’s behalf and it makes me sick. I will not vote for another oligarch pig.

13 Likes

I agree with your inclinations but know that at least better people would be working under Biden than Trump. That is the only consolation I could take to the booth.

3 Likes

Incredible truth. Thank you for this great article.

8 Likes

Maybe I’m being hopeful, but I’m not so sure Bernie will endorse Biden this time around. He may stay quiet.

2 Likes

The way it looks as of today (mon 3/9) Biden will take most of the delegates Tues. It’s all but over for Sanders now, but if he loses Mich he’s done. He may have enough money to stay in another month or so, but at that stage I think it would be useless and it would hurt his reputation as “divider” of the party. We can all take solace in the fact that he will continue his “revolution” with other elected progressives and build on what he has started in 2016.
Myself, I will stay home in Nov as I live in a red state and my Republican Congressman is running unopposed in my district. I believe this Nov will be a re-run of the 2016 election with this time we will have a man running with the well worn “same ole, same ole” platform.

3 Likes

Perfect clarity. Perfect analysis. This is the truth, and the truth shall set you free. ‘Taking to the streets’ is the only way to ‘turn the herd’, and in my opinion, the only chance Bernie has of salvaging the nomination. Failing that, the only reason to go to the polls in Nov. will be to give the Green Party the 5% needed to qualify for federal election money, a place in future debates and become, not just a viable, but a muscular third party.

12 Likes

"We need to overthrow the system, not placate it."

I believe Mr. Hedges is correct.

The “dutiful sheepdog” of 2016 is not showing himself to be the fighter we need him to be.

The next two weeks will confirm or deny this. I hope I am wrong.

He’s a lover, a lover of the people. A people oppressed by themselves for many decades, by choosing to listen to the lies of establishment politicians of both corporate war parties. Too addicted to the D or R they saddled their entire life with when they were barely out of puberty.

I say, let’s give the Oligarchy something to remember while we can.

7 Likes

From this article by Chris Hedges: “Trump and Biden are repugnant figures, doddering into old age with cognitive lapses and no moral cores.”

Trump could not decline any further because he had so little cognitively to begin with, no ability to discern or express “alternative facts” from reality. It’s all the same to him.

Biden’s clear dementia and cognitive decompensation hit us in the face with every public performance. Watch 32 examples here:
ttps://caitlinjohnstone.com/2020/03/05/stop-calling-it-a-stutter%e2%80%8a-%e2%80%8ahere-are-dozens-of-examples-of-bidens-dementia-symptoms/

Or watch the next one hit your MSM screen using this list to discern Joltin’ Joe’s condition:
Here is the Mayo Clinic’s list of symptoms for a stutter, also known as a stammer:

• Difficulty starting a word, phrase or sentence
  • Prolonging a word or sounds within a word
  • Repetition of a sound, syllable or word
  • Brief silence for certain syllables or words, or pauses within a word (broken word)
  • Addition of extra words such as “um” if difficulty moving to the next word is anticipated
  • Excess tension, tightness, or movement of the face or upper body to produce a word
  • Anxiety about talking
  • Limited ability to effectively communicate

Here is the Mayo Clinic’s list of dementia symptoms:

• Memory loss, which is usually noticed by a spouse or someone else
  • Difficulty communicating or finding words
  • Difficulty with visual and spatial abilities, such as getting lost while driving
  • Difficulty reasoning or problem-solving
  • Difficulty handling complex tasks
  • Difficulty with planning and organizing
  • Difficulty with coordination and motor functions
  • Confusion and disorientation
7 Likes

To get to a filibuster proof majority in the senate, it would take keeping all democrat seats (hard to see Jones pulling it off), taking all toss up, lean Republican, and likely Republican seats to get to 59 senate seats which still isn’t enough to be filibuster proof. That’s even before trying to get people like Manchin on board. Since Bernie still wants to keep the filibuster.

I am at the point where the best I can hope for is that we take back the senate, some house legislatures, some governorships and have a democrat appointing judges especially to the supreme court.

I mean if you live in Wyoming, Idaho, Utah, etc. yeah for president do what you want go third party, but if you are in Iowa, North Carolina, Georgia, Arizona, etc. states that went Obama before or are getting close to flipping think really hard if you really are ok with Trump replacing Ginsburg or anyone else for that matter.

5 Likes

The leadership of the DNC should be utterly ashamed of themselves for using a dementia patient for their quest for power. After all we only see the gaffes for a moment on television. Who knows what mental shape Biden actually is in on a day to day basis. And they are doing this because they don’t want their donors from the insurance industry and big pharma to lose some money? These people are just as sick as Trump. It constitutes some kind of elder abuse if you ask me.

Peace
Po

10 Likes

And Joe and Jill are playing poster-elders for Alzheimer’s and dementia. How long can they keep this up with the highly edited videos? Until he makes the next public appearance confusing his sister and his wife and biting at one of their fingers? No way can he debate Bernie one-on-one…

4 Likes

Furthermore, a Trump victory gets two more reactionary justices on the Supreme Court. Stick that in your John Roberts mug and suck it down.

1 Like

Exactly, I was going to say the same thing.

1 Like

That is not hope, that is delusion. There is no doubt that Bernie will endorse Biden or whoever the corporate tool might be. He should have gone Green in '16 and he is going to make the same mistake he did then, falling in line with the Establishment. I have stuck with Bernie all along but I have always known that he is not the revolutionary this movement needs. He is going to end up taking his place within the damn oligarchy, still clinging to the fool’s hope that gradual change within the party is possible.

4 Likes

This is an excellent analysis and overall thesis. But I think, it denies Sanders his historical value. His weakness in confronting the Democratic establishment is now and it was obvious in the last election. But his undeniable strength into bringing taboo topics (such as working class needs) to the mainstream of the american society and his unprecedented unique model of funding his campaign, are not to be discarded so easily as Hedges does. He may have his limitations, and there is a book from Jeffrey St. Claire titled Bernie and the Sandernistas that analyses those in detail, but he has contributed enormously in pushing the agenda forward and in galvanizing young people. One person can not do it all. Bernie was good for a stage, which makes it easier for the next one to occur. But I am not holding my breath. The US is not a progressive society, and it is so fractured and passive, and Power here is strong and cruel and people here are not very well educated in civic matters, and by design they are left ignorant of the rest of the world. Look at the pro-Biden vote of the working classes!

7 Likes