Home | About | Donate

'If We Can Do It, So Can You': Marshall Islands Makes Inspiring Climate Pledge

'If We Can Do It, So Can You': Marshall Islands Makes Inspiring Climate Pledge

Lauren McCauley, staff writer

Faced with the disastrous impacts of the growing climate crisis, the Marshall Islands, a remote Pacific island nation, has taken a decisive step towards the preservation of the planet, as well as its own land and people.

On Sunday, Republic of the Marshall Islands (RMI) President Christopher Loeak announced his country would be the first small island nation to submit to the United Nations a clear climate target for 2025 ahead of the upcoming Paris climate summit.

After what has been done to the Marshall Islands since WW-II, Atom Bombs, Hydrogen Bombs and other weapons tests, not to mention the fact that you are still living (and dying) from those tests, I take my hat off to you for taking the lead.
* May all go well with you, and may you meet with success in leading the way'
;-})

If taking our hat off to the Marshall Islanders for this extraordinary international climate change mitigation goal is somehow respectable or admirable, pardon me, but I do not see anything at all either respectable or admirable about it. I see a smug resignation instead, admitting defeat and excusing oneself and one's people and nation for embodying that very same smug resignation to defeat on climate change and the Sixth Great Extinction including, but far from limited to the entire extinction of all primates, including humans.

Why should we not require ourselves to offer an equally, or, preferably, even better example of how to reverse this global collective self-and-ecological-assassination of most of the now-living species?

Anything short of taking up such a challenge is simply too little to be taken seriously.

I'm curious. Is saluting a small nation for taking the lead or trying to set an example, which may well be followed by others either by imitation or by concern for the same things, wrong?
* If my comment to them was negative, what should I have done, told them to "Forget it, too little, too late?"
* For crying out loud, anybody who tries to do anything, large or small, to turn this mess around deserves applause, not disdain.
* Just one old man's opinion, of course.
;-})

A. It's a pledge, and those are cheap.

B. Will the Marshalls even exist by 2050?

I wish them luck, obviously, and I still think we need to accept responsibility for their collective relocation eventually, but it's one thing for an island to come to a screeching halt, another for the industrial world to do so. Capital just doesn't do long term, especially combined with a blind faith in technological salvation.

Maybe RMI will join with another RMI - Rocky Mountain Institute that is. The size, scale and overall situation of the Marshall Islands is like a microcosm test case for integrated response.

http://www.rmi.org/

Absolutely! I think you did the right thing; the Marshall Islanders are doing whatever they can!! More power to them and may I somehow be as motivated and determined as they are!!!

This is magnificent news, and yes, inspirational - if they can make good on it, not get swept away in their next tsunami, etc. Of course the RMI will be shit upon and probably subjected to drone atracks by that 'exceptional' bastion of democracy and righteousness, the Useless States of Amerikkka.

NOW WHAT ARE THE CHANCES THAT THE MARSHALL ISLANDS WILL SHOW THE SAME GODDAMN SPINE AND CONSCIENCE WITH REGARD TO THE PALESTINIAN ISSUE, GET THE FUCK ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY AND STOP VOTING WITH ISRAEL, THE US, CANADA, AUSTRALIA AND THE OTHER PRO-GENOCIDE TERRORIST STATES IN FAVOUR OF MURDERING PALESTINIANS AND STEALING THEIR LAND???

It's actually plausible that the Marshall Islands will learn from this historical moment that it is not in their interest to always vote with the USA. Thanks for bringing this up.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

I'm happy that they're going to make an effort to battle climate change. But I also agree with WalterJSmith that there's not much to be proud of at this point. To make this clear I'd like to correct the President's statement to better reflect the truth:
I am proud that, despite the climate disasters hitting our shores with increasing regularity, we remain commited to showing the way in the transition to a low-carbon economy,
should read
I am ashamed that, only because of the climate disasters hitting our shores with increasing regularity, we finally consider the transition to a low-carbon economy,