Home | About | Donate

If You Want to Celebrate a "Landslide" Clinton Victory, Don't Call Me

If You Want to Celebrate a "Landslide" Clinton Victory, Don't Call Me

Robert Reich

I got a call from a friend in Washington who knows more about political polling than anyone in America. He was almost breathless with excitement.

“It’s gonna be a landslide,” he said.

“In which direction?” I joked.

“Hillary’s going to win in places we haven’t won in years – Georgia, Nevada, Arizona. She’ll take the entire West, the whole East Coast. Trump is sinking like a stone.”

“So do we get the Senate back?”

“You bet.”

“Sixty votes?”

“No, but a nice majority.”

“And the House?”

If we vote every incumbent Democratic and Republican House and Senate member out, then both the House and the Senate will go to the Democrats.
But Hillary's messaging seems to favor keeping Republican incumbents in office.
Why is that?

You have a very astute friend, Bob.

I think voter turnout will be the x factor in this election, given that both Trump and Clinton have so much baggage and are perceived negatively by a large portion of the electorate. This is a great opportunity, though, to make a strong showing with a third party vote. Go Green.

Republicans and Democrats will never allow a ruling majority of either party. Were they to be in a ruling position they would not be able to blame each other for the continued political, economic and social destruction they depend on. They will continue to engineer a political system that can point fingers back and forth in order to keep the nation stratified. Clintoon or Dump, Americans will continue to wallow in a scheme designed to never allow the will of the people to come to the fore.

The will of the people will come to the fore when the people demand it.
There are many more of "us" then there are of "them."

How are thy going to be voted out? Most house seats are like my Democratic congressman's - running uncontested.

Sorry to inject some facts, but the Clinton Foundation is a highly regarded charity. There has never been any evidence of any misallocation of funds from it.

Fear of Trump got her a boost. Unless her handlers can pull a fast one, she is bound to lose the debates when he details her past history.

Republicans and Democrats will never allow a ruling majority of either party.

When Barack Obama was elected, the House and Senate also came under Democratic Party control. The Senate even had the 60 vote majority needed to override a filibuster.

So much for never.

Links?

Headline sez: "If You Want to Celebrate a "Landslide" Clinton Victory, Don't Call Me"

I would "celebrate" a landslide only if Capitol Hill and K Street were ringed by very steep, very unstable mountains.

We big clinton-ites and Democrat loyalists would not be celebrating a landslide though simply because it gives the democrats more control, but also the effect of such a landslide on the US political landscape. As if having a liberal supreme court wouldn't be nice enough, a defeat for Donald Trump has the potential to fracture the Republican Party or cripple it with the growing hispanic vote for decades to come. My dream is for the GOP centrists/people who are not insane to fracture from the hardline conservatives, and thus give the center and the left dominance in US politics for at least a decade. The far right would be crippled by this for at least another decade.

I can see why some progressives might not like this. The ruling coalition would likely be somewhat centrist. But at least it would be sane, and there wouldn't be dumb shit like climate change deniers.

I eagerly await november. It will be a glorious one for the Democratic party.

And Obama seemed to do all he could to get rid of that Democratic Plurality within the next 2 years!

Hillary is a centrist on the spectrum of US politics. She is to the right of the Democratic party's liberal base and sanders type independents, but to the left of most republicans in congress in that she supports raising the minimum wage, believes in climate change, and supports some sort of immigration reform. Those might seem like paltry demonstrations of left politics to you, but in the current game, that is center-left. For me, the gap between someone who doesn't believe in man-made climate change at all and someone who does and is willing to do at least something about it (even if that means merely upholding the paris treaty), is bigger and more important than the gap between someone who wants drastic action on climate change and someone who doesn't but still believes in it.

Words do not indicate action, but they do indicate political allegiance. Even if Clinton's still to the right of most people on CD, she's more beholden to them than to anyone on breitbart, because of affiliation. The mere fact that Sanders was able to drag Clinton leftward on the democratic platform is a testament to this.

Trump does pretty poorly in debates, and this is in front of an audience that will be much less receptive to his bombastic style.

Hillary is a neoliberal capitalist who loves war.
That makes her more an Ayn Rand Republican than an FDR Democrat.
According to Hillary and the neo-cons there are two types of people in America: isolationists and internationalists.
In this context isolationists are anti-war and internationalists are pro-war. Hillary is an internationalist.

Hillary is a clear and present danger to this country.

In re to: "For me, the gap between someone who doesn't believe in man-made climate change at all and someone who does and is willing to do at least something about it (even if that means merely upholding the paris treaty), is bigger and more important than the gap between someone who wants drastic action on climate change and someone who doesn't but still believes in it."

If anyone doesn't want drastic action on climate change, they don't really believe in it. (That doesn't mean one can't acknowledge the difficulty of actually making drastic action happen, but it does not allow one to proclaim "merely upholding the paris treaty," for example, is anything more than a small step towards a realistic response to the problem.)

More facts pulled out of thin air!

Sources please? All the sources I have found shows the Clinton Foundation to be a well-run philathropic organization with only 12 percent of funds going to operating and the rest going to programs. If the Clintons were embezzling funds from it, don't you thing one or both of them would be in serious legal trouble by now?

And it is the US Congress that will pass/not pass the TPP, not the US president. And with regard to Hillary changing her positions - isn't that what we want politicians to do under popular pressure?

And why has the US Left become totally indistinguishable from the Alex Jones conspiratorial-populist right?

What good did it do? Obama saved the economy for the bankers not for labor values and destroyed single payer HC as the R's wanted. Elizabeth Warren claims HC is a quick study...extremely bright! She studies Bernie S health care plan when she is a new first lady and performs well for the new FL. HC worked with EW and impressed her as a bright leader when they were senators, I believe working on consumer financial reform. In retrospect, Al Gore was in the WH 24 years ago. He was THE environmentalist, then as much as today. HC the quick study of reasonable interpretation of Neoliberalist direction...Club of Rome...over population and resource depletion? Any Milton F economist must have known the devastation to experience in the coming age due resource depletion and overpopulation. (The whole thing is made up as the new population control?!?!? FEMA camps?!?!?) Obama took the Nobel Peace prize for global nuke containment and went on to develop a trillion dollar nuke package; on the way. (Warren B. purchased PCP in Portland...dept of D, NASA, & aviation...his largest acquisition in his life, 37B..., Dec, 2015! Why not solar manufacturing??? Inner city jobs!!! What would a majority of Democrats perform for HC??? Bernie S took my money and stirred up a labor force that was young, aware of the American banking, régime change, oil control fiasco and willing to clarify America with hard work for a new American direction. HC utilizes the untouchable motive of blaming Putin for WS emails. How soon will BC or HC perform for the white riding horse owner (w/o) shirt in a closed door social payoff in Siberia?
Else,
B Al Gore's Leer Jet: