Home | About | Donate

I'm Striking From School to Protest Inaction on Climate Change – You Should Too

I'm Striking From School to Protest Inaction on Climate Change – You Should Too

Greta Thunberg

I first learnt about climate change when I was eight years old. I learnt that this was something humans had created. I was told to turn off the lights to save energy and recycle paper to save resources.

I remember thinking it was very strange that we were capable of changing the entire face of the Earth and the precious thin layer of atmosphere that makes it our home.

As I was reading your post, Isaiah 11:6 came to my mind, “and a little child shall lead them.” I am 63 years your senior, with 5 grandchildren, and it pains me deeply that our “leaders” are so preoccupied with the immediate future that they ignore the long-run future. In September the UN Secretary General stated his belief that “runaway” global warming would start in about 2 years! If that projection turns out to be accurate, it will mean that global warming will accelerate, and be virtually impossible to stop. Thus, not only will the “ride” to a new equilibrium be a rough one, but once it is reached may be at a level at which Earth System will be unable to support human life! I hope that this projection is wrong; what the projection should do, however, is make our “leaders” act quickly, and decisively, to enable you, my 5 grandchildren, and all other grandchildren HAVE a future. Keep up what you are doing!!