Home | About | Donate

IMF Chief Guilty of OKing $422M Payout to Business Tycoon, Government Friend

IMF Chief Guilty of OKing $422M Payout to Business Tycoon, Government Friend

Lauren McCauley, staff writer

Christine Lagarde, head of the International Monetary Fund (IMF), on Monday was found guilty of "negligence" for approving a massive government payout to business tycoon Bernard Tapie during her tenure as French finance minister.

"This should help calm all that they're-only-in-it-for-themselves, anti-establishment feeling out there," quipped Globe and Mail senior international correspondent Mark MacKinnon in response to the latest charge of government corruption.

Crime will not make you a criminal as long as you are in the right profession, such as banking, politics, corporate CEO , police, military, etc.
Enjoy, it will all be over soon enough.

Yep, echoing Mark MacKinnon's sarcastic tweet, the lack of any repercussions for ms. Lagarde resulting from this guilty conviction will definitely quell any sentiment of mine that the elite/ruling-class consider laws (and morals) to be only applicable to little people and that government is simply a mechanism for channeling money from almost everyone to the ruling class.

/at the very least, she should be liable for the interst charges, no?

Tip of the iceberg!

To paraphrase lenoa Helmsley , only the little people are subject to the law.

Where's the orange jump suit or the French YSL equivalent? This woman should be behind bars doing time like the poor folks who get caught. But no way that happens and this is supposed to calm concerns about unequal treatment? GMAFB.

And taxes.
Remember when Christine balled out the people of Greece for not paying their fair share of the tax burden, and then someone kindly reminder her that as a member of the UN she does not pay any income tax on the $400,000 plus salary she makes as head of the IMF.

What? no jail time just another slap on the wrist for an oligarch. The IMF has been a conduit of oligarchs for decades who have indebted third world nations and are a large part of the global transfer of wealth to the dictators/kings/presidents along with World Bank.

Scales have fallen from my eyes upon reading,

"Christine Lagarde, head of the International Monetary Fund (IMF), on Monday was found guilty of 'negligence' for approving a massive government payout to business tycoon Bernard Tapie during her tenure as French finance minister".

Prior to this revelation, my obviously inadequate intelligence found difficult discerning how it is a market economy is necessarily efficient. Now I see, it is by rewarding "business tycoon[s]" with "massive government payout[s]"! All is now clear! "[B]usiness tycoon[s]" are rewarded with "massive government payout[s]" because they are efficient. And, how is it known they are efficient? Why, because they are rewarded with "massive government payout[s]"! It's all so clear now! "O frabjous day! Callooh Callay"!

Right. Also, thanks for putting "negligence" in quotes. When I read the article, it sounded like kickbacks and embezzlement, and I wonder if "negligence" is a coddling allegation devised for wealthy friends to protect each other. Something else is going on here--either she was found out and a softer charge was drummed up to protect her, or there is evidence of the harsher charge, but this evidence is being covered up. My guess, anyway.

As if this would not have been handled in exactly the same manner by anyone in that role, at that time. When they want to get rid of you, they suddenly decide that THEIR standard behavior is illegal, as long as it is done by the person in power at that time. It sounds like what they've done in Brazil to Dilma Rousseff. They only let her stay this long because the last person in the role was such a despicable pig of a man, that she looked like a saint next to him.

I don't like Lagarde because of her right wingish (rich man always comes out smelling like a rose) plans of action that seem to repeat the old bailout the rich, and then implement extreme cuts to government right afterward, such as in Greece. Bail out the rich boys, and then tax the hell out of the citizens and cut all of their standards of living in half. But that does not mean she behaved in any way, out of the ordinarily, standard way as the French Finance Minister. She is a neocon, and a rich woman with power. Now they want her POWER. It is that simple. There is nothing in this article that proves negligence. There may well be plenty of evidence in reality, but none in this article. Corruption by those who come from money isn't even a "thing" they can understand. They believe their actions are exactly what everyone else with the same level of riches would do, too. AND THEY'RE RIGHT.

When it is your buddy involved in a scandal, stay the hell out of it, and let the rule of law decide. That was her big mistake. She tried to help a friend, very likely at the prompting of other powerful friends. The problem is, a business tycoon never needs your help.

Until all the big wheels, and, the smaller wheels doing the grunt work for them are subject to massive fines and serious jail time, know that all the proclamations of progress, justice and democratic responsibility are nonsense.
Don't be fooled.