Home | About | Donate

IMF Warns that US Needs to 'Urgently' Tackle Poverty

IMF Warns that US Needs to 'Urgently' Tackle Poverty

Andrea Germanos, staff writer

Invest in the nation's infrastructure, raise the minimum wage, expand the Earned Income Tax Credit, improve paid family leave, and raise the ceiling for social security contributions.

These suggestions, long-advocated for by progressive organizations, are now being encouraged by none other than the International Monetary Fund (IMF), which warned Wednesday of an "urgent need to tackle poverty" in the United States.

The IMF speak with forked tongue.

The IMF (known as the Typhoon Mary of the developing world) speaks to the deaf. The folks running the government and corporations aren't in the least bit interested in salvaging the economy, they only care about their personal wealth accumulation and power. Once they're dead, hey...as Louis XIV stated on his deathbed 'Apres moi, le deluge." Which translates into : after I am gone, the Apocalypse (et je m'en fiche pas mal!)

So are they going to give the US a massive loan?????

"The IMF speak with forked tongue"?! Nah! Look, according to the article,

"While praising the 'overall good shape' of the nation's economy, the IMF [noted] the shrinking middle class—now at 'its smallest size in the last 30 years'—as well as 'income and wealth distribution [that] are increasingly polarized' and rising poverty. 'One in seven Americans is living in poverty', including 40 percent of whom are working, the body added".

It is patently obvious a "shrinking middle class", "'income and wealth distribution [that] are increasingly polarized'", "and rising poverty [with] 'One in seven Americans ... living in poverty', including 40 percent of whom are working'", are wholly consistent with "the 'overall good shape' of the nation's economy". Otherwise, how could the U.S. economy not be in "'overall good shape'"? And, to further support this, "measures like ratifying the Trans Pacific Partnership, is the benefit of continued economic growth". See, it is clear a "shrinking middle class", "'income and wealth distribution [that] are increasingly polarized'", and "and rising poverty" are the engines of "continued economic growth". And, who can be opposed to "continued economic growth", I ask you?! So, insofar as the TPP is likely to increase these variables, then indeed the TPP will increase "the benefit of continued economic growth".

Sheesh, Psychedelic_Chicken, can't you see how perfectly coherent the IMF's assessment is? No "forked tongue" here. I'm so excited about falling into the "rising poverty" of a "shrinking middle class", I just can't wait to foster "continued economic growth" in the U.S. by my doing so! Certainly, as well, I know how much my sacrifice will be appreciated by those who are experiencing increasingly growing wealth.

Well done!

This is like being told by the Grand Dragon of the KKK that you're too racist.

Or being lambasted for your lack of ethics by Clinton (either Clinton).

You know it's bad when the IMF tells you you have problems with poverty and income inequality.

The 1% in the US has been tackling poverty this whole time. What is the IMF complaining about? The poor have been pinned to ground this whole time!