Home | About | Donate

Immigrant Community Responds to Wisconsin ICE Raids

Rather than perpetrating a war on terror, the US gov't is perpetrating terror. This is unreasonable cruelty and a complete waste of money and resources. It makes me so sad.

Obama Builds a Legacy: Deporting Women and Children to Death

"Since coming to office in 2009, Obama’s government has deported more than 2.5 million people—up 23% from the George W. Bush years. More shockingly, Obama is now on pace to deport more people than the sum of all 19 presidents who governed the United States from 1892-2000, according to government data.

"And he’s not done yet. With the clock ticking down his final months in office, Obama appears to be running up the score in an effort to protect his title as deporter-in-chief from future presidents. To pad the numbers, Homeland Security is now going after the lowest-hanging fruit: women and children who are seeking asylum from violence in Central America."

"They came in unmarked trucks," Joana Gutierrez, who alleges that immigration agents entered her home without a warrant, told reporters. "They went in and removed the children, my niece, my husband, and did not care that the children were crying. What they did was an abuse."

What they did was in keeping with US policy under a president who promised reform: In order to discourage those fleeing poverty and violence in the Americas, the Obama administration has decided a show of force is necessary. This, the actions convey, is what will happen if you come to the land of the free: agents of the state will whisk you and your family away, put you all in a detention center and send you back to the place you fled - where you might very well die.

From 2014 to October 2015, in fact, a study of deaths reported in the news found that no fewer than 83 asylum-seekers deported by the US government in the preceding year had been murdered upon their return to countries in Central America, like El Salvador, Guatemala and Honduras, all places that have been wrecked by US trade policy and support for repressive governments in the name of stability and free enterprise.