Home | About | Donate

Impeachment Affirms the Will of the People

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/views/2019/06/05/impeachment-affirms-will-people

This article is steeped with a perspective from 2016. It is mid 2019 and much has been revealed since then. The issue of impeachment is not a 2016 issue, as it only became relevant on January 20, 2017 and has grown prodigiously since then. The author is correct on a significant point in that as a political remedy the will of the people is at play along with the misdeeds of Trump (& Co.). What also needs to be remembered as this political process does or does not unfold is that by controlling the timing (to a degree that is well above my unpaid pay grade to understand), the 2020 election is given the best chance at recovery from the right wing morass in which we find the country. Let’s not give Pence a chance to E.O. us to death (thankfully the House wouldn’t help him legislatively) and let’s not give the God Squad a chance to further organize on his behalf as their authentic chosen leader. Sitting on my hands has become mandatory as I watch these exasperating times unfold, but sit I must–and hope for the best of what can only be described as “interesting times”.

1 Like

What % of the American public supported the impeachment of Clinton?

If he goes there will be trouble, if he stays it will be double.

1 Like

“Before you impeach somebody, you have to persuade the American public that it ought to happen”
Nadler proves with this statement that he, and probably most of congressional members are in serious need of a civics lesson, or do they?
Are we to believe that Nadler, Pelosi, and the rest of the “don’t impeach” crowd in congress are this ignorant? I’m not buying it.

1 Like

One thing to remember. (Constitution, Article II, Section 1 and 2.)
Section 1: Before he enter on the Execution of his Office, he shall make the following Oath or Affirmation: “I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the Office of President of the United States and will to the best of my Ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States.
Section 2: “…and he shall have Power to grant Reprieves and Pardons for Offenses against the United States, except in Cases of Impeachment.
*This explains Noxin’s actions. He was on the verge of impeachment. Had he been impeached, he would have been liable to stand trial and all or most of the government’s dirty laundry would have been laid out in view. If he resigned, his successor would pardon him and the laundry would stay in the basket. So, he resigned and was pardoned. His criminality was wiped off the record and he was eventually reenlisted in the government as our “Expert on China and China affairs.”
I would like to see the fat one impeached before history can repeat itself. With him in the dock, all of this greed and destruction could be laid out in public and perhaps we could finally clean up this cesspool and again have an actual government of the people, by the people and for the people.”
;-})

1 Like

This is the most specious argument for Impeachment yet.