Home | About | Donate

Imperiling People and Planet, Warnings Mount That Trump's NAFTA 2.0 Just Another 'Corporate Giveaway'

Imperiling People and Planet, Warnings Mount That Trump's NAFTA 2.0 Just Another 'Corporate Giveaway'

Jessica Corbett, staff writer

Environmentalists on Monday slammed President Donald Trump's replacement for the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA), with Food & Water Watch executive director Wenonah Hauter warning that it "would enshrine and globalize Trump's deregulatory zealotry into a trade pact that would outlast the administration and imperil future efforts to protect consumers, workers, and the environment."

4 Likes

We the people of US C and M have to be the ones who divest ourselves from oil and gas and coal, with our own dollars and through cooperative community building to help everyone out of this Earth rape. WE EACH NEED TO STOP BUYING IN And REINVEST! New energy technology brought directly to the people is what we need now. SOS brilliant builders who care about life more than about money. <3

2 Likes

Doesn’t matter anyway. The die is already cast. It’s just a matter if we are going to try to come together to survive or try to survive by shooting at each other.
Anything at this point that isn’t focused on bringing the world together as a community just hastens the end point.

6 Likes

I wonder how long it will be before Mar- A - Largo is underwater? How far above sea level is Wall St?

3 Likes

Free trade deals, if they were done properly, could be a way to protect Workers rights, Environmental rights, Food safety etc. Free trade could be a way to empower business to do the right thing without making them non competitive. If business all play by the same basic rules, their is no need to sacrifice the environment. So Sad our capitalist leaders have so little vision and can only think of their bonuses.

7 Likes

Seriously, did anyone expect anything different from these thieves?

5 Likes

Very true. I guess we need local restructuring of transportation methods barring any quick dissolve of society. I dream of bike/rail/mag lev networks that turn the automobile obsolete. I also dream of the day Exxon and Monsanto simply go broke because nobody’s buying their crap.

1 Like

Chrystia Freeland, what happened to you?

New technology makes reproduction at very minimal costs in today’s world.
currently the only way of guaranteeing extreme profits is through excessive patents and the extension of patent times allowed. The purpose of this agreement is to protect patents and intellectual property at the expense of the public.

I wonder why that is, oh yea, they prove it every dam day.

1 Like

Anyone else see “DARK MONEY” on PBS tonight?

I knew damned well that the Trump Administration would never negotiate anything favorable to workers and consumers.

Trump is no better than the Democrats. If you believe otherwise you are in for a rude awakening.

2 Likes

“…it formally recognizes bargaining rights for Mexican workers and formally recognizes International Labor Organization (ILO) standards.”

Yeah. For Mexican workers, not US workers whose right to unionize will continue to be fought tooth and nail.

The deal also allows US pharma companies to export to Canada, but we still aren’t allowed to import Canadian drugs here. I’m not sure the Canadians are very interested in our higher drug prices, but they have the option now. Us, we are stuck with these price-gougers with no alternatives available.

3 Likes

The Trump government is a government of, by and for the corporations. The corporations have one of their own in the White House. I could say Trump is a bad president, one of the worst in history, but he is more like a national catastrophe. We MUST vote Trump and the Republicans out of office in 2020. What we need is a huge public turn out at the voting centers throughout America in 2020.

With regard to Trump, there is virtually nothing that he does that is any good for the people of the US, of the world or the planet. The guy is a menace to humanity.