Home | About | Donate

In Advance of Paris Climate Talks, Washington Court Recognizes Constitutional and Public Trust Rights and Announces Agency’s Legal Duty to Protect Atmosphere for Present and Future Generations

In Advance of Paris Climate Talks, Washington Court Recognizes Constitutional and Public Trust Rights and Announces Agency’s Legal Duty to Protect Atmosphere for Present and Future Generations

SEATTLE, Washington -

Late last night, King County Superior Court Judge Hollis R. Hill issued a groundbreaking ruling in the unprecedented case of eight youth petitioners who requested that the Washington Department of Ecology write a carbon emissions rule that protects the atmosphere for their generation and those to come.

###

My Interpretation of Court Ruling:
Washington State must immediately halt the use of biobased ethanol in the fuel supply. whereby the ethanol is produced from fertilizer grown feedstock. It is well established that 3% of all fertilizer used to grow crops goes into the air as N2O, a global warming gas 296 times more potent as CO2. Further, it is well established that ethanol in the fuel supply damages or destroys many of the open-cycle engines in use. Such equipment, when damaged, can operate less efficiently, dramatically increasing exhaust pollution; and when destroyed, can require the owner to replace with a new piece of equipment, which puts more stress on Earth’s resources. Such discarded equipment puts further strain on our landfills. When used in vehicle engines, ethanol has been established by extensive testing by America’s vehicle manufacturers that half the cars tested were damaged by E15, partly because many exhaust catalytic converters were overheated by the ethanol’s extra oxygen. Furthermore, in 2008 when I was running for the state legislature, a WA Dept of Ecology official personally told me that any more than 2% ethanol in the fuel supply and Seattle exceeds the EPA Ozone Attainment Levels. The American Heart Association has publicly declared that ethanol in the fuel will greatly increase the deaths by respiratory illness.
This is what happens when the judicial branch uses emotion, not science, to placate a constituency.
What do I do? I grow timber, a resource that thrives with increased carbon dioxide.

Kids save the dearest things

Great post Randy,

Super important information. Unfortunately, nobody much gets this far down the page at CD. Could you repost this on the next new climate story? With the waterfall of stories at CD only the new top left-to-right ones get any viewing!

Thanks!

TJ