Home | About | Donate

In Canada, Real Threat to National Security Is Environmentalists, Not Climate Change

In Canada, Real Threat to National Security Is Environmentalists, Not Climate Change

Andrea Germanos, staff writer

Canadian environmental organizations could pose a potential threat to national security and are attempting to make the fossil fuel industry look bad.

Such was the assessment of what the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) referred to as the "anti-petroleum movement" in a document dated Jan. 24, 2014, and titled Critical Infrastructure Intelligence Assessment.

Why? oh Why would that be?

"Canadian environmental organizations could pose a potential threat to national security and are attempting to make the fossil fuel industry look bad."

Compared to what? The train derailments resulting in spills, fires, and toxic pollution of land, water and air?
Or maybe that abomination called the Keystone XL pipeline?
If you think a moving train of tanker cars is a hazardous danger, (which we have seen over and over again that it is!), imagine what a static pipeline stretching for over a thousand miles over some of the best prairie farmland in the world is.
A pipeline that is sucking out already scarce water from the aquifer to propel the slurry of some of the nastiest and most toxic sludge known to humanity across national borders and into refineries where it will have to be refined at far greater cost than other petroleum and in the process destroy the Boreal forest and its ecology which in Canada comprises nearly 1/3 of all such formations on planet earth.

This reckless development by the petroleum industry is the greater national security threat than the protests of those opposed to such. None of this justifies acts of vandalism or violence, but neither does it justify such toxic pollution and environmental degradation as is being pursued by the oil industry in the name of profit$ or the siccing of security services on those seeking to exercise their rights of citizenship.

Since Canada is part of the North Atlantic triumverate.......along with the UK, it shows how influential corporate $$ have altered the formerly somewhat Democratic nations into a Fascist folly of damning the good people.....in favor of corruption and lies.

I hear this crap about the environmentalists viewed as the enemy of jobs but when I challenge those brain dead fox news parrots they seem to hear but after a while repeat the same bullshit. These are the people who's only source of information is the faux social engineering propaganda machine. Wonder why so many media are controlled by the elite billionaire class?
The people in the law enforcement have very limited education and brain capacity for learning besides they are pretty well taken care of by design their sole aim in life is the protection of the capital.
I think that the environmental movement has to take the lead in massive public education campaigns to set the records straight. We are facing a very dangerous mind manipulation snake oil salesmen perfected over the decades and spending big money hiring slick advertising agencies and crooked law firms.

Unattended tar sands oil train rolls into Canadian town and crashes. Town burned to the ground 49 dead but the guy protesting against use of this oil is the terrorist. WTF?

We're all Snidely Whiplash now

Maslow said it: If the only tool you have is a hammer, everything starts to look like a nail.

Radical saviors of the world are not the enemy. The greedy companies who want to stop the development of better alternatives to fossil fuels are the enemy..We are apposed to companies that would trash the environment to increase their profits. We are sick of being called the bad guys by the real bad guys.

Yeah, what you said.!

The only thing wrong with the world is the domination of societies by predatory, capitalist, conservative hedonists. Governments, particularly those boasting about democracy, have managed to create a system of governance that guarantees you can't go from your door to the grocery store without violating some chicken-shit law that could land you in jail. In fact, today, you can be assaulted or murdered by police for no reason at all. You can be guaranteed a Torquemada wannabe prosecutor will be eager to take the police version of events and add another notch to his legacy as he/she lies, cheats and steals his/her way to bury you in some dungeon. And the irony of your fabricated criminal activity will be verified by 12 jurors who are too ignorant to understand that they have a duty to exonerate fellow citizens charged with chicken-shit crimes.

Oh, let me count the ways using my fingers, my toes, hemmm leme see my friends fingers and toes, and his friend's and his friend's and on and on....

More and more I'm thinking that cops everywhere need to be put on a very different footing to their current us-vs-them authoritarianism. Require more intelligence, better education, an orientation to problem-solving and peacekeeping rather than law enforcement and shooting people (I include non-humans). They need to live where they patrol, and know everyone in their catchment areas. Maybe they need to be part-timers, on a rota - just members of the community taking turns.

I like what you're saying, although I think Uncle Sam as you put it is beginning to see the cancer draining some of his mighty powers. Russia is playing the game masterfully and winning it in Ukraine. Uncle Sam seems to finally think that in a nuclear exchange there are no winners.

the fight is against the wealthy who want to maintain the status quo so human nature being what it is they will use all the weapons possible, and at their disposal (the police, the army, the politicians,the media, the banks and most of all your trackable phones). we the people want to breathe, have healthy food, good water, no vaccines (if they choose) and certainly want the freedom to have these necessities. sooo get off the grid and learn to live,and fight those powers in a way they least expect. learn to encrypt your messages and keep it simple. north america is at war to survive and apparently many people are beginning to realize it. this is good!!

When they say real threat to national security. Translation: what they are really saying is environmentalists against the tar sands filthy oil cartels are a real threat to the economic elites, financial security!

"The use of social media, including the use of live-streaming, provides the anti-petroleum movement the ability to by-pass the traditional news networks, to control and craft its message, and to promote a one-sided version of the actual events, leading to broadly based anti-petroleum opposition."

And who controls the traditional news networks? They are anything but fair or balanced. Control of the internet is the battle raging. And it is not looking too good for our side considering the most recent revelations of NSA devious workings.

This sounds like a much older feud between Canadian Anglophones and Francophones that often distills to Albertans v. the rest of Canada. It is played out in virtually every policy corner of national import to Canada-particularly when it involves who pays how much tax. Many Albertans refer to their province as the Texas of the north for its oil and cattle. The Calgary Stampede is world renown. Albertans as a whole are relatively well off and tend toward austerity. Culturally, they are definitely of a different mindset than the rest of Canada--particularly in Montreal and the east. Alberta has a high fundamental Christian population while eastern Canada is multicultural. The police always side with the money of course. Alberta is where the money is because that is where the oil (and other Canadian 3rd world extraction corporations) are.

Just my observations after teaching at a university in Alberta a little while (before they fired me for "wearing the wrong clothes" and "teaching my students too much.")

They now have the power to monitor you 24/7 regardless of where you are. I think we have to amend this idea to include the fact that we don't even need to leave our houses to have violated some CS laws. Even kids download.

ENEMIES OF PROFITS ARE ENEMIES OF THE STATE!

You may have heard talk of climate change and the supposed evils of fossil fuels. It's treason.

DINOSAURS DIED SO YOU WOULDN'T HAVE TO WALK TO WORK!

Are you going to let their sacrifice be in vain?

If you hear talk by 'ENVIRONMENTALISTS' hellbent on destroying our economy, don't just speak out -

KICK ASS, TAKE NAMES AND REPORT THOSE NAMES TO THE PROPER OFFICIALS.

We don't have to stand by and let extremists destroy our way of life. If you see one of these traitors driving around in one of their little electric kiddie cars

RUN 'EM DOWN.

If they tell you global warming will change life on Earth tell 'em

IT'S MY PLANET AND I'LL FRY IF I WANT TO!!!

Okay, that may be a little over the top. Tell them

IT WASN'T LONG AGO THAT 'SCIENTISTS' WERE WORRIED ABOUT THE COMING ICE AGE. WHO KNOWS WHAT THEY'LL BE SAYING IN A DECADE OR SO? ARE WE GOING TO LET 'SCIENTIFIC' FADS MAKE US GIVE UP OUR CARS AND TRUCKS?

Of course not.

JUST SAY NO TO ENVIRONMENTAL EXTREMISM!

AND REPORT THOSE SOBS!