Home | About | Donate

in:cGreen New Deal or the Blood Red Apocalypse. Your Choice': Dems Urged to Embrace Bold Climate Action as West Burnshats

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2020/09/10/incgreen-new-deal-or-blood-red-apocalypse-your-choice-dems-urged-embrace-bold

1 Like

“There’s reasons why I can’t, because there’s no way to pay for it. I don’t agree with what the resolution says. That’s part of it,” Democratic Senator Diane Feinstein on the Green New Deal, February 22, 2019.

Diane you are a climate whore! There is no way to pay for the Green New Deal? Make that, there is no way I want to pay for the GREEN NEW DEAL!

8 Likes

Fire and brimstone shall reign down on the White House, the Congress Capital, K street, Wall Street. And out of the ashes the Phoenix will rise.

“Put on your war paint

You are a brick tied to me that’s dragging me down
Strike a match and I’ll burn you to the ground
We are the jack-o-lanterns in July
Setting fire to the sky
Here, here comes this rising tide so come on

Put on your war paint

Cross walks and crossed hearts and hope to die
Seal the clouds with grey lining

So we can take the world back from the heart-attacked
One maniac at a time we will take it back
You know time crawls on when you’re waiting for the song to start
So dance along to the beat of your heart

Hey Youngblood doesn’t it feel like our time is running out
I’m going to change you like a remix
Then I’ll raise you like a phoenix
Wearing all vintage misery
No I think it looked a little better on me

Bring home the boys in scraps
Scrap metal the tanks
Get hitched make a career out of robbing banks
Because the world is just a teller and we are wearing black
She broke our spirits with no impact

So we can take the world back from the heart-attacked
One maniac at a time we will take it back
You know time crawls on when you’re waiting for the song to start
So dance along to the beat of your heart

Hey Youngblood doesn’t it feel like our time is running out
Wearing all vintage misery
No I think it looked a little better on me

Put on your war paint …”

The Phoenix
by Fall Out Boy

Watch the song video on You Tube. It is inspiring.

4 Likes

I did - shocking - can you explain ?

It’s delusional to think that there CAN be a Green New Deal! We live in an oligarchy, and the oligarchs will not ALLOW it to occur. Thus, we’re DOOMED, and will likely soon join the 1,000,000 OTHER species likely to go extinct soon!

2 Likes

Maybe you watched the wrong video. Not the horrific one of the women torturing the guys. Which I noted afterwards. Ugh!

Watch the more motivating one done 3 yrs ago by Kerry Paulazzo with kinetic typography lyrics. Good beat.

Hope you are well.

Word on the street is that in the upcoming Speech from the Throne here in Canada the Trudeau administration will announce a significant “Going Green” policy initiative. This speech will be delivered on the 23rd.

I think one of the reasons the past Finance minister resigned is that he was not onboard with all of the extra spending that this would entail. While I remain skeptical I will see just exactly what the Liberals envision as a way to start with a new Green Deal. Again the Liberals see the votes the NDP and Green party acquiring each election as cutting into their chances of getting a majority Government so they intend to try and adopt the ideas that are resonating with a significant number of the population.

While a speech from the throne does not necessarily mean the initiatives they announce will be implemented , it does give some insight as to how seriously they are taking this.

They have to go big.

5 Likes

Yea - that’s the one I watched -

We three are off on another canoe of the local reservoir - skies clear, all quadrants, warm, little wind.

But all is definitely not well.

The World Wildlife Fund for Nature is reporting a 68% decline in wildlife since 1970. Viewed as a graph over the Holocene - that would like like the curve just fell off a cliff - it would look like a mass extinction.

Meanwhile we are busy wearing masks every day - watching California go up in smoke - and are witness to the charade called politics.

I think there is very strong rope attached to that plummeting wildlife mass going down off that cliff - and it is attached solidly to our ankles.

3 Likes

We have two daughters working in California in hospitals as nurses. One in Marin and the other near San Diego.
The reports are not encouraging.
I read a report the other day about multiple one hundred foot deep holes caused by explosions in the melting permafrost in Siberia. Frightening. The structures there all sinking into the earth. Being swallowed.
I feel we are way past many tipping points.

5 Likes

Nancy Pelosi only cares if her Beauty Parlor was impacted by the Fires.

It is as though the State of California was Napalmed by some insane enemy.

If this devastating Fire Storm was an attack by Human Enemies the country would rally to retaliate.

However, since this Destruction was caused by Nature and the cataclysmic abuse Humans are having on the Planet we seem to think there is no Urgency to rectify this problem.

Pelosi and her ilk are apparently Blind to the Fact that the Human Population and our glutinous behavior, like allowing massive pollution caused by the Factory Farming of Livestock and our total surrender to the Fossil Fuel Industry, which is contributing to the Fire Storms in CA and the the destructive Hurricanes and Tornadoes that are soon to follow.

Senator Markey hopes that this is not the new Norm. Not to worry Senator we will soon hope that this was the Norm when we see that Nature is just beginning to fight back and recover what we Humans have been thoughtlessly Destroying.

Time to treat Mother Nature Respectfully before the entire Planet becomes a Wasteland.

5 Likes

Bring the troops home from the Israeli wars DF, that will pay for it.

3 Likes

I would think not - not yet - confidence 2/3. At 2 deg C rise in global - real danger.

But our ‘economies’ are going to founder. Nobody understands them - everything is ‘ad hoc’.

Which brings me to two thoughts.

1. Reading “My Share of the Task”, by four star Stanley McChrystal (2013). I have multiple books and insights into our ‘War on Terror’, and it is fashionable to diss the military. I disagree with that.

ca 2001, after 9/11

"Each deployment order we received [in support of Operation Enduring Freedom] required reshaping the units and reducing their normal combat power. Although I recognized the necessity of tailoring forces and limiting the U.S. footprint. our operations felt dangerously ad hoc. The failure to trap Bin Laden in Tora Bora in December and the messy Operation Anaconda fight in the Shah-i-Kot Valley in early March 2002 seemed to validate this concern… (p.75, paperback ed)

[Afghanistan] “I felt like we were high-school students who had wandered into a mafia-owned bar, dangerously unaware of the tensions that filled the room and the authorities who controlled it.” (p. 77)

==================

It is my opinion that this descent towards hell on Earth began with the take out of JFK.

Well - here we are - and the powers that be are literally laughing at us as they appoint their pathetic surrogates to positions of facade power.

That’s the immediate threat.

But the destruction of the natural world is the ultimate threat.

1. I seem to have forgotten that second thought.
3 Likes

My first reaction to the headline on this piece, the part that ends with ‘… Your Choice.’, was to take exception, and say it isn’t, because Mother Earth is our home, for us and all the other life forms being impacted by climate change. It’s not the choice of the criminal government class. It’s the choice of mankind, as stewards of this miraculous speck in the Universe.

But, before I could compose such a rejection in words it occurred to me that it is their choice. The gatekeepers, the controllers of the purse strings of federal spending, allocating for what they decide are priorities. And we all know what those are, because they make it so very, very clear.

Another day here in Oregon with a yellow sky, like living in some apocalyptic movie set, except the smell of smoke and the layers of ash everywhere make it more than abundantly real.

5 Likes

Back in 2004, even neo-liberal John Kerry understood the need for a Green New Deal. That the D’s have gone so far backwards over the past 16 years speaks volumes. The Green shift was the one part of Kerry’s platform that I liked. Other than that, he was the standard LOTE neo-liberal that has brought us to this current low standard.,

2 Likes

Beautiful parts of the world.

OK - thought 2 was this:

~https://thegrayzone.com/2020/09/07/green-billionaires-planet-of-the-humans/

This is vindication. I think personally “Planet of the Humans” is the single best documentary on the state of the planet. I was sad but not surprised to see Naomi Klein included in the link above as being supported by those same billionaires and corporations who will welcome a Green New Deal in its present configuration.

As for California - “Cadillac Desert” was given to me by a retired Marine Master Sergeant in the desert campsite just north of Joshua Tree National Park back in the year 2000 or thereabouts.

For all its beauty, California is leveraged to the hilt to water from unsustainable sources. And it is largely ‘a desert place’. If the models are even halfway correct - this will only intensify as a desert habitat in the near future.

4 Likes

No, we need to stop letting corporations of all kinds, use the taxpayer as their personal piggy bank.

Money for people, healthcare, to get us out of the WTO and end the trade deals, that steal our natural resources, and US jobs, not for the extractive model of transnational corporations to line their pockets.

4 Likes

I wish we had a NDP here in the USA. When I lived in Quebec, I became of fan of NDP and Bloc /Parti Quebecois. Truly wishing I had made Quebec my permanent home at this time…it was impossible due to certain circumstances in 2006 when I had the opportunity to move permanently to Quebec … Also, I remember the election in Canada that put Stephen Harper into power. Many held their nose and voted for him despite not liking him because they wanted to punish the Liberals. Harper did a LOT of damage in those years. For US Americans - the Liberal Party in Canada is much like the DNC here (i.e. neo-liberal). The left party is NDP and the Bloc/Parti Quebecois. Have to admit I am a supporter of potential Quebec separation…if you know Canadian history, much of it has to do with Quebec’s traditional pacifist stance. They did NOT want to enter WWI or WWII. The option to separate would likely “kick in” should the rest of Canada decide to go to war. Quebec is very pacifist and I love that about Quebec! If I could choose anywhere to live in the world at the moment, it would be Quebec even though I am mostly an Anglophone and lived in an Anglophone pocket of Quebec. Most wonderful place I have ever lived in <3

2 Likes

Quebec could be a new Switzerland where people could escape the strife all around them.

But not the radiation, unfortunately. For that people would need to go to New Zealand or similar.

3 Likes

The military budget to protect the Amerikan, Empire and to murder people that are adverse to US vested interests is sacrosanct; the Green New Deal budget to save millions of lives from the coming climate apocalypse is not affordable.

3 Likes

If you check the radiation maps, there is a safe area in the NE Kingdom of Vermont and the parts of Quebec bordering this part of the USA…