Home | About | Donate

In 'Clear Violation of Domestic and International Law,' Trump Bombs Syria

Plainly, what you Greenwich believe happened during the latter part of and following WWII, and what I believe happened, same period, differ markedly. Enough that one of us, perhaps both, must believe it wrong.

I don’t see value in arguing over that history here and at this time. I simply want to note that you believe that several high ideals of that period should be enforced on the USAmerica, even if they were never adopted in a treaty following the war. Such as

• No nation (meaning the USA) shall attack its own populace.
  • No nation shall attack (meaning the USA and Western nations) shall attack another nation without getting Security Council approval.
  • No nation shall possess or use poison gas.
  • No nation shall torture anyone.
  • Every nation (particularly the USA) shall get rid of nuclear weapons.
  • Racism is evil, and USA must mend its errors.
  • Every nation (particularly the USA) must provide healthcare for all its citizens (Universal Declaration of Human Rights)
  • Every nation (particularly the USA) must protect the right of workers to form unions to demand better conditions.
  • No nation shall possess landmines.
  • And more, etc. etc. etc.

Progressives are sharp on demanding that the USA live up to those high standards. They seem blind to anyone else violating them. (Perhaps for Chomsky reasons that the don’t want the USA doing anything militarily to other nations that do violate them…)

Presidents bomb nations in the “Defense” of the US.

Ultra-partisans picking and choosing what is “illegal” is sadly believed by some.

“most corrupt” - You crack me up

Have to agree –

At time of Cuban Missile Crisis you can read that JFK and Khrushchev were both
mindful that that seeking peaceful solution could move their military leaders to a
military coup.

And that’s only the first layer of resistance, I imagine?

1 Like

Smile. I won’t speak whether they were mindful of it during the crisis. I will remark that Khrushchev was ousted by dissident members of the Communist party in 1964, in part because of foreign policy ‘failures’ like the Cuban missile crisis.
– & not the first time it had been attempted against Khrushchev…

As for Kennedy, I expect that many here believe and will continue to believe that Kennedy was killed by someone(s) in our own government, despite a high pile of evidence that Kennedy was shot killed by a pro-Cuban loner who saw an opportunity right in front of him and took it.

a2 –

There were 3 very strong movers for peace at the time – JFK, Khrushchev and Pope John XXIII.
They were ALL gone very quickly - disappeared and/or otherwise eliminated.

As for Kennedy, I expect that many here believe and will continue to believe that Kennedy was killed by someone(s) in our own government, despite a high pile of evidence that Kennedy was shot killed by a pro-Cuban loner who saw an opportunity right in front of him and took it.

There is NO evidence that JFK was killed by Oswald or any other mysterious “pro-Cuban loner.”
Rather “Oswald was working for the CIA on high level assignments and probably also for the FBI.”
E. Howard Hunt in deathbed confessions also makes clear that it was a government coup led by
LBJ - and quite logically it couldn’t have been carried out without total control by the next president.
Since then, the right wing/CIA has had control of our government. The cover up continues on still.

1 Like

Well, I agree about the increased homelessness and wage squeeze etc, that’s mainly the product of a decade of Tory Austerity, cunning neo-liberal bullshit to dismantle the welfare state (I’m sure you know the script) that was doing okay until they were elected. Yet that same phenomena is happening all across the industrialised West, including the US, though less so in the European social democracies like Norway and Denmark. Yet at least the homeless get something they won’t get in the US, free health care, which can be quite vital, at least for the present until the post-brexit neo lib deregulation fest begins and the NHS gets privatised and ripped apart. But all that apart, that’s a separate issue, I thought your point was specifically about corruption as is the ‘plausible’ table I linked to?

This table is researched by an independent, pan-national body, but if you think it’s just ‘propaganda’ well there’s nothing I can say to that except repeat the sarcasm at the end of my last post.

Also, I’ve lived in the UK for over 40 years and never once seen a single article anywhere stating that the UK had a higher standard of living than the US or even anyone so would be curious where you saw all these articles, more usually, British people being self-depreciating, you will find tons of articles saying it’s worse than just about everywhere else in the world. There are lying articles espousing the benefit of neo-lib policies in the right wing (inc Murdoch) press, that may talk up and distort standard of living info, as happens in the US and every country, to sell the bullshit to the masses, but never seen one comparing themselves to the US or other places.

I wanted to say something about the smart bombs when we were in the period before the recent bombing of Syria. Initially Trump said 48 hours and smart bombs. Then 48 hours was up and he said maybe soon or not so soon. - It was at that point I wanted to say, oh look they are smart missiles… they have not killed anyone prematurely without evidence. Smart. I guess I knew it was only a matter of time though.

1 Like

Thirty years before the WTO protest we would go to a Seattle rock concert quite often. At that time it was anti-war protests. After the concert was over many concert goers joined the protesters. Army soldiers from Ft. Lewis were practicing riot control, with bayonets, as part of their regular routine. G

seems like the mafia may have wanted him dead also … trafficante and Giancana

allen1 –

Re coup on JFK which took not only our president but our people’s government –
Basically they were not going to have another FDR rise –

Don’t think that RFK ever made it clear in his challenge to the Mafia, but organized
crime can only exist with the consent of Elites. Elites require criminal minds aiding
them - CIA worked with the Mafia. Going back to 1943 (!) you find CIA careating
Operation Gladio – a program to keep right wing candidates and government in power
in states over which the US had influence and control at the end of WWI – i.e., Italy,
France, Germany, Japan. The US actually resurrected the Mafia in Italy in order to
ensure that the plan would be carried out efficiently there. Immediately, the CIA began
to run drugs and guns in Italy – money laundered by Vatican – and money used by CIA
to create “insurrections” to be blamed on Italian government.
Also – recall that our former enemies (Japan and Germany) quickly became economic
world powers.
(Greece and UK should probably also be added to that list.)

Mafia works for Elites and their intelligence organizations, when needed.
Not so different from what Brig. Gen. Smedley Darlington Butler told us in “War Is A Racket!”
of his travels across the world to protect Elites/Capitalism and their investments.

Elites/Mafia were upset with the revolution in Cuba.

I use the slash (/) because often it’s difficult to tell the difference between Elites and Mafia.