Home | About | Donate

"In Culture, We Build Bridges, Not Walls": World-Renowned Cellist Yo-Yo Ma Brings Bach to US-Mexico Border

"In Culture, We Build Bridges, Not Walls": World-Renowned Cellist Yo-Yo Ma Brings Bach to US-Mexico Border

Andrea Germanos, staff writer

In a rebuke to the Trump administration's cruel immigration policies and rhetoric, world-renowned cellist Yo-Yo Ma gave a performance at the U.S.-Mexico border on Saturday, where he praised culture's ability to "build bridges, not walls."

With the international bridge connecting the two countries visible behind him, the audience in Laredo, Texas heard the musician play an excerpt of Johann Sebastian Bach's cello suites. An audience in the sister city of Nuevo Laredo was treated to a performance as well shortly after.

3 Likes

Ha! Was just listening to Yo-Yo Ma this morning while working on an upcoming book cover which features the Statue of Liberty on the ropes. Music, indeed, is the healing medicine that crosses all seeming divisions. We are One!

My favorite rendition of Dylan’s song, All Along The Watch Tower

5 Likes

Yo-Yo Ma should not be attaching Bach’s name to this project. We have no idea what Bach would think of a globalist initiative. Like many modern-day nationalists, he might well consider globalism a threat to Western civilization.

0 Likes

Thanx G. And had that been the israeli/palestinian border they probably would have been shot.

2 Likes

I would think a lot more people might be interested in 

Yo-Yo Ma’s Bach cello suites for culture, that celebrates our
common humanity rather than walls that keep us divided;
if CD staff reminded us also of Israel’s walls.
While Trump would have America be his hotel, Netanyahu
and all Israeli governments have smothered Palestinians by
occupying their land and make the people of Gaza wretched and
all Arabs there “yearning to breathe free.”

1 Like

Love trumps hate every time! Outside in the cold distance a wildcat did growl, two riders were approaching and the wind began to howl! Vote for Bernie Sanders for President in 2020! We will see the light with 2020 vision as we support Bernie Sanders for President in 2020! Peace

0 Likes

He is my kind of guy, everything that Trump and his lackeys are not.

0 Likes

Look for Yo Yo Ma to be added to the terrorist watch “no-fly” list.
Just like Cat Stevens was added after he created the song “Peace Train” (and incidentally became a Muslim).

1 Like

By the same token, what Bach introduced into music goes far beyond Bach as the individual. I take part of the message as being an example of taking a genre and establishing the definitive versions through ingenious application of other disciplines.

From where I sit, the entire world familiar with the music of Bach would understand a breadth of message that was leveraged by the composer. And indeed, changing the world by so doing.

Deconstructing the genius of Bach

0 Likes