Home | About | Donate

In Display of 'Actual Sociopathy,' Trump Reportedly Asked CIA Why Drone Didn't Also Kill Target's Family

You mean the FDR that backed down on including healthcare in the Social Security package? Who utterly and completely caved after advocating for it in the face of healthcare industry—remember, he negotiated provisions of the bill with insurers specifically—opposition? The one that asked Perkins in 1934 to design a national program then ditched it in favor of minuscule grants-in-aid to states? That FDR?

Look, I absolutely 100% agree with you on the broader point, that there is too much corporate and wealthy private interest intrusion in the political sphere. I 100% agree that the ACA was not as good as it could have been, that it has real problems (not all having to do with the law itself, but its opposition), and a national system is preferable. I’ve detailed some of the problems here with the law myself. I also think we need more anti-trust enforcement, a lower age limit on Social Security, paid family leave, more infrastructure investment, and stronger progressive taxation too. And I also think the deregulatory craze of the 80s and 90s has not served the country well, but I also know under Obama significant re-regulation happened, which I personally don’t think the Left gives him enough credit for.

Last, I also agree with you that some Democrats, typically reflecting conservative constituencies, have been a barrier to more progressive legislation. As I’ve pointed out, such was the case in FDR’s time too, especially after 1938. I vociferously oppose the Senate’s bank bill and the idiotic show-everyone-we-can-be-bipartisan excuse for its passage. Utter crap, all the way. I would like to see them all primaried, just like what is happening to Cuomo in New York.

I know it how it is to spread yourself too thin. Burnout is inevitable and debilitating. My focus used to be mainly foreign policy, I think I was blind for a long time to how bad things were here until they started getting even worse. It’s frustrating and sad, especially when you realize that most people don’t want to know any of it so they won’t have to do anything about it.

I respectfully disagree I think third-party can win but we’re going to have to rise up like the teachers have first. No change will come from above. It will come when they fear us enough to do what they’ve done in the past regardless of party affiliation. They don’t want us to decide that they are completely unmoved by worker strikes and demonstrations. That is how labor unions were won, and some of the ones who fought for those labor unions and other worker rights were wealthy themselves. A few of our current crop of billionaires See the America that is coming if the greed goes unchecked. Maybe there is some hope there? Maybe I’m just grasping for any hope at all.

Thanks! Good response.

I’m amazed and shocked to see all the people around me who live in individual or nuclear-family bubbles. They just don’t seem to “get” any of it. A couple see the danger but have told me they think the path downward, for both the US and the world, is inevitable and that nothing we can do will change that, so why try.

Aarrrghhh…

The comments about fear and “false flag fear” are important. Since the fear mongering of recent past, starting with the Bush-Cheney fear scam, the right-wing nuts have seen how effective it is and continue to use it. Most recently with the Syria-ISIS-Russia scare. This FEAR program is second to none going back to the domino days of Vietnam.
What is most scary to me is that there are already a lot of people protesting, and it is not near enough to create major change.
The potential “Blue Wave” is the next best thing. G

It took many deaths and a lot of blood for unions to achieve what they did. And in the end they got crushed. The teachers’ union is one of the last to survive and they have been under attack. State governments pension plans are failing and when they do, the teachers will be busted.

Why do you think they are privatizing schools, it is to destroy the unions. And they will use the failing public schools (which they destroyed) to bust the teachers in the end.

All movements end, we’ll see how long the the teachers can sustain their gains.

Correct. Try and probably die. Or give up and definitely die. That is the choice. Long odds are hard to squarely face, but better than bowing our heads and admitting there is no hope at all.

My hat is off to those that fight against long odds. I did that where I worked. I was a rebel against the system. My last review was about that fight. My supervisor who knew me for the entire time I worked there wrote two paragraphs about me.
The 1st stated that I was the most stubborn person who ever worked there and in spite of every effort to change me, they failed and I did things my way. She was wordier than that, but that was the gist.
The 2nd stated that I had been the best patient advocate that the nursing home had, that I fought relentlessly for them.
I was very proud of the 1st paragraph, I was never broken. And I would never had been the advocate if they had. But the sad truth is that while they couldn’t change me, I couldn’t change the system. It was still the same when I left. Thus my lack of optimism. The few almost never win in the long run.