Home | About | Donate

In Effort to Gut Agency He Runs, Mulvaney Asks Congress to Roll Back CFPB Independence

In Effort to Gut Agency He Runs, Mulvaney Asks Congress to Roll Back CFPB Independence

Jake Johnson, staff writer

Further building on his tireless efforts to "defang" the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB) from the inside, White House Budget chief and acting CFPB head Mick Mulvaney asked Congress on Monday to pass several legislative changes that would dramatically diminish the agency's independence and roll back its ability to protect consumers from predatory financial firms.

3 Likes

If Mulvaney is successful, and he probably will be with our best Congress money can buy. There’s no reason to keep this agency, shut it down, send Mick the &ick packing, and we can retry after this congress is replaced. If not the agency, that was born to help consumers will be used to hurt them.

1 Like

“This is what happens when you put someone actively hostile to an agency’s mission in charge of that agency.”
—Public Citizen

This is what happens when laws are made by conservative and neoliberal politicians and their oligarchy paymasters.

Electronic Direct Democracy

5 Likes

As we know, Donald’s “Cabinet” appointees have been tasked with greatly diminishing, if not entirely neutering, their respective agencies. Rexxon had great success at the State Dept., and uber-corrupt Mulvaney is lookin’ good on that score, too.
Way to go, Congress; just keep sitting back on your well-upholstered derrieres and consciously selling us our country down the river.

Author sez: "Mulvaney argued that the bureau he leads is ‘too powerful’ …

Yeah. Nobody in D.C wants to head up an agency with too much power.

Translated from the neocon: “Despite my best efforts, the bureau retains a vestige of benefit for a slim segment of consumers.”

3 Likes

It needs more than disembowling, it needs to be gone. This agency is unConstitutional and lacks checks and balances.

What a modern way to implement mob rule.

1 Like

The frustration, despair, depression, fury, and contempt do just keep increasing FF, but we must try to continue to fight the power. Here on CD we are mostly it seems talking to ourselves; the usual suspects preaching to the choir, with some ugly notes, but maybe some others are out there listening; maybe some have their beliefs challenged and hopefully change - maybe even due to words they read.

Beside the voices here there are a whole lot of people of moral conscience and courage out in the streets from many diverse groups feeling and trying to effect change - sure not enough (they need us) and still mostly it seems within the corrupt vulture capitalist corporate con-game, but…this is not the time to truly despair - the rotten scum will hang themselves and millions more are feeling the same increasing fury and rage at the whole rotten system and its POS agents, mulvaney, DeVos, zinke, that pruitt scum, the others and their despicable figurehead nutter, trump “the mental”.

If only we had a real, independent people’s opposition party with real progressive/radical leaders to rally around…instead of complicit co-conspirators…and that’s infuriating too…there ain’t no justice, just us! Keep the faith Roberto!

3 Likes

He and his theocratic one percenter ilk are pushing for the rapture.

Hear you. Most folks are blase’ with dictator-loving Herr Drumpf in charge.

1 Like

It lacks checks and balances for whom? For you hater of animals

It’s Senator Elizabeth Warren. from MA

This is what corporate-fascism is all about – doubt this is a surprise to anyone.

Putting the people’s government and democracy out of business in America.

3 Likes

That is a good definition.

The modern way to implement democracy and prevent mob rule by elites.

1 Like

I know how you feel… right there with you…

Why, pray tell, does this agency need to be gone? How is it ‘unconstitutional’?

1 Like

Thank you FF, Roberto - for your words to me and us all at CD. I too miss the '60’s and that passion - the mass actions against the Vietnam War in DC, Civil Rights Movement and Dr Kings words, when we filled the streets with our passion and commitment! I am a few years older than you, the last of the so-called “Silent Generation” who became very vocal and active along with the “Boomers” - damn how things have changed! I do see sparks of change and unity that seem to be growing, and more people realizing our nation and future has been stolen by parasites, greed and predatory self-interest, low-life scum who prey on the 99% - with subverted government protecting and serving those parasites that care about nothing but wealth and its trappings!

There are actions coming and solidarity between groups building again, from the youth of Parkland to the teachers in Oklahoma and other states; to anti-war, environmental activists/stewards, to the LGBT-civil rights community, and beyond - all we need, we must have, is unity - to support each others struggle that is really one! - the 2014 People’s Climate March in NYC was one such mass demo truly inspiring; people sidewalk to sidewalk farther than the eye could see! Occupy another, smothered in its infancy!

The only positive thing this trump regime of parasites and thieves is doing is providing the stark contrast between truly despicable people with no wisdom, conscience, empathy, or moral compass; their utter lack of such qualities is unifying people that have; a “Silent Majority” once linked to the right, now an awakening of voices of conscience of all people who believe in justice, the Common Good - brothers & sisters who respect and support each other and Mother Earth - defending the things that make any nation truly “great” - an end to corporate/banker/wall street fascism, greed and ignorance above all else, an end to the for-profit war-machine diverting resources from civilian needs and priorities - to protect the innocent and most vulnerable.

“You might say I’m a dreamer”, but there is a spring action and I’m sure many others coming, and we can be there, with our passion!! Peace Brother! V.

https://www.springaction2018.org/

2 Likes

You’re welcome, and
thank you for posting.

1 Like

Oh boy! I can’t wait to start up my very own ponzi scheme! Anyone up for some stock manipulation with me? Let’s screw some grandmothers out of their retirements! Woo hoo! We’ll be rich!