Home | About | Donate

In Far-Reaching Plan, Washington Gov. Jay Inslee Proposes Radical Changes to Fossil Fuel Industry

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2019/06/24/far-reaching-plan-washington-gov-jay-inslee-proposes-radical-changes-fossil-fuel

3 Likes

Remarkably, Inslee’s so-called plan envisions no cessation of fossil fuel extraction, not anywhere. Sorry to be Mr Glum, but someone needs to point this out: virtually all the fossil fuel we extract will be burned. Whatever else we do, we’re only pretending to stop ecocidal abuse of Life on Earth so long as we allow the extraction of fossil fuels to continue. It’s probably not in the cards for fossil fuel extraction to be recognized as a Crime Against Humanity (and everything else), and prosecuted accordingly. Because we cannot imagine charging extractors with ecocide, we will all fry.

5 Likes

“Don’t expect these people to go easily.” Washington Gov. Jay Inslee.

That quote says it all! We need millions to back Jay because he is fighting our fight about climate emergency. Of course the fossil fuels greedy S.O.B.s will do everything in their power to marginalize and demonize Jay and will make sure he never gets near the White House!

4 Likes

Inslee does envision no new leases on public lands and offshore, and blocking fossil fuel infrastructure. That has to be recognized as substantive. My basic disagreement with people like Inslee who want to reform the fossil fuel industry is that word “reform.” If “reform” can cover shutting-down, destroying, criminalizing the fossil fuel industry, than I’m onboard. It’s no longer just time to slow down the ecocide. It has to stop.

3 Likes

The only real hope we have to save us and our planet is for the fossil fuel companies to be nationalized so that they can be quickly shut down at the same time that clean alternative energy is being quickly ramped up through governmental action like funding solar panels. The government will have to impose conservation. Attention will have to be paid so that the average or poor person does not bear the brunt of the many changes that will have to be implemented in our society and economy.

1 Like

The fossil fools industries are far worse than war criminals. Their crime is against life itself. There is no punishment harsh enough for committing such a crime. Their lust for money and power is an existential to all life on earth.

4 Likes

For the oil people it’s all about money. If Inslee can price the fossil fuel industry out of their cheap energy shell, renewables can be switched to. They will comply when renewables are the cheapest way to make a profit.

Bonus. We would no longer have to deal with oil interest polluters,

2 Likes

When Bernie is President, maybe he should make Inslee head of EPA?

5 Likes

Good call. But in my view Biden has already been selected for POTUS in 2020 as the most electable democrat, everything else is just a dog and pony show for gullible Americans, but I would love to be proven wrong! The DNC will probably put Warren on the Biden ticket as V.P.

1 Like

Jay Inslee for next Sec of the EPA!

1 Like

It aint over till it’s over

1 Like

Biden and Warren “already selected.”

Sad to say, that’s the way it looks, now.
“Gullible Americans” are ultimately the biggest problem.

But, to give folks a small break, how are people supposed to overcome the power and influence of the DNC and the corporate media? We are just too well propagandized for democracy to work.

Well, we could stop paying them to do it.

We need some sort of guaranteed income to reduce the demand for job creation.

Yes, I agree.

I can’t see the people who have selected Biden to also agree to have Warren on the ticket.

1 Like

For the umpteenth time, the only thing that’ll forestall fossil fuel extraction and burning are catastrophic climactic events. Dead bodies, lots of them. Meanwhile, lots of damage already done, the damage continues, abandon hope because there’s still a fortune to be made in fossil fuels.

His plan does remove all of the tax subsidies that go for drilling which will greatly reduce fossil fuel extraction. As @gandolf notes, as soon as more money can be made with renewables, there won’t be any oil industry to worry about.

3 Likes

…and if Warren is under Biden kiss all of her ‘progressive’ talk good bye and right it off as BS chumming the waters !

1 Like

I have been against the corporate welfare that is the subsidies for oil exploration and drilling since roughly forever. But they’re a drop in the bucket compared to the profits drillers reap from exploring and drilling. In other words, ending those subsidies will absolutely not stop exploration and drilling.

1 Like