Home | About | Donate

In 'Historic Vote,' Ohio City Residents Grant Lake Erie Legal Rights of a Person

In 'Historic Vote,' Ohio City Residents Grant Lake Erie Legal Rights of a Person

Julia Conley, staff writer

Tired of receiving notices warning that their drinking water may have been compromised and having little recourse to fight corporate polluters, voters in Toledo, Ohio on Tuesday approved a measure granting Lake Erie some of the same legal rights as a human being.

2 Likes

If Corporations are People…why not lakes, Air, Rivers, Animals, oh, and People.

11 Likes

A very big Bravo! Its about time that our planet - Gaia - and Her wild creatures were finally seen as having rights unto themselves. Hopefully this law and mindset will expand exponentially around the nation and world, and those laws used to reign-in the exploiters, thieves, and polluters…and that included to force strong - critical - end to the rule of the fossil-fuel conglomerate and shift to stopping MMGW and (attempting to ) saving our one and only Mother Earth!

11 Likes

Thank you Toledo!

Here I think of the City as an entity. Its head and mouth have engaged mind, imagination and other parts. Its feet must be tingling, because its prepping to ‘walk the walk’. No doubt it will encounter bugs or viruses, but hey, if its nutrition and alimentary balances are invigorated, it will encounter a blossoming of its immune system. In that process, no doubt brain stimulus resulting from the satisfaction of overcoming the glitch, will strengthen its capacity to not only walk the walk - but teach MANY many more to get up and dance!

Oh and hey, Toledo youŕe in really good company and lookin’ hot!

Hello Bolivia - be patient with us, some are on the way to catching up…

7 Likes

Come on…
People are not People.
Only Corporations are.

4 Likes

Lake Erie should be more than a person… maybe a goddess : )… Humans can create a lot of things—but has anyone ever created water yet?

9 Likes

I “made water” 10 mins ago :grin:
https://i.imgur.com/ieuAVvR.png

Holly Toledo. Is Gov. Kasich still head honcho?

It’s really the rights of millions of living things, including people.

4 Likes

Wonder how long it will take until some corporate lawyer hoping to steal or pollute the water goes “well if it is a person, why don’t we charge it with the murder of the people who drowned back in 1991” …

2 Likes

Go after these regulators and make them pay if they don’t want to do their job.

1 Like

There is a good little documentary " Water the Great Mystery" Worth watching.

1 Like

Reminds me of king Xerxes who whipped the sea and threw handcuffs in water after a storm destroyed his bridge.

1 Like
1 Like

Corporate charters must be revised.
Companies that knowingly pollute, destroy and sicken cannot be allowed to use bankruptcy to avoid paying damages. Taking personal assets from managers who enabled the deception would be a good starting point. Once the message is stated loud n’ clear - ‘corporate shenanigans will not pay’ - humans might act like the wonderful people we can be. Till then, humans will do anything they are paid to do.

2 Likes

Gandoft:
“Is Gov. Kasich still head honcho?”

In the 2010 Ohio gubernatorial election, Kasich defeated Democratic incumbent Ted Strickland. … In 2018, Kasich was term-limited and could not seek reelection to a third consecutive term as Governor of Ohio . In 2019, following his governorship, Kasich joined CNN as a Senior Political Commentator. He is "very seriously " considering a run for President in 2020.

It would have been faster and easier if the fish had just incorporated. (:-))

1 Like

We need to start using the CORPORATE DEATH PENALTY again.

but frankly, I wonder if even Bernie would have the guts for it.

1 Like

https://sketchedout.files.wordpress.com/2011/04/fish-bike-4504.jpg

Hi Phred_Pharkel: LOL that’s lovely that you “made water,” Phred. I’m NOT going to drink it though. : ) However , if we were stuck out in the desert and no water was available—I’d use my own : )