Home | About | Donate

In Honduras, USAID Was in Bed with Berta Cáceres’ Accused Killers

In Honduras, USAID Was in Bed with Berta Cáceres’ Accused Killers

Gloria Jimenez

Less than three months before Lenca leader Berta Cáceres was brutally assassinated, the social arm of Desarollos Energeticos SA (DESA)–the Honduran company leading the Agua Zarca dam project Cáceres was campaigning against–signed a contract with USAID implementing partner Fintrac, a Washington DC based development contracting firm.

7 Likes

Yet another disregard for life, and in this case, such a good, powerful force. Keep up the good fight, Berta, with the angels.

4 Likes

" No matter how cynical I get ( about our gov’ts behavior ) I just can’t keep up ( with their disgusting mercenary policies ). This is just another episode in a long history of how sick we are. And, it’s always about the money. Washington D. C. is a superfund site. The people who inhabit it are toxic. Too, too bad for the world’s 99s.

10 Likes

HRC 2016? Ouch, please, no.

2 Likes

Another example of the US following the Kissinger playbook ?

7 Likes

AMEN! Wish I could give your comment a thousand up-votes.

3 Likes

Atta boy tom,

You guys are letting some truth hang out there. It’s healthy for society and the world to allow some public dissent so one side (business) doesn’t become too powerful.

More precisely,

USAid = See (x) Aye. This is an identical repeat of “Confessions of an Economic Hitman” by John Perkins. If Main Corp can’t build the damn in Latin American, John said nasty people called the Jackals move in and suddenly important people’s airplanes start crashing on bright blue clear days.

Actually, Hydroelectric is critical in a place with so much water. This damn needs to be built so we don’t have 17 new coal power plants going in, like on my poor island. But the price is the destruction of the river people. Not a hard choice for the One Percent, but it really sucks if your tribe lives on that river.

I’ve seen displaced tribes when a volcano went off and hundreds of displaced people were suddenly living in my back yard every morning. NOT a comfortable picture, until you get used to naked bodies walking around your family all the time. I soon adapted, and put some of those great little pygmies to work clearing snakes and monitor lizards and dangerous wild pigs out of the jungle we lived next to. It was win-win for everybody. Honduras should do the same, and give new lakeside waterfront land to the the tribes they displace.

It’s a win-win. The environment wins with a clean hydro-electric plant instead of dozens of coal plants, and these tribes have tourism and fishing to sustain them.

So the CIA isn’t always bad. Once in a while they are doing the right thing. We should all embrace this Bernie Sanders Truth thing when making hard choices about the survival of every species on this planet. We are in a global thermal runaway. NASA says so. The Pentagon says so. The CIA says so. (per bernie sanders on the truth of global warming.) To survive, Homo sapiens has to bring the public in on the ugly hard truth, so there’s not so much resistance to allowing a good thing like a clean damn to go in.

TJ

1 Like

" When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. " The Duke The U.S. has a very professional foreign policy team. The ones we know about and the ones we don’t know about, too. So convenient when killing ( genocide ) people brings praise from Multi-national Corps. and obscenely wealthy people, as well.

1 Like

Thanks for keeping this deranged psychopath’s name in the public view. May we live to see Kissinger hanged at the Hague just before the death penalty is banished forever.

3 Likes

The going is getting weird all right. It’s now been over 90 friggin degrees in tropics for weeks instead of the normal 80 degrees. All the crops have burned off in the southern islands.

If you prevent this damn, you are going to usher in 17 coal plants. Because that’s what the rich will build to supply electricity to the growing overpopulation. You kill us all with your pretzel logic and denial of overpopulation. My argument is that we should try it Bernie’s Way for a while. LET’S TELL THE TRUTH ABOUT THE SIXTH GLOBAL EXTINCTION WE ARE IN THE MIDDLE OF.

No one will escape it; not even the rich. No one can live in space. The radiation will cook you like a microwave. That’s a big fraud. Nobody has lived in space for a year and lived to ripe old age. I studied and was in around aerospace for decades. I got a personal tour with Rockwell Industries on the Atlantis space shuttle and a VIP pass to watch the maiden landing of NASA’s Endeavor Spaceship since my neighbor was a big wheel at NASA. That is the singular reason we never went to Mars. NASA admits it: RADIATION destroys your immune system and you croak during the six month transit time times two.

We are going to turn into Venus, our sister planet, if we don’t do something fast. We gotta emergency crash shut-down ALL BLACK COAL and give up the Urban Private Auto lifestyle and switch to a network of super-efficient trains.

I know Clinton won’t have the spine to stand up to Wall Street and do this. Only Bernie can. So vote for Trump if Bernie gets shafted.

Are you of leadership character? Enough so to follow my science-based logic? Never do the bateria in the sealed bottle experiment? The bugs (like humans) thrive right up to the end and then suddenly all die at once as the oxygen runs out.

We are waaaayyyy past what’s fair, here. We are about preventing Titanic Earth from hitting the Global Warming Iceberg. It’s probably too late already, according to some NOAA met experts, but it’s a noble pursuit to try to wake people up; even if we lose that effort.

When the engine fire bell goes off, no Airline Captain worth his salt is going to pretend it’s not happening. You respect it as if it were real, and take the appropriate action to avert a rapid airborne inferno.

And I’m you’re Climate Captain, and I’m here to tell you Earth is on fire.

TJ

Try solar panels, etc. and quit making excuses for cold-blooded murderers. And, it’s 17 coal-powered plants, is it? I understand 11 could work, maybe less. Better yet, quit defending policies which appear to be written by the likes of Benjamin Netanyahu and Lieberman. Or, the mafia…but, I repeat myself. If that doesn’t work; well, eat a bag of salty dicks and have a couple of beers to wash it all down.:wink:

1 Like

FYI - Guy McPherson of “Nature Bats Last” attributes saying to Lily Tomlin of “Laugh In”. Good flash back.

2 Likes

And let’s not forget the NED (the so-called National Endowment for Democracy) which is nothing much more or less than a CIA front group for destabilizing regimes that have fallen out of favor with official US policy.

5 Likes

This news report highlights the best of journalism; thanks, Gloria! And the worst of Obama’s Latin America foreign policy, including USAID collusion in Berta Caceres’ assassination.

1 Like

I don’t advocate blood-soaked solutions at all. I advocated tribal re-location, and land re-distribution for them. My sarcasm that “once in a while, they make the right decision” was not ironic enough, I guess. It’s sarcasm. Next year they’ll do the same thing for a coal plant.

Should we just stick our heads in the sand instead, with all the Repukes? Keep having billions more babies without any concern for how they will eat or that they will be sitting around in darkness since you won’t let us build a clean hydro-electric damn?

How well do you think solar panels alone work in the rainy season where the sky is capped off with clouds for months? I can tell you with mine they are very iffy. You ever heard of the Monsoon?