Home | About | Donate

In 'Huge Leap Forward,' Illinois Becomes 10th State With Automatic Voter Registration

In 'Huge Leap Forward,' Illinois Becomes 10th State With Automatic Voter Registration

Andrea Germanos, staff writer

In a time of increased efforts to restrict access to the polls, Illinois took a step in the opposite direction, becoming on Monday the 10th state to enact automatic voter registration (AVR).

This is what sane government policy looks like.

Now if Illinois can leap even more forward to enact Postal Voting, (Oregon, Washington, and Colorado). Postal Voting, where voting machines, long lines in the bitter cold, voter intimidation, and other election crimes are a thing of the past!

If someone cannot get off their bums long enough to go register to vote – then maybe they shouldn’t be voting.

Automatic voter registration has been something the democrats have been pushing for decades. Why, because there are more registered democrats than republicans–however the gap is closing and registered Independents outnumber both Ds and Rs. Maybe the Ds ought to be careful what they wish for–they gave us Trump after all.

I’m not saying this is a bad idea, however many voters in this country are low-information voters. What good does that do us? This is a “leap forward” for democrats, maybe they should run Hillary again. She’d be a sure-thing the 3rd time around. (No, I do not support nor would I vote for her.)

Voter crimes I mean election crime, check out Greg Palast’ reports. Postal Voting enables the voters a couple weeks to review, research their choices, where one can mail off their ballot to the election office, or drop-off their ballot to a reinforced steel election box. It, Postal-Voting is the best thing going now in America, no wonder there is a strong effort by the powers that be to prevent Postal-Voting from going national!

Yeah, I like postal voting because I can fill out my wife’s form to make sure she “votes” the right way!
Just kidding, just kidding. No one would ever abuse such a system.

Keeping things in proper perspective–

"There are those who are asking the devotees of civil rights, “When will you be satisfied?” …We cannot be satisfied as long as a Negro in Mississippi cannot vote and a Negro in New York believes he has nothing for which to vote. No, no, we are not satisfied, and we will not be satisfied until “justice rolls down like waters, and righteousness like a mighty stream.”

Martin Luther King Jr.–I Have a Dream Address

What happens to a dream deferred?

Does it dry up
  like a raisin in the sun?
  Or fester like a sore—
  And then run?
  Does it stink like rotten meat?
  Or crust and sugar over—
  like a syrupy sweet?

Maybe it just sags
  like a heavy load.

Or does it explode?

Harlem by Langston Hughes

Auto registration is a good thing, but I agree that people are so apathetic and ignorant of issues, one wonders even if registered, they will get off their butts and actually vote. Democrats lost the last election due to apathy and voter suppression. Hilary was not a great candidate, but she was way better than the alternative who is the worse president in modern times. Hilary definitely should never run again.

Contact a county auditor office in any of the three Postal-Voting states to learn more about the layers, and layers of safe guards to prevent voter abuse. So far in my state so far so good, no abuse reported ever; however, if a voter wants to cross the line and break federal law, federal time might be awaiting. Postal-Voting the best voting method going in America now, no matter the nay-sayers.

And it obviously takes one to know one.

One improvement could be made… since not everyone has a driver’s licence or needs a state ID, how about making the voter registration a part of your income tax return? That’s how they do it in Canada, and it means virtually everyone is covered.

I certainly agree with Hillary should never run again. I did not support her nor would I ever support her. It may take Trump to force democrats to remember just who their base is. There is already a republican party, the country isn’t looking for a moderate or lite-right party. Many want real opposition and real solutions to problems that affect a good deal of the population. The top 25% can take care of themselves.

The people don’t want a phony Democrat. If it’s a choice between a genuine Republican, and a Republican in Democratic clothing, the people will choose the genuine article, every time; that is, they will take a Republican before they will a phony Democrat…

You didn’t make the “republican choice”, you made the racist choice. That was the core of Trumps campaign from the beginning and everyone knew it. It was a choice many so called progressives made. I have no desire to see Democrats, or any movement, build on that foundation.

Thanks for that little illustration of your family life. Do you allow her to talk to strangers?

Great work and hope that other states will follow –

However, our hack-able electronic voting computers still threat our votes as
they are quite easily changed by counter-programming and finally electronically
from great distances – allegedly now also by satellite.

Actually, one’s signature is still the best identification –

(the prior signatures, of course, are to be covered over when you sign in.)

Unless you are forging someone’s signature on a mail-in ballot (which is a crime)
then you are just kidding.

Both parties are owned by Koch Bros. and other large corporations –

And they are not people interested in democracy.

Great idea and there have been many new ways found to register voters –

However, each time registration of liberals rise the right wing finds a new way
to purge the rolls and/or the votes.
In San Franciso during the Dem primary, there were strong rumors that
"white out" was being used to change ballots and after recounting them, the
ballots were shredded on site.

What are you talking about? I voted for Stein.