Home | About | Donate

In Israel, Searching for Sanity

In Israel, Searching for Sanity

Michael Winship

The Israeli journalist and TV producer Avi Issacharoff looked around our Tel Aviv meeting room and sighed. “The reality is so complex to understand, it’s so difficult, that for someone who comes from abroad, it’s Mission Impossible,” he said.

I was someone from abroad, he was describing his homeland, and although it was my second time in this country, I already was wrestling once again with its impossibilities.

Israel is like a book that has to be read and "studied" over and over again until the nonsense becomes "sense".

There are sane Israelis but they aren't in charge.

Israel is being used, much like the good old U.S. of A...

Even the "sane" Israelis fail to understand the basic flaw of their existences: Their predecessors stole the Palestinian's land over 65 years ago and they are pissed and want it back. And I agree with them. The only right and proper thing for "sane" Israelis to do is lead the effort to give Palestine back to the Palestinians and leave ALL of that land to them and get out. Period.

I am not sure that any sane person has ever wanted to be in charge, anywhere.

Then again, I'm quite nuts.

Winship is quoting Avi Issacharoff from the ultra-conservative Times of Israel where things are black and white. Palestinians are terrorists and Israelis are victims. Calling the situation in Palestine complicated is often just an excuse to not speak clearly about ethnic cleansing, occupation and colonisation, this ugly triade of Zionism.

Israel and the USA are being played like a guitar and a ukelele by AIPAC and Wall Street. The most hedonistic duo ever to appear on the planet.

Putting faith in hedonism is not always wise.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.