Home | About | Donate

In Just One Decade, Corporations Destroyed 50 Million Hectares of Forest—An Area the Size of Spain

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2019/06/11/just-one-decade-corporations-destroyed-50-million-hectares-forest-area-size-spain

Hemp, hemp hooray!

6 Likes

Corporations are just never going to be good actors, despite what Biden says. To save life on Earth, these giant corporations need to be eliminated.

9 Likes

Agree! And, neither will the Republican Party or the Democratic Party (referring to leadership) they’re both taking bribes from the same corporations

4 Likes

Eliminated or democratized so that each shareholder gets one equal vote in the corporation regardless of the number of shares he or she owns.

3 Likes

Interesting idea but - LOL THEY WILL NEVER LET THAT HAPPEN.

1 Like

How about democratized by giving “ownership” of the corporation to the workers. Though even more an improvement than what you suggested, it still does not solve the problem.

Regarding your suggestion, it does not matter if every shareholder has an equal vote, it capitalist system shareholder’s interests are often at odds with the interests of the workers (the ones that produce the value), society, and the natural world.

1 Like

“In Just One Decade, Corporations Destroyed 50 Million Hectares of Forest—An Area the Size of Spain”
— RUTHLESS ARROGANCE .
• • • •
The get away with it,because NO one organized to STOP THEM!
• Not that stopping them would be easy, but if there is no informed, organized opposition, they win every game they play.

1 Like

How about some harsh new Laws preventing deforestation by anyone? Now which candidate cares enuf to get the ball rolling? Come to think of it, we need new Laws on just about everything that has turned rotten…

The workers could each buy one share of the corporation and have an equal vote as the larger shareholders. Democratizing corporations instead of eliminating them would keep their economies of scale and not hinder their ability to compete with other corporations.

I sure I am not alone in voicing this: give us some good news about the environment for a change.

Sure always was one of the solutions .

The soya grown is used for animal feed . As 650 children die every hour of starvation we really are in trouble .

3 Likes

i like the idea of worker ownership. I also like the idea of making businesses of any size responsible to community, society, and the environment.

3 Likes

Advocates of “The Austrian School of Economics” would have us believe that if these Corporations did not have to deal with Governments but instead “policed themselves” they would be so concerned about protecting their reputations that this mass deforestation would end as they would regulate themselves.

1 Like

Can’t stop eatin’ that beef. Can’t stop eatin’ that beef. Can’t stop eatin’ that beef.
Can’t stop eatin’ that beef. Can’t stop eatin’ that beef. Can’t stop eatin’ that beef.
Can’t stop eatin’ that beef. . . Palm oil, ummmmm . . . nutritious.

mail.do not reply

1 Like

It is not the corporations that are destroying our precious land, it is Public Demand for their products that contribute to the destruction of our Planet.

Deforestation to make room for Cattle to graze is the predominant problem.

Go Vegan and stop eating animals.

Consuming Plant Based proteins is not only delicious and healthy but the only way to protect our land and live in harmony with Nature and the Environment.

Stop eating dead animals and learn how to prepare tasty mouthwatering dishes from the Plant Kingdom.

Your body will love you for the transformation and you will extend the life of the Planet.

3 Likes

There is no good news. Look around. We’re raping the Earth’s resources at an ever quickeing pace. We’re digging our own graves and the graves of all living things. Wish it didn’t have to be like this.

I understand what you mean, though. We all could use some good news when it comes to the environment.

1 Like

And out of the ashes comes the Phoenix, Global Warming, a supreme predator to eliminate the super predators-humans.

And thanks for your second reply. I am sitting in my backyard watching and listening to the birds in the birch trees swaying in the wind. Hypnotic and pleasurable.

1 Like

Corporations are not real. They are a fictional legal construct designed to shield select individuals from the consequences of their actions.
All this destruction is ultimately caused by a small number of people, and the only way to stop them is to go after them directly.

2 Likes