Home | About | Donate

In 'Legacy-Defining' Moment, Roberts Forced to Read Warren's Question About His Legitimacy at Impeachment Trial

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2020/01/31/legacy-defining-moment-roberts-forced-read-warrens-question-about-his-legitimacy

It will take John Roberts all of three minutes to get past this.
Soulless. That’s his legacy.

16 Likes

Perhaps they should be screening WAG THE DOG in the background during “trial” breaks ?

10 Likes

Yes, and they should make it a double-feature with “Mr. Smith Goes to Washington.” If only this nation’s deeds were as noble as its words…

13 Likes

Brexit today.
Perhaps Trump found guilty in the senate vote today.
Would Pence give state of the union?
Would this effect Iowa caucus?
Does anyone in the rust belted, flyover lands even care?

The drama is in act three with losers about to fall onto their swords.

1 Like

Roberts cares about the majorities of Americans having lost faith in government to the extent that low voter turn out helps his party maintain power.

13 Likes

Oh, wow, Roberts had to read a question and this is supposed to be a “legacy-defining” moment? Please. This article is an attempt to puff up Warren a bit, and for what–submitting a question. Nothing has changed; Warren is still a back-stabbing political opportunist.

12 Likes

While I am not fan, "Bravo! Senator Warren asked the unaskable! Thank you!!!

7 Likes

If Pelosi hadn’t drastically narrowed the articles of impeachment down to two, it’s highly possible Lamar Alexander would admit to more impeachable offenses, so there would be at least the possibility of a third vote for witnesses and likely more. I’m demoralized by the way things.are.proceeding–or not.

7 Likes

How pathetic. I’m so glad this farce is drawing to a close. Begging at the feet of Roberts and Bolton is more than pathetic, it’s a form of the masochistic political Stockholm syndrome the Democrats have been suffering from for decades. On to Iowa, NH and the rest.

7 Likes

‘Hitler’s Courts’ (DVD) examines the perversion of laws and the courts under Nazi rule and discusses how distinguished lawmakers became complicit with the system.
The US fascists have learned well from their German counterparts…

7 Likes

If this things ends with Trump getting a pass: MASS PROTEST at Super Bowl and around the country! Disgusted

3 Likes

The Third Reich never lost the second world war it just moved from Fascist Germany to the Fourth Reich…Fascist Amerika!

5 Likes

“Obedience to just law is important, and most of us would agree it’s our civic duties to obey the laws-the social contract-of society. However, when governments that have been created to protect and secure our rights instead begin to establish laws that protect the rights of multi-national corporations and the wealthy over the civil and political rights of We the People, we have to question the legitimacy of some of these laws and the government that create them” Quote from CELDF

We don’t have a legitimate government period.

4 Likes

I think history will record that these republican Senators betrayed the american people in favor of a corrupt charlatan.

4 Likes

Right buddy…in your world facts don’t matter…or the truth either.

2 Likes

False…Warren is better than 95% of the Senators and many, many politicians in america.

4 Likes

With public sentiment in accord with bringing forth witnesses, denying witness testimony will be reflected in the voting booth which could take the Senate out of the diabolical hands of M.McConnell, which would be a great victory for the country. There is light at the end of this dark tunnel. Prayer, positive thought!

3 Likes

Yep, Murkowski just said nope to witnesses. It defies logic. I hope that all citizens who find themselves in a court of law avail themselves of the same argument; it was in my best interest to commit this offense, therefore I CAN do this with impunity. No witnesses needed, period. If the president is above the law, so too, are we all. No wonder the right to bear arms is so dearly defended (no offense); we will need them in a lawless society.

8 Likes

I keep thinking that if Trump is brazen enough to be at the Super Bowl that he is going to get the loudest boo in history. Americans believe in a fair trial not a fixed one i.e. without allowing witness testimony.

@Ticki

4 Likes